LECOM Erie Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cornellmedic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured that I would start a new thread for those of us who will be or will likely be attending there this fall. The other one is a bit old. Speak up.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Red,

Should ALL the LECOM class of '09 reply, or just the Americans? Oh, and by the way, the FAB has their eye on you... so if you still wanna be cloned, you better think twice about it!

Speak up M.D.s.!.. "Wait... you forgot D.O.s!"

I will be joining you this year at LECOM. What pathway are you enrolled in? I have been kinda curious where everyone is coming from, as I am moving from Colorado in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
titusracerx said:
I will be joining you this year at LECOM. What pathway are you enrolled in? I have been kinda curious where everyone is coming from, as I am moving from Colorado in May.
Coming from Texas for PBL!

I just wanted to say hi and welcome to LECOM. I am a current MS1, so if you have any questions about LECOM or Erie feel free to ask. :)

jstockwell said:
I just wanted to say hi and welcome to LECOM. I am a current MS1, so if you have any questions about LECOM or Erie feel free to ask. :)
Does the school have bike racks so I can ride my bike to school??

Just wanted to say Hi to my fellow LECOMer's...I'll be moving from Ann Arbor, MI and am part of the LDP class. I look forward to meeting each of you in the fall.

allendo said:

I was wondering that too?

If not we will have to change that!

allendo said:

Not sure if they do now.....they did, and I rode mine a few times every year, but remember a) there is a dress code and riding in slacks, shirt and tie, isnt all that fun, b) weather isnt very condusive for most of the school year (oct-apr, snow will be in the forecast....aug/sept high humidity and potential rain)
It can be done, just dont plan on doing it much.
stomper

That really sucks. My wife and I are bringing 2 road bikes, and 2 mountain bikes from Colorado. I was really looking forward to getting some "East Coast" riding done. I know that the campus has a dress code, but what if we show up and change before classes start. Isn't that acceptable? :confused:

titusracerx said:
That really sucks. My wife and I are bringing 2 road bikes, and 2 mountain bikes from Colorado. I was really looking forward to getting some "East Coast" riding done. I know that the campus has a dress code, but what if we show up and change before classes start. Isn't that acceptable? :confused:

It would be acceptable if you plan on changing in the bushes, but otherwise, they won't let you in the building between 8 and 4:30 out of dress code. ;)

jjsmalls said:
It would be acceptable if you plan on changing in the bushes, but otherwise, they won't let you in the building between 8 and 4:30 out of dress code. ;)

You cant change in a locker roome before hand??

If not, thats crazy. Has anyone tried to appeal to the school about biking to school?

sfrduder said:
You cant change in a locker roome before hand??

If not, thats crazy. Has anyone tried to appeal to the school about biking to school?

Goodluck....Obviously you dont know the administration there......
Ill give you an idea with this and the complex that they have of themselves....

http://www.ajuel.com/Lecom framepage.htm

I love this site....and I ahve to throw it out every now and then to the incomers....
53 more days....graduation (6/12).....then no more dealing with the administration!!!
stomper

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wait til Anatomy starts (along with embryology and histology), followed by Core sciences (Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Medical Genetics, Pathology, Immunology), followed by systems (Dermatology, Musculoskeletal/Rheumatology, and Neuro)... of course thrown into the mix along with all of that you'll experience what it's like to cram OMM into an already busy schedule, H&P/OPEP obligations, Spirituality & Medicine, Health Care management.... etc etc etc.

You won't have time to think about getting bike racks, muuahahahahhaa!!!!

Don't worry, don't stress out, you'll all survive... I have thus far and it's been an interesting, difficult, challenging, (at times quite frustrating) yet fun ride.

Actually I never found workout time a hard thing to come by. Ive been able to lift 6days/week (45-90min each session) cardio 2-5days/week (30-60min) in the early am. I wasnt able to do any bodybuilding shows....but that had more to do with the diet and carb depletion, et al. and brain function (or rather lack thereof). Aside from a couple of 2 week rotations without access to a gym, I never missed the gym, and NEVER missed a cardio workout. Now internship and residency....this may be a different story....Ill be happy with 3-4 workouts (either cardio or weights)/week.
stomper

I hope those statues are kept in there private homes.

