lecom police force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
saw this news reascently. http://www.yourerie.com/news/news-a...res-new-officers/28210/mgln3UIazkyA42-fXetCRw

This is for Erie. 33 officers for the campus. 3rd largest police force in the area.
Why does the school with a single building and a large parking lot need such a police force? Millcreek township where school is located has barely any crime, its a quiet suburb. Any issues could be handled probably by Millcreek police. The only threats we used to get were e-mails with pictures of employees that were let go and can no longer enter the building, and so that we would watch for them in case they tried to go back into the building.

It used to be security at front door checking for IDs, and turning people back on days of their exam. Their title is unique also, "LECOM special police officers".

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"Bad boys, bad boys what you gonna do? What you gonna do when they come for you?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ever been to Yale's campus? It's an armed camp!

saw this news reascently. http://www.yourerie.com/news/news-a...res-new-officers/28210/mgln3UIazkyA42-fXetCRw

This is for Erie. 33 officers for the campus. 3rd largest police force in the area.
Why does the school with a single building and a large parking lot need such a police force? Millcreek township where school is located has barely any crime, its a quiet suburb. Any issues could be handled probably by Millcreek police. The only threats we used to get were e-mails with pictures of employees that were let go and can no longer enter the building, and so that we would watch for them in case they tried to go back into the building.

It used to be security at front door checking for IDs, and turning people back on days of their exam. Their title is unique also, "LECOM special police officers".

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, somebody has to make sure that there are no truants walking around with contraband water bottles or with their shirts untucked.

Reactions: 17 users
Ever been to Yale's campus? It's an armed camp!
Yale is in New Haven, and having been around there for college, I can assure you that it is NOT a neighborhood filled with ivory towers and rainbows.

Well, somebody has to make sure that there are no truants walking around with contraband water bottles or with their shirts untucked.

Do they really do that? I heard the LECOM renta-cops made a student poor out his water. I'd like to hear some stories if anyone has any first hand experience.

Do they really do that? I heard the LECOM renta-cops made a student poor out his water. I'd like to hear some stories if anyone has any first hand experience.

I really don't understand why people are so appalled when clearly advertised rules are enforced. On interview day, they make it really clear that the reason the campus is so nice and clean is that they don't allow eating and drinking outside the cafeteria. That you are expected to dress like a professional adult from 8am-5:30pm on campus. That you are expected to attend lectures if you chose the lecture-based learning pathway.

It isn't as if they hide any of this. Why is it so hard for people to hold up their end of the bargains that they make?

Reactions: 4 users
I really don't understand why people are so appalled when clearly advertised rules are enforced. On interview day, they make it really clear that the reason the campus is so nice and clean is that they don't allow eating and drinking outside the cafeteria. That you are expected to dress like a professional adult from 8am-5:30pm on campus. That you are expected to attend lectures if you chose the lecture-based learning pathway.

It isn't as if they hide any of this. Why is it so hard for people to hold up their end of the bargains that they make?
because being an adult isn't a requirement to graduate college, there is a thread in PT where a student is mad that some lectures had more question on the exam than others

people are babies

Reactions: 5 users

What about actually treating people like adults? Why not punish someone for littering rather than prohibiting them from taking a sip of water from their thermos? Can you not chew gum either, or talk in the hallways? Do you need a hall pass to use the restroom?

Reactions: 2 users
What about actually treating people like adults? Why not punish someone for littering rather than prohibiting them from taking a sip of water from their thermos? Can you not chew gum either, or talk in the hallways? Do you need a hall pass to use the restroom?

you mean like an adult who is offered an admission with a very specific and advertised set of obligations and rules?

Reactions: 4 users

Being treated like an adult is not the same thing as getting your way in every situation.

Rules happen in real life. Some of them are arbitrary, but still have to be followed. Some people don't think that rules that they don't like or understand should apply to them. I am really glad to be going to a school where that attitude is not tolerated. I think it will make a better learning environment for those of us who have had some experience in the real world.

Don't like it, don't go there. Please.

