LECOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just ask around and you should be able to find a group. my group is always willing to help out anyone just gotta ask.

Members don't see this ad.

still haven't gotten my grade from OMM practical last week! and I so wish I would have gotten picked today instead of last week-- today's was soooo easy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I am very interested in LECOM and figured I would use their biochem. text as the basis of my "self-biochem" study, lol. I got the Marks text they use. Can anyone tell me what chapters are covered in the LECOM biochem course or, better yet, send me a copy of the syllabus if it's a PDF file?

Thanks!

Hi all LECOM students!

Have any of you done youre clinicals in Philadelphia. I think one of their affiilates is Frankford Hospital/Jefferson there.

Do you stay in one place in yers 3 and 4 or do you keep moving around? or its it your option?

is this the current list of clinical sites : http://www.lecom.edu/lecom/application/rotations.asp

OR if there is one a student has that would be welcome too!

Hey all, I am very interested in LECOM and figured I would use their biochem. text as the basis of my "self-biochem" study, lol. I got the Marks text they use. Can anyone tell me what chapters are covered in the LECOM biochem course or, better yet, send me a copy of the syllabus if it's a PDF file?

Thanks!

Bump

Thanks!

Hey, we don't have a syllabus that lists the reading. But here's what we have been assigned so far...chapters 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 11. Enjoy!

Hey, we don't have a syllabus that lists the reading. But here's what we have been assigned so far...chapters 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 11. Enjoy!

Thank you very much! That sure skips a lot of important chapters, so I'm curious if they just assume you know the other stuff or are going to go back and some point and cover those chapters. So your first exam was only on those chapters?

Thanks again! It feels great to teach myself biochem "LECOM style":laugh:

Thank you very much! That sure skips a lot of important chapters, so I'm curious if they just assume you know the other stuff or are going to go back and some point and cover those chapters. So your first exam was only on those chapters?

Thanks again! It feels great to teach myself biochem "LECOM style":laugh:

The first test actually included chapters 1, 5, 6, and 7. On our first CORE exam, we had physiology, pathology, and histology in addition to biochemistry. I am not sure what is covered in the chapters we skipped or if we will cover them. I don't have the textbook...studying the slides works for me. ;)

Did you guys here about the OMM lab being closed after hours because they caught some students in there gettin' down and dirty? :eek: Hopefully it wasn't on my table... :scared:

Has anyone had excellent insurance that they don't want to give up - even though it's not on a parent's or spouse's plan? I have insurance that doesn't require any co-pays and costs almost nothing. I have alot of planned dr. appointments in the future and LECOM says you have to take their insurance which will total about $6,000 dollars without dental insurance (which I currently have). This would cause me to pay $6,000 for something that is extremely worse than what I currently have and not allow me to see my current doctor any longer. Has anyone had this situation or have any ideas if you could reject this plan?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Can anyone tell me which biochem. chapters have been assigned past chapter 11? Thank you very much!!!

We had our 2nd test today and it just had chapters 11 and 49 as far as Biochem goes.

So make sure you read chapters 11-49 to be prepared. It seems like a lot but it is essential!

:confused:

We had our 2nd test today and it just had chapters 11 and 49 as far as Biochem goes.

Thanks for your reply.

Is that 11 AND 49 or 11 THROUGH 49?

Thanks!

Just 11 AND 49. There were 4 Biochem lectures on the test about cell signaling and cell matrix proteins.

Anyone else think OPP is a joke so far?

"Atrophy... less big???"
"What color is it? Is it red? Is it blue?"

Speaking of less big, is anyone going to try and get one of those new apartments the Feretti's are building across the street from school? I'm thinking I might put my name on the waiting list. How nice will it be to have a tunnel to school when there's 4 feet of snow outside, you ask? Very nice! Plus there's going to be an actual gym (unlike the "gym" at school), and a hottub. Oh, do I wish I had one at my place now...

Hi,

I have an interview with LECOM Bradenton next month. For those at that campus, could you guys tell me what kinda questions they asked you at the interview, and what to expect? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have an interview with LECOM Bradenton next month. For the students currently enrolled at that campus, could you guys tell me what kinda questions they asked you at the interview, and what to expect? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have an interview with LECOM Bradenton next month. For the students currently enrolled at that campus, could you guys tell me what kinda questions they asked you at the interview, and what to expect? Thanks in advance.

There is interview feedback for all schools located here:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/

Just click on the "Browse Feedback" link on the right, then find LECOM - Bradenton in the dropdown box. From there, you can click on each person's feedback and most of them will tell you what questions they were asked. Good luck on your interview!!!

Anyone else think OPP is a joke so far?

"Atrophy... less big???"
"What color is it? Is it red? Is it blue?"

Speaking of less big, is anyone going to try and get one of those new apartments the Feretti's are building across the street from school? I'm thinking I might put my name on the waiting list. How nice will it be to have a tunnel to school when there's 4 feet of snow outside, you ask? Very nice! Plus there's going to be an actual gym (unlike the "gym" at school), and a hottub. Oh, do I wish I had one at my place now...

what's the rent like on those places??

I heard they were going to be really reasonable... And with an underground tunnel... how can you beat that!?!

So who's been feeling a little restless in this crisp, fall weather! I want to go out for Pumpkin Spice latte's at Starbucks or drive through the country and look at the leaves instead of study!! I think it's just the mid-semester blues I usually got while in undergrad, although that didn't usually occur until about the middle of October...

