LECOM Boards Part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adlogin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the first class that enrolled at LECOM School of Dentistry was close to take their boards when I interviewed in October. Have they already taken their boards by now? Are there any students at LECOM that can tell whether the PBL curriculum prepared them for the boards? And, when will we know what the passing rate for the boards was at LECOM?

I was just accepted at LECOM and am trying to figure out if I should attend. It does seem like a promising school!

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to students at USC and they said PBL prepared them very well for the boards. Students at LECOM didnt really tell me about anything.

I know that the first class that enrolled at LECOM School of Dentistry was close to take their boards when I interviewed in October. Have they already taken their boards by now? Are there any students at LECOM that can tell whether the PBL curriculum prepared them for the boards? And, when will we know what the passing rate for the boards was at LECOM?

I was just accepted at LECOM and am trying to figure out if I should attend. It does seem like a promising school!

I inquired as to when they will be taken when I interviewed this cycle. They'll be taken right about this time and scores will be available in July per the dean.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
July? What's that all about? First-time pass rate shouldn't take 6 months to figure out if they're all taking it now.

The overall pass rate for NBDE I is fantastic. I don't know, but I really doubt there are schools out there with 70-80% pass rates when the average is so high. And even if there are, how much of that is a product of the student and not the school? This is pass-fail, after all. You notice how DAT takers flock to the same popular study material regardless of school or background. I think no matter how awesome your school prepares you, you're likely going to use the same study materials everyone uses anyway and you're probably going to pass. I laud the person who rolls in without studying and passing. I guess it's good to be curious, but if they got the okay to open with that curriculum, you should get enough foundation to take care of business on part I with a couple of weeks of solid prep on your part. I'd be more curious about what kind of time the give you off to study on your own. I guess some have nothing going on while others just have a lighter load to give you study time. Part II is a different story.

Reactions: 1 user
The lack of information tells you everything you need to know.

The lack of information tells you everything you need to know.

Yeah, it tells you that their class is taking them right now and it takes a couple of weeks for scores to come back. Are you looking for them to publish a predicted pass rate?

How long after taking the NBDE pt 1 does it usually take to receive one's score?

A couple of weeks.

I want to hear about this too

Expecting dental schools to prepare you for the NBDE boards is like expecting colleges/universities to prepare you for the DAT.

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder if there is any data available yet. I will not be attending LECOM, but I went for an interview and wonder whether the PBL curriculum helps students prepare for their boards.

I heard about 60% people got their results back and only one didn't pass. Other 40% people are waiting for their results or have to take them.

That is correct. So far 69/70 have passed part 1

I heard about 60% people got their results back and only one didn't pass. Other 40% people are waiting for their results or have to take them.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1405855990.911183.jpg

What exactly are we waiting on here? Are we expecting something bad? Is anyone going to be floored when 90%+ pass?

What exactly are we waiting on here? Are we expecting something bad? Is anyone going to be floored when 90%+ pass?

Im not sure, I visited lecom and loved it. But everyone seems to go crazy over it so im wondering if they know something that I dont know. isnt pbl used at other schools anyways? Why is it such a big deal?

Now, this is going to be another selling point for LECOM.

Im not sure, I visited lecom and loved it. But everyone seems to go crazy over it so im wondering if they know something that I dont know. isnt pbl used at other schools anyways? Why is it such a big deal?
I don't think PBL is as hellish as people make it out to be on here, but I did get the distinct impression that there would be a lot of "self-directed learning" (seems like a thinly veiled way of saying "teach yourself") at LECOM. There are scheduled study groups that meet with some regularity, but as of last year when I interviewed, they were facilitated by people with little to no formal science education. Marjorie Bell, who was sort of the hostess of the interviews last year, has an MBA and mentioned that she was one of the facilitators. I think their role is more to keep students on track and actually doing work, but regardless, I didn't like the idea of shelling out hundreds of thousands of dollars and not having a PhD, or at least someone with a science education, in the sessions to bounce questions off of. But clearly their teaching methods aren't failing if 90%+ of their class are passing the boards. Take this all with a grain of salt, though, in that it's been almost a year since I interviewed at LECOM and I'm sure a lot has changed.

My contention with LECOM was more that the school is designed solely to pump out general dentists and offered little by way of externship or research opportunities. They said at the interview if you did want to specialize that they would keep your grades on file, but it didn't seem like an atmosphere in which that was encouraged. In addition, when I interviewed last year, many of the school's selling points were untested products (patient base/patient management at their brand new clinic, relocating to DeFuniak Springs or somewhere in PA during D4, board pass rates, etc).

I interviewed at LECOM, and I fell in love with the school. It is beautiful, and do people forget that PBL was created by Harvard? Yes, HARVARD!

I don't understand why people are so quick to judge and look down upon LECOM Dental School - when it is only 2 or 3 years old. It is a brand new school, and it still needs time to grow. I mean, I don't ever hear people talking bad about Roseman University Dental School - and Roseman is roughly the same age as LECOM.

Imagine if people spoke badly about the college or university where you got your education - would you feel hurt and disrespected?

I have the utmost respect for students who attend LECOM Dental School.

When UNLV dental school first opened - people talked bad about the school, saying that the first graduating class of UNLV would not be able to specialize. However, four years later, people who spoke badly about UNLV were proven wrong when so many of the first graduates of UNLV got into highly competitive dental specialties. Now, during dental school interview days, UNLV loves to BRAG about their student's acceptances into competitive residencies.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the "wehatelecom" website is down. Huh! Well there ya go.