Leaving one research lab for another

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureSurgical

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my dilemma everyone:

I started synthetic organic synthesis research this semester for 3 credit hours in the chemistry department. At first, I didn't mind it. Handling syringes, setting up complex reactions, and other major responsibilities. But as I get more and more into it, I find myself loathing it. It has nothing to do with the PI nor the people I work with. I just find myself doing stuff I really don't like and, as a junior in college, I don't really have the time to do things I hate. Here's the kicker though: in the early months, I failed to do a reaction correctly, so she started doing a new synthetic project with the biochemistry department that she wants me to do. This new project is very interesting to my PI and the biochemistry professor. I really don't want to disappoint my PI nor my future biochemistry 2 professor next semester, but my lack of determination and drive to go to lab has been noticeable in my recent work (nothing major, but I have "a lack of motivation when come to lab.")

This semester, however, I am also taking a neuroscience class with a professor that does pain research that I honestly find very interesting. The professor contacts the people that have a high chance to make an A (people that have to bomb the final to make a B) in the class and have declared a neuroscience minor to do research with him or other professors that do behavior physiology research. I was contacted by him to do research next semester through my senior year, as well as help me produce a poster presentation at a neuroscience conference with his graduate students for my senior thesis (optional for me, as I'm not in the honor's college.)

How do I leave the organic research lab without disappointing my research PI? Neuroscience is a passion of mine and if I don't go to medical school, I will most likely want to do grad school for neuroscience.

Other information:
  • Despite having a lack of motivation, my research PI and I are in good terms. She is very patient and understands that I am an undergrad taking other classes for my degree
  • I am getting hours for this and I have an A for this semester's work (as of midterms.)
  • The research project hasn't officially started yet. I am currently just running H' NMRs on different compounds that I will be manipulating if I were to stay in this lab.
  • I have an interview for the neuroscience lab research a week before finals (first week of December. The neuroscience professor does know about my current involvement with the chemistry department.)
  • EDIT: I am not seeking an MD/PhD
All help appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Having spent a couple of years in molecular biology, I can tell you I know that feel...it can get pretty tedious and frustrating but if it is something you really enjoy you push through it.

I guess one of the main considerations is how high is the chance that you will not go to med school? If you are seriously going to do a PhD in neuroscience then being in an appropriate lab might be an asset...but if you are going to med school, might it be better to have longer term experience in one lab? I don't know, I'm not a med school admissions expert I just wanted to share the thoughts I had since I ran across this thread.

Having publications/poster presentations is ideal and if you are not going to get that out of the current lab then maybe the change is better? Although at this point those things are going to be to late in coming for them to be part of your med school app anyway...but its always good to have as much as possible on your CV if you are planning on getting into research later.

I guess it would be helpful to know how committed you are to graduate educational plans at this point.

Last edited:
My definite goal right now is medical school. I am considering grad school only if I want to do clinical research through hospitals on patients with brain injuries (very specific, I know.)

I am not seeking to publish, but if I could publish a poster presentation, that would be great. I won't lie, I joined the research team to pad the resume and I regret it. However, I got to see what the neuroscience professor does and I am very impressed with the work done. A more clinical approach with research is something that really peaks my interest. I do know that there will be monotonous work that will be done; there is no such thing as a "dream job."

You are right, however. Dedication to projects is very important to medical school and I will only be getting 3-5 semesters (not sure if I will be taking a 5th year) of undergraduate research in my college career.

Thank you for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you really do decide to leave, I would tell your PI that you are still trying to figure things out and want to explore your other research interests. Obviously she is not going to expect her research focus to be your dream project. You could also try to set up a meeting time with her. As one of your mentors, she should try to find time and advise you on your career goals (if she really does care about your education anyways). I mean it sounds like she does.

Leaving the lab may seem awkward at first, but rest assured, labs have people coming in and out all the time. This is definitely not the first time your PI has had people not want to continue research with her. Just think of all that rotation students!