Stomper! Thats a really creepy website. It would be really weird to see a statue of them peeing in a pool or a statue of them staring at ya when using the latrine. :eek:

Stomper, those statues always provide me with entertainment. :laugh: The best is that they make Dr. Silvia look like an Audrey Hepburn type, when she really looks more like Harry Potter.

Unfortunately, the Ferrettis can't build the statues until they die, so they will never get to see big stone depictions of themselves.

Hi everyone -

I'll be joining the PBL Pathway - I'm so psyched, and I can't wait to meet everyone at orientation in late July.

Any advice on housing? I'm looking to find a nice condo/apt nearby with one or two bedrooms and preferably garage access...

jerseygirl...what you're looking for is Lakeview Apts. they're beautiful, spacious, and right next to LECOM. they have one bdrm apts or 2 bdrm townhouses both with garages. they are kind of pricey if you're alone but great with a roommate. but then again, housing in erie in general is pretty cheap so it depends what your budget is and your definition of pricey. by the way, i'm from jersey too ;)

damn I wish I could be officially part of this thread. Holla out to the Jersey peeps! :)

mrm1682 said:
jerseygirl...what you're looking for is Lakeview Apts. they're beautiful, spacious, and right next to LECOM. they have one bdrm apts or 2 bdrm townhouses both with garages. they are kind of pricey if you're alone but great with a roommate. but then again, housing in erie in general is pretty cheap so it depends what your budget is and your definition of pricey. by the way, i'm from jersey too ;)

Good lookin' out! Jersey in the hiz-ous! ;)

Lakeview sounds exactly like what I want... I've read really good things about the complex on other postings as well, so I will definitely be checking it out first when I go apartment hunting in a couple of weeks. If you don't mind me asking you a few more questions about lakeview apts, about how much is a one bedroom apt there, if you can recall? And just how close is it to LECOM?

Also, when is everyone gonna be making the move out to Erie? I'm shooting for early July so I can get acquainted with the area, and get settled with my furniture and whatnot. When I interviewed up there I didn't even get to see Lake Erie at all! Can you believe that? So lame.. so I'm excited about going back up there and really getting to check out the area.

The same company that owns Lakeview also owns Scenery Hills apts. They are the exact same as the townhomes at Lakeview in terms of floor plan and design, but I think a little older (built in '97). Don't know if they have one BR's up there, but they are right next to LECOM (I think less than a block away, walking distance). The two BR townhomes there are 695/month, they are 705/mo at Lakeview. The only disadvantage is that the laundry/and gym facilities are at Lakeview, so you gotta go there to use them.

prankster said:
The same company that owns Lakeview also owns Scenery Hills apts. They are the exact same as the townhomes at Lakeview in terms of floor plan and design, but I think a little older (built in '97). Don't know if they have one BR's up there, but they are right next to LECOM (I think less than a block away, walking distance). The two BR townhomes there are 695/month, they are 705/mo at Lakeview. The only disadvantage is that the laundry/and gym facilities are at Lakeview, so you gotta go there to use them.

Maleno owns both. I lived at Scenery Hills for MSI-MSIII. Great apt. They also will lease washer and dryers for an extra 30 a month.

stomper627 said:
Maleno owns both. I lived at Scenery Hills for MSI-MSIII. Great apt. They also will lease washer and dryers for an extra 30 a month.

Thanks for the info guys!

Does scenery hills have one bedroom apts? Do a lot of LECOMers live in scenery hills and lakeview?

yup...exactly what everyone else posted. i will be moving in july 22nd which is only a few days before orientation but my first choice apt opened up and i just had to jump on it. i kind of got a feel for the area when i went apartment shopping though (there really isn't THAT much to erie so you learn where the main areas are fairly quickly). good luck apt hunting!

Thanks again everyone... See ya all in July!

Hi everyone-
I am fellow LECOMER class of '09 as well. I am moving to Erie the last weekend of May and will be dissecting in the anatomy lab this summer at LECOM. I got a really nice townhouse in Lakeview (I'm rooming with a MS II) because I'm moving in for June, but the lady at Lakeview said that there is already a waiting list for people that want to move in in July. She said that there will be alot of apartments and townhouses opening up, but if you think you want to live there I suggest you call asap just to get on the list. I hope this helps you out! Also, if anyone is coming up early this summer let me know, I'd love to meet you! :)