Reactions: 1 users
you mean like an adult who is offered an admission with a very specific and advertised set of obligations and rules?

Yeah. its a dumb rule. and its insulting to the people that have to follow it, regardless of whether they agreed or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being treated like an adult is not the same thing as getting your way in every situation.

Rules happen in real life. Some of them are arbitrary, but still have to be followed. Some people don't think that rules that they don't like or understand should apply to them. I am really glad to be going to a school where that attitude is not tolerated. I think it will make a better learning environment for those of us who have had some experience in the real world.

Don't like it, don't go there. Please.

Apparently you haven't gone there either (yet). How does attire say anything about attitude? A person can be a total DB in a tank top, putting on a sweater doesn't make him any less of a DB - you should know that from your "real world experience." Most people, especially people who are smart enough and hardworking enough to get into med school, know when professional attire is appropriate. They don't need to be told like they barely have a high school diploma, especially by people who barely have a high school diploma.

And I didn't go there, you're welcome.

Yeah. its a dumb rule. and its insulting to the people that have to follow it, regardless of whether they agreed or not.

Yeah. It shouldn't matter if you are being disrespectful to other people who may have chosen the school because they appreciate the clean and orderly setting... so long as you get to have your way. It is insulting to ask a person to live up to their agreements. After all, only what makes sense to you is important.

It isn't that I don't think that I cannot be trusted to dispose of a water bottle properly... it is that I believe that people who think like you cannot. Special little millienial snowflakes like you are the reason these rules need to exist.

Apparently you haven't gone there either (yet). How does attire say anything about attitude? A person can be a total DB in a tank top, putting on a sweater doesn't make him any less of a DB - you should know that from your "real world experience." Most people, especially people who are smart enough and hardworking enough to get into med school, know when professional attire is appropriate. They don't need to be told like they barely have a high school diploma, especially by people who barely have a high school diploma.

And I didn't go there, you're welcome.
It's not cops with a diploma telling you how dress, it's the dean with a DO behind their name

Yeah. It shouldn't matter if you are being disrespectful to other people who may have chosen the school because they appreciate the clean and orderly setting... so long as you get to have your way. It is insulting to ask a person to live up to their agreements. After all, only what makes sense to you is important.

It isn't that I don't think that I cannot be trusted to dispose of a water bottle properly... it is that I believe that people who think like you cannot. Special little millienial snowflakes like you are the reason these rules need to exist.

How do you know you're older and more professional than I am? Do we know each other?

You may have misinterpreted my earlier remarks. I don't mean to disrespect the people who go to that school. I just don't agree with the rules they have to follow. 99% of your class knows to place garbage in the trash can and come to school dressed like a sophisticated human being. The 1 guy who leaves trash laying around and walks into lecture with his pants sagging should be the one reprimanded, not the vast majority who behave and hold themselves highly.

The role of attire on attitude and behavior is an area which has been pretty well explored in scientific literature. Clothing is communication. Social rituals are meaningful, both to an individual's psyche and perception of his or her role in a group, as well as to interactions within the group. This school has a philosophy regarding the utility of professional dress in accomplishing their educational mission. This is not a secret. One d-bag turning up in tank tops because they feel the rule is stupid is behaving anti-socially in a way that absolutely impacts others.

And, since you and others who can't cope with fairly simple rules self-select to go elsewhere, I'd say that the policy is very effective indeed.

There are times to be nonconformist. Like, if there were some actual injustice being done. Rebelling just because you feel like it? Did you really not get enough of that in undergrad? When will it be ever be enough? Will you ever be able to restrain your whims?

Reactions: 2 users
The role of attire on attitude and behavior is an area which has been pretty well explored in scientific literature. Clothing is communication. Social rituals are meaningful, both to an individual's psyche and perception of his or her role in a group, as well as to interactions within the group. This school has a philosophy regarding the utility of professional dress in accomplishing their educational mission. This is not a secret. One d-bag turning up in tank tops because they feel the rule is stupid is behaving anti-socially in a way that absolutely impacts others.

And, since you and others who can't cope with fairly simple rules self-select to go elsewhere, I'd say that the policy is very effective indeed.

