Learning a foreign language, to test out of.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spirit of the Student Doc

Worrying will never change the outcome
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need to learn a foreign language by fall of 2015 to test out of. I'm actually bilingual as is, but unfortunately it doesn't count, because it isn't taught at the school (so unfair :mad:). Worst case I'd take german and genuinely enjoy it.... but why waste the time? It's not like I'll ever become proficient enough to speak it. Also, from all my trips to Germany.... everyone there is fluent in English.... although the occasional nut who hates Americans is ever so present (best to say you're Canadian).

So I'm looking at maybe pimsleur for the following:
-German
-Italian
-Turkish

... The advantage with Turkish is it's just a test. The other two involve actual people fluent in those languages...... who could fail me for whatever reason they desire. If you're born and raised in Alemania/Italia no problem.... if not well it doesn't sound easy. As for a test that only includes the basic year that would be taught at a different university (turkish isn't taught here but the test out is available).

Does anyone here have any experience learning any of these?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have to take them for a grade, take the one you would be able to get the best grade in.

If you can take it P/NP (which I did), take whatever you want.

Reactions: 1 user
I have no experience with the languages listed (my second language is Spanish) but, from what I have heard, pimsleur helps you to be able to speak the absolute basics of a language that a tourist would need to get around in a foreign country and to ask people basic questions. It will not likely get you accustomed to the rules and vocabulary you would need to pass a language exam. I could be wrong but that's what I understand about it (good tool to help start learning and getting the ear for a language, but not good enough for academics).

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
wait, is this some sort of college graduation requirement? What language do you speak now? (it may help to determine which would be easier to learn).

wait, is this some sort of college graduation requirement? What language do you speak now? (it may help to determine which would be easier to learn).
Yes, the college I'm at requires it of all students (even the option to test out costs a few hundred dollars). The classes I'm assuming have high profit margins :greedy:.

I speak an older dialect of turkish (spoken by only a few million people, almost all of us are bilingual in something).... Probably would've fit right in, prior to the Ataturk language reforms. Now not so much. I need to completely learn the grammar and the current turkish language was forced upon a latin script and remade to fit... Unfortunately there is a significant portion that doesn't make sense now, it just is. Like araba means cart but in the "new" ataturk turkish means car.... just because. For example hypocalcemia means low calcium.... not just because but based on latin roots.... Now imagine if it meant something else (just because) but you still understood it to mean low calcium. Those Turks left outside of Turkey (after WW1) now speak a very familiar but not quite the same language now.

Kurdish? (no idea, just curious).

You could always consider where you'd want to practice in the future if you want to pick something. Spanish will make your life easier just about anywhere. German/Italian aren't going to be used very commonly in the medical setting (that can also be a good thing since language learning would be a hobby and not a requirement for work). Languages like Polish or Arabic would be really helpful to know in certain Midwestern regions. It also depends on how proficient you're required to be.

I've used Pimsleur for a couple languages and would have to agree with @GodComplex. It's a good program to acquire the basics of speaking and pronunciation, but there is little grammar and the vocabulary is somewhat limited (and that's even with the full version). I would recommend pairing it with other programs such as Rosetta Stone (which helps with grammar and reading) and some program to learn more vocabulary (I've used a few for the iPad). If you HAVE to learn enough to test out of the language by next fall, though, I would recommend taking the class. I spent two to three years trying to learn Persian on my own but advanced no where near as much as after just a semester of it in a classroom. Probably depends on your particular affinity towards languages but being forced to converse with a native speaker on a regular basis is key.

I've used Pimsleur for a couple languages and would have to agree with @GodComplex. It's a good program to acquire the basics of speaking and pronunciation, but there is little grammar and the vocabulary is somewhat limited (and that's even with the full version). I would recommend pairing it with other programs such as Rosetta Stone (which helps with grammar and reading) and some program to learn more vocabulary (I've used a few for the iPad). If you HAVE to learn enough to test out of the language by next fall, though, I would recommend taking the class. I spent two to three years trying to learn Persian on my own but advanced no where near as much as after just a semester of it in a classroom. Probably depends on your particular affinity towards languages but being forced to converse with a native speaker on a regular basis is key.

Duolingo is decent and free though the number of languages available is still fairly limited. It has a different structure to Rosetta stone which is nice for a change of pace.

Rosetta stone is nice because it doesn't have the frustration factor of Duolingo, but it's whole "immersion" philosophy is annoying when you really need an explanation for a specific grammar rule, inflection, etc.

Kurdish? (no idea, just curious).

Turkmen actually, and no not the dialect they speak in Turkmenistan (which is heavily influenced by Russian).

Maybe I should just take german, it's a beautiful country and it's a lot easier learning something you have an interest in.

Duolingo is decent and free though the number of languages available is still fairly limited. It has a different structure to Rosetta stone which is nice for a change of pace.

Rosetta stone is nice because it doesn't have the frustration factor of Duolingo, but it's whole "immersion" philosophy is annoying when you really need an explanation for a specific grammar rule, inflection, etc.

Huh, it doesn't look bad and free is nice.

Turkmen actually, and no not the dialect they speak in Turkmenistan (which is heavily influenced by Russian).

Maybe I should just take german, it's a beautiful country and it's a lot easier learning something you have an interest in.

Good News! The local MD school actually will accept a year of German, I'm currently taking, to fulfill my diversity requirement.

-Bad news, I've already met that requirement. Eh, German hasn't been bad so far.

-Also, Pimsleur has been nice, not sure I'd recommend. Will post recap by Summer of how 1 year of German courses and Pimsleur went.

As for, P/NP I'm saving that for Physics or O Chem 2. I think I'll be fine in German.