DrDick said:
Hi everyone-
I am fellow LECOMER class of '09 as well. I am moving to Erie the last weekend of May and will be dissecting in the anatomy lab this summer at LECOM. I got a really nice townhouse in Lakeview (I'm rooming with a MS II) because I'm moving in for June, but the lady at Lakeview said that there is already a waiting list for people that want to move in in July. She said that there will be alot of apartments and townhouses opening up, but if you think you want to live there I suggest you call asap just to get on the list. I hope this helps you out! Also, if anyone is coming up early this summer let me know, I'd love to meet you! :)

Along with lakeview and scenery hills (Maleno Dvlp), check with Pastore. The have Willowood and a new one (I think Laurel RIdge???) which just opened a year ago. Its even closer to school than scenery hills. I know pastore also owns a few more units closer to Millcreek Comm. Hospital, but Im not sure what the names are.
All, I believe are similar in prices....anyone coming from a big city willl be amazed at how cheap living in erie is.
Anyway, my place will be open in a week (were moving out on 5/9)...even though our lease is up may 31...
Its a nice 1 bdrm for 450/mo. Its perfect for a young couple.
I also have a Washer and Dryer for sale....almost brand new (weve only had them for 3 months)....we dont really want to take them with us as our apt has them and wed have to pay for storage...they are Admirals by maytag and were asking for 550 for both, but are willing to deal....
stomper

stomper627 said:

stomper, are scenery hills walking distance from LECOM, or do you have to drive? Also, is there a sidewalk so that it is easy to walk and you dont end up walking on the road?

Hi everyone, I have posted this before

I am living the Buffalo. I will be attending Erie this fall in the ISP program and looking for a place/room to rent for the initial 12 weeks I will be there---and only during the week at that. Any one with ideas or suggestions I would appreciate it

prankster said:
stomper, are scenery hills walking distance from LECOM, or do you have to drive? Also, is there a sidewalk so that it is easy to walk and you dont end up walking on the road?

It is walking distance....and there is a shoulder (no sidewalk). Unfortunately, W Grandview is pretty busy with the speed limit at 45 (but cars are usually over 50). Also note that you have to walk to the back of the school to get in, you cant enter along the W Grandview entrance.
It can be done, ive both walked and riden a mountain bike. However, in Erie, dont count on the weather being kind....rain, wind (whips pretty good down Grandview....) snow, sleet....
Better off driving.... :)

Bandit said:
Hi everyone, I have posted this before

I am living the Buffalo. I will be attending Erie this fall in the ISP program and looking for a place/room to rent for the initial 12 weeks I will be there---and only during the week at that. Any one with ideas or suggestions I would appreciate it

i'm in ISP currently, and i originally thought that i would only be in and around erie minimally after anatomy was over. buffalo is 'reasonably' close of course, but trust me, you'll wind up being there more than you think. for instance, i was in erie for the past 5 weeks because of OMM class, mandatory ISP meetings, exams, H&P/OPEP obligations, etc. isp is great though in that it affords you the opportunities to get out of town for a long 'working' weekend a lot more often than those in ldp. i love it.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding housing waitlists and other apartment complexes... I'm gettin right on it.

I'd love to meet up with people before classes start--I'll know a lot more about when I'm actually moving up to Erie in a couple of weeks...

And, interesting info about the ISP schedule...

I'm looking for some similar inside info on the PBL track.. To all my PBL people, what's your typical weekly schedule like? I know we're going to take anatomy, histo, OMM, and a few other classes along with the LDP people... but aside from that, are there particular/assigned days of the week that you come into school to meet with your group and work on cases, or is it more flexible (dependent on the group's preferences)?

any of you incoming LECOMer Erie students looking for a washer/dryer I have a pair that went for $750+ new I want to get rid of for $400 OBO. PM me for details if interested...

(I hope this isn't against forum rules)

I am going to be in the ISP pathway for the upcoming year.
I lived in Lakeview last year. nice.

you send that much time there huh? I was under the impression that it was once or twice per week. Actually I live south of Buffalo so I can be on campus in about an hour and fifteen minutes. I am still hoping that getting a place for only 12 weeks will be the way to go.

any more advice would be appreciated.

