Lecom Erie PBL vs DSP (Current/former students pls answr)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hckyplyr

My fighting days are over
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched extensively on this forum, and haven't found all of the answers to my questions, plus many answers were 5+ yrs old. Long story short, I'm starting at Lecom Erie next fall in the DSP program. I selected that pathway because I cannot learn in lecture, I have to teach myself everything. However, I tried talking with students in either PBL/DSP pathways, but they are all in residency or busy, and I haven't heard back. I'm considering switching to PBL within the next few days, if that's even still possible.

Will current/former students from Lecom Erie please help me? After going through the above pathways, and by speaking with classmates, did you find one pathway (PBL or DSP) to be better than the other? Seemingly, PBL students are less "stressed" about 85% of the time, until a week or so prior to exams, whereas DSP students are taking many more tests/quizzes and are expected to be on campus more frequently. Also, DSP seemingly mirrors LDP pathway with lectures and tests, but they do not have the luxury of having pre-made powerpoints, or "hints" about what will be tested on. Please help, because I was considering switching to PBL, I would be willing to talk to anyone on the phone too. Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

You are already over-stressing about something almost a full year before you start school.

Call student affairs tomorrow and ask them. This is what they do for a living.

You are already over-stressing about something almost a full year before you start school.

Call student affairs tomorrow and ask them. This is what they do for a living.

Stressing? I want to pick the right pathway now, because it is extremely difficult to switch when school starts. Why do I want to talk with student affairs? I much rather talk to current/former students who have first hand experience, not some person who works for the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stressing? I want to pick the right pathway now, because it is extremely difficult to switch when school starts. Why do I want to talk with student affairs? I much rather talk to current/former students who have first hand experience, not some person who works for the school.

.....................because student affairs will be able to refer you to current/former students who have first hand experience.

edit: most (smart) people on here will not post/admit anything identifying, especially the school they attend. Please see the "pros and cons of your DO school" thread for further proof. You will get much better answers by calling the school and getting an email address of two from student affairs.

Last edited:
I am currently a LECOM PBL student and I love it. I am not at Erie so I don't know very much about the DSP program, but you can message me with specific questions if you want.

PBL means you are putting all your eggs in one basket. If you end up with a C based on three exams you take, that really brings your gpa down. Alternatively, if you end up with an A, your gpa goes up very fast. On the other hand, DSP even if you get a C in one course, you can make it up in another course. If you like studying through patient cases and are organized, do PBL. Otherwise, DSP would be a better option. Let me know if you want to know anything in particular. I am happy to help you out.

If you are self-motivated (as in you can make yourself commit to 4-6 hrs of reading daily) and like reading on your own, PBL is the way to go. If you need more "structure" but are also self-motivated, then DSP might be a better option. What Sitar said is very accurate. One bad exam can kill your grades, whereas 1-2 good ones can make your grades.

I'm currently a first year DSP student in Erie and I have to say, things have been great so far. There are mandatory classes you need to attend for the first 2.5 months or so, and then afterwards the DSP curriculum begins.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
One bad exam can kill your grades, whereas 1-2 good ones can make your grades.
ALQOgA

I was under the impression that DSP is more 'independent' than PBL but I guess I was wrong, What are those modules? How many times do you have to be on campus during the week? Are e-texbooks provided like in the PBL pathway (including in the tuition)? How many exams per sesmester? How frequent are exams?

I'm Erie-PBL..I enjoyed the PBL cases, you do need to buy our own textbooks but you could probably find ebooks if you wanted. During anatomy, you have a lighter version of PBL to get you accustomed (I think it was 4 cases then 1 exam) Once anatomy is over, you go right into PBL cases. Every 6-8 cases or so you have an exam. You will choose ~100pages per case. By the end of 2nd year, you would've covered the majority of the books, some stuff more than once.

It really depends on your personality. If you are self-motivated and can read on your PBL is for you.

I did pbl many years ago...it was fantastic. Can't say enough great things. I think it boils down to your specific learning style. You meet about 3 times a week to work on your case with your group and the rest is basically independent study. I felt our exams were very fair given the amount of material we had to know. Med school is hard no matter your curriculum...but i did not want to be in lecture all day. I thought pbl was a good mix for me as far as some directed study and part independent. I am not familiar with dsp so i can't comment on it. Good luck and try not to stress too much before you start. It all falls into place.