Lessening costs of OOS interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KitCat

DVM Candidate, Class of 2020
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an interview invite to Midwestern and although I plan on going to it the last interview I went to (last cycle at Western) cost roughly $2,500. Would others mind sharing ways they lessened the costs of their interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Let me first say... $2,500 for an interview trip!? Holy cow!!
Some thoughts for when I flew out for my interview and helping out with interviews this past year...
- Fly into a large airport and rent a car. That will likely be cheaper to drive a few hours if necessary rather than flying into a smaller (more expensive airport).
- See if any current students are willing to put up their home to interviewees. We did last year (only one took us up on the offer) and we had a ton of fun doing it. I'm sure we will likely do it again this year.
That's all I've got right about now- only flew out for one interview (cost me maybe $700ish between flying into the local airport and staying in a hotel plus cab/food). The other one I was able to drive to and stay with a friend.

One interview cost $2500? What did you spend it on? I think my most expensive interview cost about $700 because I chose to fly (1,100 miles) due to my schedule.

For Midwestern, I think you can choose your interview date and elect for one that fits your schedule and is on cheaper days to fly (assuming you are too far to drive.) Take the cheapest flight your schedule allows. Fly coach (obviously). Get a cab/use hotel shuttle services/train if it's cheaper than renting a car; rent a car if its cheaper than using other transport. Shop around for rental cars and hotel. I used priceline "name your own price" and Phoenix is a very cheap hotel/car place if you come off season (October instead of February). You could probably priceline a hotel for $50 and a car for $75 right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always thought there was an age requirement for rental cars. 25 comes to mind for some reason....does it change from state to state?

You can rent cars under 25, but it is apparently a bit more expensive (still might be cheaper than trying to fly in somewhere local though!)

Reactions: 1 user
How did one interview cost $2500?

I mean, most of my international flights came to around $1500 over the last two years and a hotel for a couple nights plus a rental car... shouldn't come to $2500.

How many nights did you stay?

What cost the most money as that might help to figure out how to help you save. I just can't imagine how one interview cost you $2500.

Second the car rental thing! You usually get a little more flexibility when flying into a larger airport too obviously.

I paid an extra $30 a day when under 25, not sure what it is in the U.S. You also need to factor in whether your personal car insurance covers you on rentals or not. Mine doesn't, so I pay extra to have that as well. Not required I don't think, but I'd rather not take the chance without coverage personally.

My state doesn't have an IS school, so I had to fly out for ALL of my interviews. I used Travelocity and never spent more than $350-400 for hotel/rental car/round-trip flight. I also tried to only stay one night at the hotel, if possible.

If the area you're flying into has zipcars, try for one of those! I'm not sure how they compare to rental car price, but there's no hassle if you're under 25. I used them in college until I bought my own car. The biggest hitch is that you have to register for the service ahead of time so you can get the membership car (it will actually unlock your specific rental car).

I flew into Phoenix last year, the week before Thanksgiving, for my interview at Midwestern. It was a quick-in-and-out trip with one-night at a hostel. The hostel was inexpensive and really fun. The one I stayed at is located in this cool part of Phoenix with old buildings and cool coffee shops. I had a great time at the hostel and hung out with the people there. They built a fire outside and someone made brownies, someone brought champagne. Musical instruments appeared and then everyone was having a great time singing and chatting. It was really a nice & unique experience. The people who ran the hostel were a wealth of information and super friendly. I paid a bit more so I could have a private room, but it still was much cheaper than a hotel, and so much more engaging and fun. It cost under $50 for the night. I choose to rent a car because the hostel was close to the airport and Glendale is difficult to get to via public transport from there. I shopped around and got a car for around $30 a day. I was able to pick it up and drop it off at the airport with no problem. The car was little but fine. I flew out on SW and paid $45 each way on some SW special that I got. I think all in all, my trip cost right around $250-$270 with food, hostel, a few nick-nacks I bought and travel included. I had a really positive experience, plus I felt like I got a feel for the area because I stayed at the hostel and was able to walk to a near-by cool, little, funky outdoor restaurant & went to a near-by coffee shop where I interacted with local people who told me all about living in Phonenix. The hostel people told me about where to hike, fun things to do, the good and bad about living in Phoneix, and a bunch of other good things to know when one is thinking of moving to a new city, especially one with such a different climate than I'm use to. I also learned about some of the politics of the area and on-going local issues. It was a positive experience and I had a really nice time, although that wasn't at all my focus for the trip. My only goal for the trip was to have a good interview, so having a fun was an unexpected plus.

Reactions: 1 user
On another thread someone mentioned using air bnb to find a place to stay, specifically for Midwestern too if I remember correctly. The hosts even drove the applicant to their interview so they wouldn't have to worry about being late! It's definitely worth checking into.