There are times to be nonconformist. Like, if there were some actual injustice being done. Rebelling just because you feel like it? Did you really not get enough of that in undergrad? When will it be ever be enough? Will you ever be able to restrain your whims?

Lol. you're in for a reality (and an attitude) check. Congratulations on your acceptance.

How do you know you're older and more professional than I am? Do we know each other?

I don't know you. I'm guessing your age to be between 24-26, based purely upon profiling your remarks. If I am wrong about that, then you aren't merely immature, but pathologically antisocial. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, by assuming that you are simply inexperienced.

Would LECOM be put on lock down if someone was spotted on campus with a Super Soaker?

Reactions: 5 users

Eh, I turned down my LECOM admission largely because I'm old enough to know when what kind of clothing is appropriate, and because ironing clothes and having nice business casual clothing with a tie ready every day for what quite frankly amounts to no reason is a fairly large time sink. My current school requires me to dress up once a week for our guest speakers, which is fine and a totally appropriate requirement, but for day to day lectures and the like it is just too far. I don't hate LECOM, but I sure as hell could never force myself to go to school there. It's kind of like the military, it just isn't the right place for a lot of people. To imply that the students who self-select for other schools due to personal incompatibilities with LECOM's philosophy and rules are somehow inferior as professionals is both insulting and hypocritically unprofessional.

I actually kind of loathe dressing up with a passion- going into a profession where I could wear scrubs to work every day was no accident. I want function, not form.

Reactions: 6 users

You don't go to lecom yet. Quit lecturing people about benefits of the policies you have zero experience with. Age means very little, you had better quickly become accustomed to that, you will have many attendings and residents quite a bit younger then you who won't put up with that BS. Life experience is great but it won't put points on your exams and certainly not your board scores. I would try over the next few months to humble myself if I were you, quite possibly may need the help of some of these "millenials" with no life experience to make it through the gauntlet of year one and two.

It's kind of like the military, it just isn't the right place for a lot of people. To imply that the students who self-select for other schools due to personal incompatibilities with LECOM's philosophy and rules are somehow inferior as professionals is both insulting and hypocritically unprofessional.

Fair enough. My brush was overbroad.

It isn't that I think that everyone who chooses to go elsewhere because they don't like the policies are inferior. I actually greatly prefer those folks to the few who go to LECOM anyhow and then whine about things they knew coming into it.

I don't think LECOM is better than everywhere else because students are expected to dress up. But it is the best place for me because I do want the formality of dressing up for class. I do see value in it, and I find the people who decide to break rules they don't like just because they don't like them to be contemptible and disrespectful little twits, whatever their calendar age.

Fair enough. My brush was overbroad.

It isn't that I think that everyone who chooses to go elsewhere because they don't like the policies are inferior. I actually greatly prefer those folks to the few who go to LECOM anyhow and then whine about things they knew coming into it.

I don't think LECOM is better than everywhere else because students are expected to dress up. But it is the best place for me because I do want the formality of dressing up for class. I do see value in it, and I find the people who decide to break rules they don't like just because they don't like them to be contemptible and disrespectful little twits, whatever their calendar age.
Fair enough. I feel the same way about them as I do about basically every other school- if you don't like the rules or the environment, don't attend. Anyone who does so despite knowing they will be unhappy is an idiot, and being childish if they insist on breaking rules that they knew they were agreeing to by matriculating.

Every school has its pitfalls, including mine. At my school we're sometimes told how/what to study by people who don't even have a Phd/DO/MD degree. So thankful to actually be in medical school I'd where a hello kitty speedo if that was a requirement.

Jeeze, it got worse than when I interviewed there!

It's also in the middle of the second most dangerous small city in America. People have been shot dead within a block of Yale in virtually all directions, so having an armed police force kind of make sense.

You got my interest on this one shibby. Can you elaborate?

Every school has its pitfalls, including mine. At my school we're sometimes told how/what to study by people who don't even have a Phd/DO/MD degree. So thankful to actually be in medical school I'd where a hello kitty speedo if that was a requirement.

