Learning Curve for Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alejandro

Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is directed to the "verbal masters of sdn"-This might be a stupid question, because everyone is different, but...

What's the learning curve generally for the verbal section? Like, when do you know a strategy isn't working...? Because I've heard that repetition and lots of practice are necessary for success, and there are several methods or styles out there to tackle verbal passages. The concern I'm having is that if I try something new (i.e. passaging mapping/summarizing by the passage or paragraph)...when should I be expecting progress?

We all know when we work out, working out intensively ONE night or week isn't going to make you ripped and cut...and so you need to keep hacking at it! Is verbal going to be the same?

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

This is directed to the "verbal masters of sdn"-This might be a stupid question, because everyone is different, but...

What's the learning curve generally for the verbal section? Like, when do you know a strategy isn't working...? Because I've heard that repetition and lots of practice are necessary for success, and there are several methods or styles out there to tackle verbal passages. The concern I'm having is that if I try something new (i.e. passaging mapping/summarizing by the passage or paragraph)...when should I be expecting progress?

We all know when we work out, working out intensively ONE night or week isn't going to make you ripped and cut...and so you need to keep hacking at it! Is verbal going to be the same?

Cheers,

You are hitting a "plateau" if you feel that your level of understanding doesn't change and the scores reflect that.

Hey guys,

Cheers,

Hey Brah, you obviously need to check out my pre-spring break one-week routine. Lots of carbs, lots of protein, lots of lifting.

But seriously, I am not sure what the answer is... I have been wondering the same thing, like I learn a new style of attacking verbal and usually don't do to hot...but on that note I just learned another way of doing verbal and just did really well, so I would say a few days to know whether or not it works..

edit: so for that last question, yeah, you gotta keep working with it even though it is frustrating.

You are hitting a "plateau" if you feel that your level of understanding doesn't change and the scores reflect that.

This. Give a strategy a couple of shots; if you felt like you did well but actually didn't, they may tell you a specific method isn't working.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Brah, you obviously need to check out my pre-spring break one-week routine. Lots of carbs, lots of protein, lots of lifting.

But seriously, I am not sure what the answer is... I have been wondering the same thing, like I learn a new style of attacking verbal and usually don't do to hot...but on that note I just learned another way of doing verbal and just did really well, so I would say a few days to know whether or not it works..

edit: so for that last question, yeah, you gotta keep working with it even though it is frustrating.

Do we have a miscer in our presence?

I think the learning curve eventually levels off.
For example, I started at 6, and with a little bit of effort my scores jumped to around 9. I have done hundreds of passages since then from AAMC, EK, TBR, GS, and some Kaplan- for some reason i have not been able to miss less than about 9 questions per test, which is good for only about a 10, maybe 11 if I am lucky.
I say I have not been able, because I am taking the test on friday, and I hope Ill break with the pattern.