Leaving retail and applying to hospital job: the references stage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChainedNoMore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Does anyone know the turn around from the time your references fill out their forms and the time they officially say you got the job? Also, does it matter that the manager references were from dls from years ago, and not recently.

Members don't see this ad.

2 days for my friend and almost 4 weeks for me hehe ( different hospital system though). But once they ask for your reference, you almost already got the job. Congratulations!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Update: Actually got the job!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2 days for my friend and almost 4 weeks for me hehe ( different hospital system though). But once they ask for your reference, you almost already got the job. Congratulations!
I have seen exactly once where we checked references that they didn't get the job - HR wouldn't tell us what came up - but that we could wait and hire them in 3 months thou - weird

Seriously how realistic is it to get a hospital job for retail rph with no prior hospital experience? Is it impossible or doable?

Covid must have changed things as I have heard even hospital pharmacists are being burned out.

Seriously how realistic is it to get a hospital job for retail rph with no prior hospital experience? Is it impossible or doable?

Covid must have changed things as I have heard even hospital pharmacists are being burned out.
relatively hard - you have two main options.
1. Go to a less than desirable rural location where people don't want to live to cut your teeth.
2. Go the opposite extreme and find a job a major medical center/university hospital where they have seperate operations/clincial teams. The operations work in unbeliably boring (in my opinion) - but it also can be incredibly low stress. They often have positions where you simply check product and oversee techs doing distrubution. But always, buyer be ware, your job can be downsized if they implement tech-check-tech, or laws change that allow a barcode scanner to do your job.

It is doable but it is hard. Your best option is rural safety-net hospitals. I've seen many retail RPh succeeded this way. The other option is trying for outpatient pharmacy within a health system. However, this route is much harder if you dont have the "right connection ". Also it is very likely that you would start out as a per diem first.

Ok i am intrigued. What happened? Did they change their mind. Did there first choice renege?
The hiring process was very long. It took about 2 weeks for them to send me an offer after the references part. I assumed they had moved on to another candidate (during those long 2 weeks)...until I saw a surprise email about an offer. :giggle:

Reactions: 2 users
The hiring process was very long. It took about 2 weeks for them to send me an offer after the references part. I assumed they had moved on to another candidate (during those long 2 weeks)...until I saw a surprise email about an offer. :giggle:
Surprising they waited that long. Nowadays if you wait to make an offer you might lose a candidate.

Better not apply for the federal government. You'll be waiting weeks/months.
Yep. Google and Facebook as well. Except the latter companies can get away with a 2 month interview process.