Learning About Medical School for Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thf214

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first interview late this coming week, and have been doing school-specific research to be prepared to talk about the MD program and have questions specific to their school ready. What should I be looking at to be prepared for questions they might ask me? I have reveiwed specifics of the curriculum, information about research and extracurricular opportunities, and the different campuses for clinical years. I also looked up things about evidence based medicine, problem/team-based learning, and organ systems approach. What else should I look into, and besides writing out responses to common questions and practicing answering interview questions what else can I do to be prepared?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

The most common question I have had that relates specifically to the school is "Why this school?" Look at the information you are finding about the school in the context of YOU. Is the school super research-oriented? Why is that perfect for you? Is the school very community-oriented? Why does that appeal to you? There's no pat answer--these things are personal to you.

Also, I think your research of the school can also help direct some really relevant questions to ask at the end of your interview. Don't ask questions you can easily find answers to online, but do ask questions that are pertinent to the school and show that you are well-versed and interested in the school's programs.

Last thing, unless it makes you feel better to do so, don't over-prepare. Get comfortable with the most commonly-asked questiosn, know about the school, know your AMCAS and supplemental, but don't break your back getting ready--it puts a lot of pressure on an already stressful situation.

Good luck!

If you can track down current students, they are probably the best source of information. Websites only give you a glimpse of what the school has to offer, but current students can talk about what the school actually emphasizes in reality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the Interview Feedback pages of this forum

I have my first interview late this coming week, and have been doing school-specific research to be prepared to talk about the MD program and have questions specific to their school ready. What should I be looking at to be prepared for questions they might ask me? I have reveiwed specifics of the curriculum, information about research and extracurricular opportunities, and the different campuses for clinical years. I also looked up things about evidence based medicine, problem/team-based learning, and organ systems approach. What else should I look into, and besides writing out responses to common questions and practicing answering interview questions what else can I do to be prepared?

Thanks for the help!

Sometimes doing a search/talking with people can lead you too narrowly down one particular facet of the school, so I use an outline when doing this kind of research. I divide it into 4 (unequal) sections: Mission, Building (physical plant), Faculty (curriculum, etc), and students. If you can put a few items in each category, you know you've covered more than just one part of their program.

Additionally, one purpose of being asked this kind of question is to see what you value in a school, so to head it off in an interview, you can rephrase the categories as your lead-in sentence to give an overview of what you researched. Half the time (at least in an MMI) I was cut off right after stating that I looked at the school from those three (not mission) angles.

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes doing a search/talking with people can lead you too narrowly down one particular facet of the school, so I use an outline when doing this kind of research. I divide it into 4 (unequal) sections: Mission, Building (physical plant), Faculty (curriculum, etc), and students. If you can put a few items in each category, you know you've covered more than just one part of their program.

Additionally, one purpose of being asked this kind of question is to see what you value in a school, so to head it off in an interview, you can rephrase the categories as your lead-in sentence to give an overview of what you researched. Half the time (at least in an MMI) I was cut off right after stating that I looked at the school from those three (not mission) angles.
I think OP's interview has come and gone! Check the date.

Haha, I don't know how I missed that.