learn spanish before mid-august

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is one of my new year's resolutions: to learn spanish at least at a conversational level before this summer. i have no previous experience, and i know for sure this is not gonna be easy. i borrowed the Pimsleur Language Program for spanish (latin american) audio cds from the library, and have been learning spanish everyday for the past week. i'm already fluet at two languages; so far i feel like i'm picking up the new one very well. if i keep practicing everyday, seven months should be enough time to learn spanish very well, right? my other concern is that i might forget all these words when i start school this august. we would have to learn all these new medical words, and i wouldn't have time to practice spanish everyday when school starts; so essentially i might just forget everyrything i will be learning the next few months. what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

i find that a great way to learn and keep up with a language is to watch the news in that language. the bbc has the news in like every language. if you watched/listened to it everyday you could keep some of the language with you. also maybe you could find someone who speaks spanish who is willing to chat with you every now and then after august.

i'm trying to learn conversational swahili for a trip i'm taking this summer. i know lots of people who speak arabic and it so happens that swahili and arabic are very similar. i'm sort of trying to learn them both at once. the bbc is a life saver.

this is one of my new year's resolutions: to learn spanish at least at a conversational level before this summer. i have no previous experience, and i know for sure this is not gonna be easy. i borrowed the Pimsleur Language Program for spanish (latin american) audio cds from the library, and have been learning spanish everyday for the past week. i'm already fluet at two languages; so far i feel like i'm picking up the new one very well. if i keep practicing everyday, seven months should be enough time to learn spanish very well, right? my other concern is that i might forget all these words when i start school this august. we would have to learn all these new medical words, and i wouldn't have time to practice spanish everyday when school starts; so essentially i might just forget everyrything i will be learning the next few months. what do you guys think?

This sounds like a great idea. I'm thinking about talking a summer class to learn? I have never taken a spanish class before and have no experience with the language. I've had many years of French when i lived in canada, but after moving to the states, I'm convinced that being able to speak spanish would be tremedously useful, especially as a physician. Do you find it difficult to learn spanish on your own?

Members don't see this ad :)
if i keep practicing everyday, seven months should be enough time to learn spanish very well, right?

"Very" well might be a stretch. Depends on whether or not you're practicing conversation with other people - preferably people who speak Spanish fluently.

my other concern is that i might forget all these words when i start school this august. we would have to learn all these new medical words, and i wouldn't have time to practice spanish everyday when school starts; so essentially i might just forget everyrything i will be learning the next few months.

Honestly, this is a very real possibility. It happens to a lot of people every year - they cram in some Spanish in the summer before med school, and forget a LOT of it by the end of anatomy.

Practicing it up again after the first few months of med school might help.

is english one of them??:laugh:............just kidding around. i was able to learn spanish fluently in that same time frame, but i was speaking it all day, everyday. my advice to you is to learn as much as you can now and find some friends that speak spanish fluently so that when you start school and cant be studying spanish all the time you can at least speak it with them. in my opinion (and since it worked great for me), speaking A LOT of a new language is the best way to learn it and perfect it

Es muy posible! Buy Rosetta Stone and a few books. That's what I'm doing now.

here is a great website..spanishpod.com it has podcast everyday and great accessory for learning spanish

I can still speak a little bit of Spanish but I am losing it. I haven't really conversed since high school so I'm losing a lot of simple, important words. Hopefully I can get back into it during medial school. I don't believe any required courses in the language, correct? However, is there a possibility to get a course on the side?

i'm planning to enroll in a language immersion program in guatemala - i've heard that's a great way to learn spanish fairly quickly!

here is a great website..spanishpod.com it has podcast everyday and great accessory for learning spanish
Awesome recommendation! I, too, am in the position of trying to learn Spanish before I start med school. I think this will be a great supplement to my current practice. Thanks a lot!