Leaving publications off ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FriendOfCacti

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just seeking some nuanced advice on research! I am currently still in my preclinical years and have been very, very lucky to fall into a very productive publishing situation for a very competitive specialty. I’ve reached well into double digit pubs in med school with ~80% publications in that specialty and a few others in similarly competitive specialties (though not really related). Of these, I have 5+ first author papers, with most being in that main competitive specialty of interest and a couple in the others. I currently have lots more underway and feel I’ll comfortably break 20 papers by the time I apply to ERAS.

Since I’m in this very fortunate position, I am wondering if anyone out there would recommend or approve of potentially leaving a few publications off my eventual ERAS application. Since I don’t think my pure numbers are a problem, I would mainly be considering leaving off papers that were (1) not in that main specialty of interest unless I am first author, (2) an outlier from the overall narrative of my research interests (I have one first author paper in a fellowship area I am actively against pursuing), (3) flimsier publications like commentaries or (4) just low author to the point that it would drown out some of my higher author papers.

I found one old thread where one person slightly recommended that it would be ok to leave off publications, but the rest of the commenters in the thread were very against that idea. I’m wondering if anyone would like to give advice on this particular situation and whether or not it would be more reasonable here. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you'll find various opinions on this. Personally, I would list everything. I usually just Pubmed whoever I'm interviewing to see the list of pubs anyway. It doesn't matter if outside the field or this journal or that. If it's on Pubmed, it should be on the resume/CV. The cautionary tale here is that anything is fair game for interview questions. I was asked about what I did for one of my 3rd author papers or the research behind a paper I did years ago, random stuff like that.

If I Pubmed someone, I wouldn't care that they left off a paper here or there. Really I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
List them all. There's no need to leave them off, they don't drown out anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep list em all. Especially given that the majority are within your specialty which shows your commitment to the specialty, your other papers will just show that you were productive even before you knew you were interested in this competitive specialty. Always better to have more pubs than less.

I would argue that the only reason to potentially leave them off is if you are unable to talk about the project in any detail (if you can't describe what the project did, how involved were you really?). There's not going to be any expectation for letters from those labs, and once you're published, you're published. There is otherwise no advantage to leaving them off.

Reactions: 1 user
Adding to the group consensus but, I would not leave any publication off ERAS no matter how many you have

Reactions: 1 users