LECOM Erie Vs NSU KPCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tangoman123

Reaction score
Need help deciding between LECOM vs NSU-KPCOM. What is important to me is a place where I will be happy and a place I can succeed. I am not picky to a certain speciality but would like the option of having competitive ones. Please help.

LECOM Pros:
-cheap tution
-closer to home but still far (from New york and would be around 10 hours away but somewhat close to some family and friends)
-Great board scores
-good residency match rates

LECOM cons:
-mandatory lecture I think
-Very STRICT according to people online
-Worse location in terms of weather and being nice to florida

NSU pros:
-Good competitive match rates
-Very nice campus
-Very nice location
-well established school
-non mandatory classes

NSU CONS:
-Expensive (almost double the price of LECOM)
-Board score pass rates around 86% but apparently going up
-People say administration problems
-Adding MD school which could increase competition or focus towards that

Members don't see this ad.

LECOM for that nice cheap tuition
I am trying to justify if all the strictness is worth the cheaper tuition. I think LECOM will provide me with the better education but not sure if I will be happy. I have heard NSU also has many problems but I am not sure if those have gotten better over the years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to justify if all the strictness is worth the cheaper tuition. I think LECOM will provide me with the better education but not sure if I will be happy. I have heard NSU also has many problems but I am not sure if those have gotten better over the years.
NSU's COMLEX pass rates have finally gone up, and they"'re not on my Bad Boy lisylt anymore, but they still seem to have an anti-student mindset
Proceed with caution.

Yes, LECOM still still treats adult learners like it's the 19th Century, but it's only for two years. That will go faster than you think.

Reactions: 1 users
Thread was moved to the correct forum.

Also, I’d say LECOM in this case especially for the options of rotations with areas you’re familiar with I would imagine as well. You being somewhat closer to home is better than nothing. A 10 hour drive or short flight is not bad!

What school gets you where you want to go? The school is merely a means to an end. Pre clinical is less than 2 yrs as an Oms1, so it's not the end of the world. You becoming the physician you want to be is the goal
I am a ROI guy and want to spend the least amount to get there. You want to drive 200mph? You can buy a corvette or a Ferrari for 3 times the price. You still got to 200mph. So an established school with the lowest tuition wins for me every time. Good luck and best wishes

I appreciate all the responses here. I think I lean towards lecom as of now. The cheaper tuition being the biggest factor. NOVA's COA is almost 140k a year which is crazy!! LECOM is more around 70k which is a huge difference over four years. I hear admin problems on both sides. Better pass rates for LECOM and pretty similar match rates and placements. I think in terms of education and cost LECOM is a no brainer. Might have to just suck it up for 2 years which is not bad at all.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate all the responses here. I think I lean towards lecom as of now. The cheaper tuition being the biggest factor. NOVA's COA is almost 140k a year which is crazy!! LECOM is more around 70k which is a huge difference over four years. I hear admin problems on both sides. Better pass rates for LECOM and pretty similar match rates and placements. I think in terms of education and cost LECOM is a no brainer. Might have to just suck it up for 2 years which is not bad at all.
As someone attending a school with mandatory attendance, just invest in a good pair of headphones and study what you want in class. Honestly not a huge deal.