Maybe because it's simple to hire a cleaning crew like every other med school does? I don't go to the school, but their rules seem unnecessarily cumbersome for the purpose of churning out physicians while making hand over fist...

Maybe because it's simple to hire a cleaning crew like every other med school does? I don't go to the school, but their rules seem unnecessarily cumbersome for the purpose of churning out physicians while making hand over fist...

Simple, sure. But I'm very happy about the tuition bill that is 25% cheaper than my next closest alternative. I'm okay with cost saving measures, given that kind of discount. And the facilities aren't just kind of clean... they look spotless, and very well-maintained.

One of the many reasons I turned down my acceptance to LECOM. It wasn't so much the 'no water bottle' issue but rather I thought it it was telling to how they handled students/business.

In contrast, the med school I graduated from gave me an actual key to the front door for 24-7 hrs access while I was a student there and I think I ate a pizza more than once in my study cubicle. They actually treated you like an adult and had reasonable expectations.

... I'm old enough to know when what kind of clothing is appropriate, and because ironing clothes and having nice business casual clothing with a tie ready every day for what quite frankly amounts to no reason is a fairly large time sink.

I actually kind of loathe dressing up with a passion- going into a profession where I could wear scrubs to work every day was no accident. I want function, not form.

Ditto.

Simple, sure. But I'm very happy about the tuition bill that is 25% cheaper than my next closest alternative. I'm okay with cost saving measures, given that kind of discount. And the facilities aren't just kind of clean... they look spotless, and very well-maintained.

Highly doubtful that your tuition bill being 25% cheaper has anything to do with LECOM saving money on a janitorial staff. I mean let's be honest LECOM has people clean the school, custodians to mop floors, clean bathrooms etc. It's not like an empty water bottle on the ground is going to increase the cost of their services.

It's amazing to me that LECOM believes it's students are responsible enough to be in charge and make life and death decisions for patients yet their not responsible enough to throw a water bottle in the trash.

It's amazing to me that LECOM believes it's students are responsible enough to be in charge and make life and death decisions for patients yet their not responsible enough to throw a water bottle in the trash.

Are you serious? Have you ever had to clean up a conference room after a group of doctors have used it for a meeting?

I ran an OR every weekend for a few years. We had several surgeons who had difficulty understanding that the rules regarding bringing food and drink into the operating room applied to them. The chief of one of our surgical departments was particularly well known for bringing open cups of coffee into the OR (removing his mask to drink) while looking over the shoulders of his residents while they worked in wide open incisions. Once, when I insisted that he take the coffee out of the OR, he walked it into a substerile room and dumped it all over a bin of recyclables, making an enormous mess, so that everything in the bin had to be discarded.

Malignant personalities do get admitted to medical schools. Some of those make it through, and I've worked alongside several people who have difficulty understanding that being a doctor doesn't mean being above the rules, as if those were intended for the common people, not the doctors. And I have seen hospital administration reinforce that attitude by holding everyone else to account but allowing physicians to engage in outrageous behaviors and tantrums that would have gotten anyone else fired in a heartbeat.

LECOM does treat its students as responsible adults. It lays out the ground rules as early as the interview, and it expects the people who accept them to keep to them. Again, being treated as an adult does not mean being allowed to do whatever you want, whenever you want, where ever you want. That is a child's perception of what adulthood means, and that is a reason that I assume that most of the people who have issues with LECOM's rules are young and inexperienced.

I don't genuinely believe that LECOM's policy is about keeping costs down, but rather with establishing a milieu of mutual courtesy. Why do some nicer restaurants not admit people who show up in t-shirts and shorts? It isn't just about their comfort, but about the experience of everyone present. Dressing up communicates to everyone who participates that this is a special event, that it deserves to be approached with an attitude of reverence, even. Of course, it isn't absolutely necessary to put on formal dress in order to eat a meal, and there are many other alternatives for those who are so opposed to putting on a tie. But for those of us who want the more traditional, ritualized experience, why is it such an insult to the rest of you to let us have it? Why must all schools adopt the same standards?

