Coursework & Fieldwork Leave of Absence in OT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmilesAllAround12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice! I'm starting my second year of OT school this fall (next week actually!) and I found out that I'm going to need to take a leave of absence starting after my spring semester. The way my program works is I'm in classes through the spring semester and then I do Level II fieldwork summer and fall, and then graduate in December. Has anyone ever taken a year off and come back for fieldwork? Were your programs willing to work with you on this? Was it weird coming back? How has this affected your student loans? Any advice is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

My friend needed to take a leave of absence due to a disability from our program for 3 months after our classes ended. She basically had to skip the first level II and make it up after most of us graduated. Our professors were more than willing to help accommodate her situation. I know she did feel weird not being on fieldwork while all of us were. She felt isolated at times when we'd be talking about it and she couldn't (probably not the best thing for us to do). She didn't take student loans so I'm not sure about that aspect. She's done great since coming back and although it set her back a few months in terms of graduating and getting her license, it was worth focusing on herself and making sure she was best prepared for fieldwork.

Reactions: 1 user
My friend needed to take a leave of absence due to a disability from our program for 3 months after our classes ended. She basically had to skip the first level II and make it up after most of us graduated. Our professors were more than willing to help accommodate her situation. I know she did feel weird not being on fieldwork while all of us were. She felt isolated at times when we'd be talking about it and she couldn't (probably not the best thing for us to do). She didn't take student loans so I'm not sure about that aspect. She's done great since coming back and although it set her back a few months in terms of graduating and getting her license, it was worth focusing on herself and making sure she was best prepared for fieldwork.
Thank you! That gives me hope that I'll be able to work it out!