LECOM-B Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noleknight16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Definitely interested in LECOM-B since I am a FL resident and the COA is low for a DO school. Indifferent about PBL, though I do think I may be better at it than a traditional lecture curriculum. What I am worried about is rotations. I hear LECOM-B student have to set up their own rotation sites and that most won't stay in the Bradenton area during rotations because of that.

Anyone have information to share on the school? Pros and cons?

Members don't see this ad.

About a third of the students do year longs in either Orlando or St Pete. Some stay around the Bradenton area. Some take the leftover spots from the Erie campus. You could also hypothetically set up your own rotations wherever I think as long as you get all of the paperwork filled out. 4 year long sites in San Diego were also offered starting this year. You definitely have lots of options. Granted I am just an incoming MS1 so I can only go off of what I have heard.

About a third of the students do year longs in either Orlando or St Pete. Some stay around the Bradenton area. Some take the leftover spots from the Erie campus. You could also hypothetically set up your own rotations wherever I think as long as you get all of the paperwork filled out. 4 year long sites in San Diego were also offered starting this year. You definitely have lots of options. Granted I am just an incoming MS1 so I can only go off of what I have heard.

Thank you for the info. So if I wanted to stay in Bradenton for the rotations, that shouldn't be too big of an issue?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the info. So if I wanted to stay in Bradenton for the rotations, that shouldn't be too big of an issue?

Usually not. Think of it more as the flexibility to do what you want to do where you want to do it. Most people just want to get out of Bradenton.

That being said, I'd consider doing at least some rotations outside Bradenton. You'll have better experiences for the most part in other places. The Bradenton rotations are fine, but it's nice being at a year-long spot, the big cities have more pathology and some are actual teaching hospitals, etc.

Other things to note:
- you don't *have* to set up your own sites. Many people choose to so they can go wherever they want, but it's very easy to use the established LECOM sites.

- I've also seen a bunch of talk elsewhere about many of the usual gripes people have about LECOM-B: no drinks outside the cafeteria, dress code, having to badge into the building, etc. All I say is that these things aren't really issues for the following reasons:
  1. It's training for being in a hospital, where you'll also have to do all these things
  2. You're rarely in the building anyways most of the time. Me and almost everyone I knew were there for the 2 hours a day of PBL or OMM and then bailed and studied somewhere more comfortable: home, starbucks, beach, pool, etc .

Last edited:
This is definitely one of my top choices

With the exception of your peds and ob rotations there were little problems for me or my classmates that did want to stay in the area

Usually not. Think of it more as the flexibility to do what you want to do where you want to do it. Most people just want to get out of Bradenton.

That being said, I'd consider doing at least some rotations outside Bradenton. You'll have better experiences for the most part in other places. The Bradenton rotations are fine, but it's nice being at a year-long spot, the big cities have more pathology and some are actual teaching hospitals, etc.

Other things to note:
- you don't *have* to set up your own sites. Many people choose to so they can go wherever they want, but it's very easy to use the established LECOM sites.

- I've also seen a bunch of talk elsewhere about many of the usual gripes people have about LECOM-B: no drinks outside the cafeteria, dress code, having to badge into the building, etc. All I say is that these things aren't really issues for the following reasons:
  1. It's training for being in a hospital, where you'll also have to do all these things
  2. You're rarely in the building anyways most of the time. Me and almost everyone I knew were there for the 2 hours a day of PBL or OMM and then bailed and studied somewhere more comfortable: home, starbucks, beach, pool, etc .

Why do they want to get out of bradenton?

Why do they want to get out of bradenton?

No idea. Haha. I love it. It's a small town. Most people wanted to go live in the big city, most people went on to residencies in large cities. NYC, Chicago, Houston, etc.

The Bradenton-Sarasota area isn't tiny, but not big either. I felt there was plenty to do, especially if you like water sports and arts (great orchestra, ballet). Plus Tampa is only an hour away. Disney is 2 hours away. We had a year pass during first and second year and went at least 1-2 times per month.

No idea. Haha. I love it. It's a small town. Most people wanted to go live in the big city, most people went on to residencies in large cities. NYC, Chicago, Houston, etc.

The Bradenton-Sarasota area isn't tiny, but not big either. I felt there was plenty to do, especially if you like water sports and arts (great orchestra, ballet). Plus Tampa is only an hour away. Disney is 2 hours away. We had a year pass during first and second year and went at least 1-2 times per month.

Free pass to Disney?? That's dope! Do they still do that?

Free pass to Disney?? That's dope! Do they still do that?

Not free. For Florida residents you get a good deal on a year long pass. It's still a couple hundred bucks a person. Worth it, IMO. At least for a year.