Again, don't like it? Don't go. Why be upset that a school you aren't going to does things in a way that you wouldn't like?

Reactions: 3 users

This is why I don't have a problem with strict rules here or at Loma, but I do at LUCOM. You knew what you were getting into when you signed up. Do I think some of the rules are a bit silly? Yes. Would I want to go to LECOM? No. But that doesn't mean crying how unfair they are is justified, if you felt like you would not be able to follow the rules, then you should not have matriculated there.

It's almost like asking medical students to act like adults is some unreasonable task!

Are you serious? Have you ever had to clean up a conference room after a group of doctors have used it for a meeting?

I ran an OR every weekend for a few years. We had several surgeons who had difficulty understanding that the rules regarding bringing food and drink into the operating room applied to them. The chief of one of our surgical departments was particularly well known for bringing open cups of coffee into the OR (removing his mask to drink) while looking over the shoulders of his residents while they worked in wide open incisions. Once, when I insisted that he take the coffee out of the OR, he walked it into a substerile room and dumped it all over a bin of recyclables, making an enormous mess, so that everything in the bin had to be discarded.

Malignant personalities do get admitted to medical schools. Some of those make it through, and I've worked alongside several people who have difficulty understanding that being a doctor doesn't mean being above the rules, as if those were intended for the common people, not the doctors. And I have seen hospital administration reinforce that attitude by holding everyone else to account but allowing physicians to engage in outrageous behaviors and tantrums that would have gotten anyone else fired in a heartbeat.

LECOM does treat its students as responsible adults. It lays out the ground rules as early as the interview, and it expects the people who accept them to keep to them. Again, being treated as an adult does not mean being allowed to do whatever you want, whenever you want, where ever you want. That is a child's perception of what adulthood means, and that is a reason that I assume that most of the people who have issues with LECOM's rules are young and inexperienced.

I don't genuinely believe that LECOM's policy is about keeping costs down, but rather with establishing a milieu of mutual courtesy. Why do some nicer restaurants not admit people who show up in t-shirts and shorts? It isn't just about their comfort, but about the experience of everyone present. Dressing up communicates to everyone who participates that this is a special event, that it deserves to be approached with an attitude of reverence, even. Of course, it isn't absolutely necessary to put on formal dress in order to eat a meal, and there are many other alternatives for those who are so opposed to putting on a tie. But for those of us who want the more traditional, ritualized experience, why is it such an insult to the rest of you to let us have it? Why must all schools adopt the same standards?

Again, don't like it? Don't go. Why be upset that a school you aren't going to does things in a way that you wouldn't like?

I'm not upset at LECOM, i'm sure as hell happy I don't go there though. But in reality, giving a person freedom is giving them responsibility and is part of adulthood. I'm pretty sure when you were growing up your parents gave you more and more freedoms as you aged.

Also i'd tone down the rhetoric about us "millenials" who are so young and inexperienced. Some of us fought in wars your generation started. Get off your high horse with all you superior "life experiences"

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not upset at LECOM, i'm sure as hell happy I don't go there though. But in reality, giving a person freedom is giving them responsibility and is part of adulthood. I'm pretty sure when you were growing up your parents gave you more and more freedoms as you aged.

Also i'd tone down the rhetoric about us "millenials" who are so young and inexperienced. Some of us fought in wars your generation started. Get off your high horse with all you superior "life experiences"

Talk about needing to tone down rhetoric and getting off high horses!

If you are a veteran, God bless you, but your assumptions about my upbringing and my (undisclosed) generation's role in sending you to war are completely offbase.

If you are a veteran, God bless you, but your assumptions about my upbringing and my (undisclosed) generation's role in sending you to war are completely offbase.

Just because you're old doesn't give you more experience, wisdom, or professionalism. There are 20 year olds who are more honorable and have accomplished more in their first 20 years than you and I will accomplish in our entire lives. Stop calling people twits and millenials. that reflects very poorly on who you are as an individual and makes people question your own judgement and capacity to act as a physician. In a couple years you'll be taking orders from your so-called "twits and millenials" so you do need to tone it down a notch. not everyone is a litter bug, irresponsible, slob. i'm beginning to think you are using a defensive strategy where you like these LECOM rules because they protect the class from people like yourself.

