LECOM post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted98530

Members don't see this ad.

I looked on LECOM's website and they don't state a minimum but I'm sure there is one. They said you have to have a minimum of 22 only if you are planning to attend LECOM's osteopathic medical school.

I e-mailed them but it's been like a week and no response so I still don't know for sure.

Thanks for the response though. :)

i called them earlier this week because i haven't seen any updates to the pb program. here's the skinny (take it with a grain of salt, they misinformed me before):

-this year's class was supposed to have 150 students. last minute, "some policies changed" and they ended up accepting only top 50, most either had either a 3.3 or above or a better than average mcat with slightly lower gpa.
-this is the last year the pb program will be a 1 year deal. next year's class will be the first class of their soon to be announced 2-year master's program. when i asked them about opting out after a year to apply to the med school, i was told,"i don't think so."
-if you apply to the pb program now, they will simply return your application.

As a current post-baccer I'll tell you what I know. People have gotten into the program with less than a 21, but they have to take it and get at least a 21 to be considered this year for medical school. Many of us are retaking in January. I believe it will be upped to 22 for next year but I'm not sure because I have also gotten conflicting information from various staff members so I have gotten the 21 confirmed for this year but I'm expecting it to go up (like it went up to 21 this year!).

That being said, talking to a few of the staff/students/professors, having the minimum does NOT make you competitive for their med school. This years class is VERY competitive, this is the first year that no one failed the first exam we had. They took less people due to multiple reasons, but as you can see, they obviously took less people for a reason as NO ONE FAILED the first exam. The professors are VERY happy with that fact. We had the same exact test as last year's students. FYI, The grading scale is anything less than a 70 is failing.

Next year will be 2 year program, it would be nice if they would do what PCOM is doing and allow you to opt out with the certificate after the first year, I don't know how that will be happening though.

As for GPA/stats, remember that numbers aren't everything ... My gpa was NOWHERE NEAR 3.3 and my MCAT was just barely above the minimum to get into the med school and I was accepted to the post-bacc program. I did do well in my informal post-bacc taking the pre-reqs though and I had a STRONG letter of recommendation. I think I'm in the minority as everyone else had probably a 3.2+ and many had 25+ MCATs.

Pretty much, expect things to change though because LECOM is a dynamic environment and they try to make changes for the good of the students. So if things change don't think they are doing it to confuse you, the school is trying to change things. I am HIGHLY pleased with this program so far as the professors really take the time for the students. They want to help you succeed and they want to get to know you. My classmates are all pretty cool and I haven't even gotten to know everyone which I hope to within the next few weeks. There is also a varied background and age group which I like as well. Many students automatically expect to just get into the program and I'm VERY apprehensive of that. In talking with post-baccs from last year and staff members, apparently some students were waitlisted last year because of how competitive LECOM is becoming with their varied pathways. They expect this year to be just as competitive if not even moreso. While being the post-bacc does give you and advantage, you have to know how to play your cards right in order to get in. That's just my opinion though and I don't think anything is guaranteed until I have it in writing so take it with a grain of salt.

If you guys have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them. :)