One interview cost $2500? What did you spend it on? I think my most expensive interview cost about $700 because I chose to fly (1,100 miles) due to my schedule.

For Midwestern, I think you can choose your interview date and elect for one that fits your schedule and is on cheaper days to fly (assuming you are too far to drive.) Take the cheapest flight your schedule allows. Fly coach (obviously). Get a cab/use hotel shuttle services/train if it's cheaper than renting a car; rent a car if its cheaper than using other transport. Shop around for rental cars and hotel. I used priceline "name your own price" and Phoenix is a very cheap hotel/car place if you come off season (October instead of February). You could probably priceline a hotel for $50 and a car for $75 right now.

How did one interview cost $2500?

I mean, most of my international flights came to around $1500 over the last two years and a hotel for a couple nights plus a rental car... shouldn't come to $2500.

How many nights did you stay?

What cost the most money as that might help to figure out how to help you save. I just can't imagine how one interview cost you $2500.

Airline tickets is what was the real kick in the side: $2,166.20 (2 people, round trip, MI to CA). Car rental was through Hertz and we stayed 3 nights at a Radisson Hotel. I received my interview invite Nov. 1st and interviewed Nov. 9th so having to book the flight so soon probably didn't help matters but I do appreciate everyone's advice :)

I flew into Phoenix last year, the week before Thanksgiving, for my interview at Midwestern. It was a quick-in-and-out trip with one-night at a hostel. The hostel was inexpensive and really fun. The one I stayed at is located in this cool part of Phoenix with old buildings and cool coffee shops. I had a great time at the hostel and hung out with the people there. They built a fire outside and someone made brownies, someone brought champagne. Musical instruments appeared and then everyone was having a great time singing and chatting. It was really a nice & unique experience. The people who ran the hostel were a wealth of information and super friendly. I paid a bit more so I could have a private room, but it still was much cheaper than a hotel, and so much more engaging and fun. It cost under $50 for the night. I choose to rent a car because the hostel was close to the airport and Glendale is difficult to get to via public transport from there. I shopped around and got a car for around $30 a day. I was able to pick it up and drop it off at the airport with no problem. The car was little but fine. I flew out on SW and paid $45 each way on some SW special that I got. I think all in all, my trip cost right around $250-$270 with food, hostel, a few nick-nacks I bought and travel included. I had a really positive experience, plus I felt like I got a feel for the area because I stayed at the hostel and was able to walk to a near-by cool, little, funky outdoor restaurant & went to a near-by coffee shop where I interacted with local people who told me all about living in Phonenix. The hostel people told me about where to hike, fun things to do, the good and bad about living in Phoneix, and a bunch of other good things to know when one is thinking of moving to a new city, especially one with such a different climate than I'm use to. I also learned about some of the politics of the area and on-going local issues. It was a positive experience and I had a really nice time, although that wasn't at all my focus for the trip. My only goal for the trip was to have a good interview, so having a fun was an unexpected plus.

Do you mind telling me what company you found the hostel and car rental through and what state you flew into Phoenix from?

I flew in from Colorado to Phoenix with a "wanna-get-away" promotion. I just checked, looks like the fares are more this year, at least from Colorado. I got a rental car w/Fox rental car. They have terrible reviews, so I was really careful to check the car for any scratches ect before and after turning it in. I found a link for a really low daily rate and clicked on it and it took me to the Fox website. I took the coupon with me to make sure there were no issues with the rate that I'd agreed to pay. The car was clean and the service was fast. I think they did get more out of me than I was quoted, some airport fee or something, but still was pretty cheap. Didn't have any other issues with them.
I stayed at a Hostelling International hostel, here is the website: http://www.hiusa.org/arizona/phoenix/the-metcalf-house
Looks like the private rooms are around $35.
I really liked the hostel and the people who ran it. I'd definitely stay there again. They have a calendar of nearby events, which look fun. I called the hostel prior to reserving the car to see if there might be an option for public transport to the Glendale campus, but there wasn't anything. The hostel was close to the interstate that goes north to Glendale & it was easy to navigate to the Glendale campus from there. It is also right by the airport via the same interstate. Hope that helps :).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks a ton Fish pixie!

I will also be interviewing at Midwestern and got incredibly nervous over cost. I found a round trip flight JFK->PHX for $306 through Expedia, used the Midwestern code to get a discounted rate at the Drury Inn (they also offer a shuttle to and from the hotel, cutting cost for transport) and paying $180 for two nights. Finally, my transportation from/to the airport was $48 with the SuperShuttle thingy. I don't travel much so I wanted the less hassle and to me spending basically $536 for travel and lodging was fine by me. Also, the hotel offers breakfast and a free dinner type thing, so I'm planning on saving a lot on food expenses there as well.