Last edited:

I said it before I will say it again..You don't go to Lecom and have no idea what you are talking about. It's pretty laughable to read a premed lecture others on here about a schools policies he hasn't even started at. Your idealized view of the school is going to add up to a lot of disappointment. This continued view of your experiences being above others simply because of age is ridiculous, I know plenty of young physicians and students who absolutely are above and beyond others much older and "experienced". Medicine is a team sport bud, better learn to get over this obvious bias you have or you are gonna have a very difficult time, especially with a year ahead that has a pretty significant attrition rate.

It isn't consistent say that not having already matriculated at LECOM means that I have no right to an opinion regarding its policies and to simultaneously assert that experience is meaningless. The reason experience matters is that it allows for conjecture regarding novel situations based upon similarity to what has previously been encountered.

Besides, a number of the people who have been posting about how much they hate LECOM's policies have no more direct experience with them than I have at this point. The vast majority are also pre-meds or else attend other schools.

It isn't consistent say that not having already matriculated at LECOM means that I have no right to an opinion regarding its policies and to simultaneously assert that experience is meaningless. The reason experience matters is that it allows for conjecture regarding novel situations based upon similarity to what has previously been encountered.

Experience? Like actually being several years into medical school currently? That kind of experience?
Being old doesn't give you experience in everything, nor wisdom, nor any valuable input. You can't claim to have authority in a situation you've never experienced, let alone have no idea what you're talking about.

Besides, a number of the people who have been posting about how much they hate LECOM's policies have no more direct experience with them than I have at this point. The vast majority are also pre-meds or else attend other schools.
I don't remember at any time stating experience was meaningless, holding your own over other people simply due to age doesn't seem to be very mature to me. I can name a lot of Lecom policies that have nothing to do with promoting a professional learning environment or really anything that is for the benefit of students. Yes dress code is something I couldn't have cared less for, but it is also unnecessary if you can't be professional without a shirt and tie you probably should not be in a professional school. Your anecdotes remind me a lot of the scrub techs/cnas/etc who think they know a lot but in actuality just don't know what they don't know. Good luck continuing this attitude into 1st year, you are in for quite the eye opener I can tell you that.

It's also in the middle of the second most dangerous small city in America. People have been shot dead within a block of Yale in virtually all directions, so having an armed police force kind of make sense.

Meh, people act as if people are waiting on the street corner to pick off Yale students like they're clay pigeons when they cites these statistics.

The problem with private police forces is that they're pretty much immune from having to release any data on their activities to the public despite having "jurisdictions" that extend well outside of the campuses they're responsible for.

Meh, people act as if people are waiting on the street corner to pick off Yale students like they're clay pigeons when they cites these statistics.

The problem with private police forces is that they're pretty much immune from having to release any data on their activities to the public despite having "jurisdictions" that extend well outside of the campuses they're responsible for.
If there wasn't a police force there, I guarantee there would be issues. I spent years working in New Haven and the place has gotten dangerous as ****, particularly since they laid off a bunch of the police force. We were having cars stolen left and right from the unguarded lots, people would get mugged if they walked the two or three blocks to their cars at night (one local was even murdered not even 500 feet from where I parked my car), and even in the guarded parking lot people were mugged several times, despite the cameras present and the guards being a short walk away up a flight or two of stairs. I dodged being mugged myself twice, but only because I'm used to places like New Haven and Hartford. To the local gangs, kids like the ones at Yale are like walking vending machines that dispense iPhones, credit cards, and nice shoes.

I generally don't like private police forces on campuses, but that is because most campus police forces are there to keep the peace on those within the institution, which they're fairly bad at (messing up evidence collection and the like), and function as poor deterrents to crime between the already fairly upstanding groups that self-select to attend college. For Yale, I'll make an exception, because they are necessary as a deterrent for those that would cause trouble from outside the institution.