Bandit said:
you send that much time there huh? I was under the impression that it was once or twice per week. Actually I live south of Buffalo so I can be on campus in about an hour and fifteen minutes. I am still hoping that getting a place for only 12 weeks will be the way to go.

any more advice would be appreciated.

it is usually only once or twice a week... typically wednesdays same as OMM. however this is an example of a weekly cycle i fell into last month... Test on monday.... OMM/ISP meeting Wednesday.... OPEP preceptor meeting thursday.... Monday Neuro lab.

see my point, it was just a hassle to drive home and come back a day later. its not like that all the time, but occasionally you'll have a string of days where you have to be there.

by the way, ISP Rulz!

Willow Wood Village on West 38th Street (owned by Pastore Realty) has nice 2 bedroom/1.5 bath townhouses. Also it has a pool/basketball courts/is family oriented/ affordable....although a bit older than Lakeview Apts., these in my opinion are better simply b/c the complex is not filled with Lecomers. I'm telling you, after 3months with all of the same people, you will welcome the privacy. Most apts have decks/patios. I lived there for about 3 years and loved it. Good luck!!!

jerseygirl said:
Hi everyone -

I'll be joining the PBL Pathway - I'm so psyched, and I can't wait to meet everyone at orientation in late July.

Any advice on housing? I'm looking to find a nice condo/apt nearby with one or two bedrooms and preferably garage access...

Hey everyone- just wanted to say hi.....I'll be heading up in late July myself from CT. I wish I could head out earlier to meet people etc. but I need to work as long as I can! Jersey I am the same as you all I saw was the airport, the school and the hotel. I have seen nothing of Erie.....Does anyone know if the waitlist for PBL is now closed? I was on it but haven't heard a thing so I am assuming I am now LDP? To those students currently at the school what do you think about the difference between PBL and LDP? Just curious.....
Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Amanda ;)

Hey... I interviewed on April 18th. Just heard today I'm on a waiting list. When did you interview? Do you know anything about the process?

spyyder said:
damn I wish I could be officially part of this thread. Holla out to the Jersey peeps! :)

Hey Spyyder,
I just found out I am on a waiting list. I interviewed on April 18th. When did you interview? Do you know anything about the process?

quick question for current lecomers.... what bank would you guys recommend? i saw a lot of citizens banks around the town when i was there but i dont have any local to me. i think someone recommended PNC Bank once but i didn't see any but i did see a few PNC ATMs at those red gas stations (i forgot the name...lol).

mrm1682 said:
quick question for current lecomers.... what bank would you guys recommend? i saw a lot of citizens banks around the town when i was there but i dont have any local to me. i think someone recommended PNC Bank once but i didn't see any but i did see a few PNC ATMs at those red gas stations (i forgot the name...lol).
PNC Bank is a popular one. In fact, there is a PNC ATM in the cafe at the school. I'm pretty sure they offer free student checking as well. :thumbup:

mrm1682 said:

sorry donno

Last edited:
:) Now that I have your attention. I will be starting this fall at the erie campus. I have bought a house near the school but have ran into a problem. It appears my wife might, MIGHT be called to duty before we get moved into the house. IF that is the case I might need some help from a few class mates If possible to help move my three children and myself into our new house. Only really need help with the heavy lifting, I can handle all the boxes and such. We will be moving up there Saturday May 28th if any one can possiblly help. Email me if you might be free that weekend, I will provide a pizza lunch and all the drinks you need.

gwynnetn said:
:) Now that I have your attention. I will be starting this fall at the erie campus. I have bought a house near the school but have ran into a problem. It appears my wife might, MIGHT be called to duty before we get moved into the house. IF that is the case I might need some help from a few class mates If possible to help move my three children and myself into our new house. Only really need help with the heavy lifting, I can handle all the boxes and such. We will be moving up there Saturday May 28th if any one can possiblly help. Email me if you might be free that weekend, I will provide a pizza lunch and all the drinks you need.

Sorry bout that, but I won't be leaving here til mid July :(

gwynnetn said:

I would help you, but I too will not be there until mid-July. :(

Sorry!

prankster said:

My wife and I just got a townhouse with Joe Palermo Rentals at (814) 833 9565. They were awesome with helping us get a great townhouse that we will be moving into on May 28th. The owner met with us personally with only about 2 hours notice and had us all signed up with a deposit within an hour. The complex is called Brookwood Village on Bear Creek Road. I timed my commute at about 15 minutes to the school, but then again most everything there is just about the same. They have a website at www.joepalermo.com, and have all kinds of different options for students no matter what the price range. The good news is that these guys know, and favor LECOM students.