I dunno, I just envy Rip Van Winkle these days. Haven't slept well once since 7/26...i will remember the date exactly, because that was the day I got accepted here.

I feel like I am losing my cool in gross lab these days. I really hate Anatomy...and I feel like the idiot of my lab group.

I dunno, I just envy Rip Van Winkle these days. Haven't slept well once since 7/26...i will remember the date exactly, because that was the day I got accepted here.

I feel like I am losing my cool in gross lab these days. I really hate Anatomy...and I feel like the idiot of my lab group.

For an individual who is looking to go to LECOM, this really doesn't sound very encouraging, lol.

First, why has sleep been so difficult???

For an individual who is looking to go to LECOM, this really doesn't sound very encouraging, lol.

First, why has sleep been so difficult???

Don't worry about the lack of sleep... I get plenty of it - at least 8 hours a night, sometimes 9! Although I do know some kids that stay up to the wee hours of the morning studying... crazy if you ask me.

I guess it depends on your sleep and study habits. Good study time = less study time and more sleep! Or more time to watch David Hasselhoff on youtube!

I have a 2 year old who's never once slept through the night. I can tell you as the months and years go by, you forget what good sleep was like anyway. Pffft, sleep is for suckers :thumbup:

Hi, I was recently accepted to LECOM-Bradenton for the class of 2011. I am really excited about it. However I have one concern and was hoping that maybe some students could clear it up a bit.

How does the rotations work the 3rd year? Do you get to stay in the area or do you go all around the state and possibly out of state? When I asked about this at the interview, I was told that they can't guarantee that I would stay in state. I have grown up in the Tampa area and would really like to stay close by. I am also looking into buying a house with my fiancé and not being able to live there for two years will kind of kill that idea. If anybody can offer and information about this that would be great. Thanks for the help!

Anybody looking for housing? We have a four bedroom house but only have 3 people..........we are all lecom students........it will be 450 including all utilities in an extremely nice house.......im me if you want....... nickb423

How's everyone doing? Ready for school in a few weeks!? :)

Hey guys,

I'm going to be a second year, and I had a question about the spring schedule for the class of 2010.

There was a week or so in April that just had board review all week. Are you in lecture for that time, or is that self study?
Also, I am looking to take the boards late April, early May. Would that be possible with the way that they have made the schedule?

Thanks.

Well... When I was there they brought in KAPLAN for that whole week and half the next... so we were in lectures all day... and yes they still required dress code... kind of a bummer, but you're used to it by now... As for scheduling, you need to sign up for ACLS still, the earliest I was able to schedule my COMLEX was May 22nd. I do recommend taking it early though... it seems the earlier you take it the easier it is... or so it seemed...

Good luck...

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mark OMS IV
LECOM B

The April board review was not "mandatory" unless you had below a 3.0, however there were some good review's...ie Moscatello, Seastone, Nassiri, Barone...The hard part was the Derm, Psych, and ACLS that are thrown into the couple months of class (and the fact that most of those are distance education!) We also did not get a KAPLAN review...the school experimented with Princeton review for our class which was AWFUL (no lectures, mostly terrible books, online exams/teaching tools)!!! I would have liked to take my boards at the end of May/early June since we weren't done with classes and exams until the 16th of May, however the only dates available were May ??-24 and June 9th. I went with the 9th so that I could travel back home right after exams were over and have time to see my fam and study (however this required taking June as my vacation month for rotations...which I also enjoyed since I ended up getting about 6wks in a row.)
Hope this helps!

The April board review was not "mandatory" unless you had below a 3.0, however there were some good review's...ie Moscatello, Seastone, Nassiri, Barone...The hard part was the Derm, Psych, and ACLS that are thrown into the couple months of class (and the fact that most of those are distance education!) We also did not get a KAPLAN review...the school experimented with Princeton review for our class which was AWFUL (no lectures, mostly terrible books, online exams/teaching tools)!!! I would have liked to take my boards at the end of May/early June since we weren't done with classes and exams until the 16th of May, however the only dates available were May ??-24 and June 9th. I went with the 9th so that I could travel back home right after exams were over and have time to see my fam and study (however this required taking June as my vacation month for rotations...which I also enjoyed since I ended up getting about 6wks in a row.)
Hope this helps!

I took my test on May 21st. It is definately doable, but to take it early you need to be pretty well prepared because LECOM won't give you any truely "free time" until around mid-May. I had to do ACLS the week before my exam, but to be honest, by then I was so ready to take it and get it over with that it was fine! Most students I have talked to who waited until June had a hard time mixing their board studying with rotations. Rotations aren't only really stressful for beginning 3rd years, but they also take a lot of time! So if you are wanting a good score on the boards it'd be best to prepare early and get them done before your rotations start June 1st.

They only give you a certain amount of dates to choose from though. Go to the nbome.org website and you can find the scheduled dates. They haven't released next years' dates yet, but when they do you will have a better idea of when you might want to take it. If you have any other questions about a board studying schedule or what kind of books to use feel free to pm me. The Princeton review series is garbage, Kaplan is pretty good but LECOM didn't give that to us last year. Every subject has a couple books that people usually find very helpful, and certain subjects (Pathology, Micro) are definately more "high-yield" than others (physiology, biochem).