If you really don't like it, I suggest you go to a lab that you would enjoy more. I also see where you're coming from (i think), you almost feel obligated to stay in lab and deliver what's expected of you, and it is awkward/fearful just thinking about getting out, I'm in same situo, loathing, monotonous, not giving my best effort lab experience. OP, if you don't mind PM'ing me if you do decide to leave? I really want to know how you went about it and the response (hopefully positive) you recieve! Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Here's my dilemma everyone:

I started synthetic organic synthesis research this semester for 3 credit hours in the chemistry department. At first, I didn't mind it. Handling syringes, setting up complex reactions, and other major responsibilities. But as I get more and more into it, I find myself loathing it. It has nothing to do with the PI nor the people I work with. I just find myself doing stuff I really don't like and, as a junior in college, I don't really have the time to do things I hate. Here's the kicker though: in the early months, I failed to do a reaction correctly, so she started doing a new synthetic project with the biochemistry department that she wants me to do. This new project is very interesting to my PI and the biochemistry professor. I really don't want to disappoint my PI nor my future biochemistry 2 professor next semester, but my lack of determination and drive to go to lab has been noticeable in my recent work (nothing major, but I have "a lack of motivation when come to lab.")

This semester, however, I am also taking a neuroscience class with a professor that does pain research that I honestly find very interesting. The professor contacts the people that have a high chance to make an A (people that have to bomb the final to make a B) in the class and have declared a neuroscience minor to do research with him or other professors that do behavior physiology research. I was contacted by him to do research next semester through my senior year, as well as help me produce a poster presentation at a neuroscience conference with his graduate students for my senior thesis (optional for me, as I'm not in the honor's college.)

How do I leave the organic research lab without disappointing my research PI? Neuroscience is a passion of mine and if I don't go to medical school, I will most likely want to do grad school for neuroscience.

Other information:

• Despite having a lack of motivation, my research PI and I are in good terms. She is very patient and understands that I am an undergrad taking other classes for my degree
    • I am getting hours for this and I have an A for this semester's work (as of midterms.)
    • The research project hasn't officially started yet. I am currently just running H' NMRs on different compounds that I will be manipulating if I were to stay in this lab.
    • I have an interview for the neuroscience lab research a week before finals (first week of December. The neuroscience professor does know about my current involvement with the chemistry department.)
    • EDIT: I am not seeking an MD/PhD
All help appreciated!

You should talk to your PI as soon as possible about your predicament before this project progresses any further. Remember that once the project starts, you'll have to see through it's end because you promised. If she decides that she can not find a replacement, you will have to continue working with her until she does. This may also mean postponing your research opportunity with the neuroscience professor. Your neuroscience professor won't be too happy if he finds out you're still in someone else's lab.

The bottom line is, you don't move on to other obligations until you've completed your previous ones. That's just being responsible.

You should talk to your PI as soon as possible about your predicament before this project progresses any further. Remember that once the project starts, you'll have to see through it's end because you promised. If she decides that she can not find a replacement, you will have to continue working with her until she does. This may also mean postponing your research opportunity with the neuroscience professor. Your neuroscience professor won't be too happy if he finds out you're still in someone else's lab.

The bottom line is, you don't move on to other obligations until you've completed your previous ones. That's just being responsible.
Thank you for the post. All I am really doing right now is cataloging different compounds for prospective studies. Pretty much just running NMRs and making an excel spreadsheet on everything that I was given. If I were to continue in the lab, I wouldn't start any *real* work until the next semester. My current plan is to catalog all of the compounds and leave the lab so if someone else jumps on board, they can carry on from there.

Reactions: 1 users
^^^That sounds like a pretty good way to go :)

I would prefer 2 years in one lab over 1 year in 2 labs. Besides the seniority aspect, I think it shows maturity and determination—you're able to set your mind to something you want and be able to stay on top of it until the task is finished. If you really can't stand it, that's up to you. There are plenty of things we hate about the journey and do anyway.