Let patients and/or their relatives babysit your kids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you let patient's relative babysit your kid?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Long and short: Usual babysitter out of town. Got a recommendation for a new one. Turns out to be a daughter of a patient. I say "fine," Wife ambivalent.

What's your next move?

Members don't see this ad.

Long and short: Usual babysitter out of town. Got a recommendation for a new one. Turns out to be a daughter of a patient. I say "fine," Wife ambivalent.

What's your next move?
No

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

What's your next move?
It's a little too close for comfort, for me. I'd say no, although I don't know of any specific ethical rule against doing this. I do know it would make it tougher, if I needed to have a tough discussion with the patient, if her daughter was in my house babysitting constantly and we liked the babysitter. In other words, would it make it tougher for you to enact a necessary discontinuation of opiates, if it meant you were going to lose your favorite babysitter in the process?

It's a little too close for comfort, for me. I'd say no, although I don't know of any specific ethical rule against doing this. I do know it would make it tougher, if I needed to have a tough discussion with the patient, if her daughter was in my house babysitting constantly and we liked the babysitter. In other words, would it make it tougher for you to enact a necessary discontinuation of opiates, if it meant you were going to lose your favorite babysitter in the process?

Not on opioids. "Altered comfort crowd" type patient. A couple lumbar RF's and a knee synvisc injection...

Are meds/opioids the differentiating factor?

Not on opioids. "Altered comfort crowd" type patient. A couple lumbar RF's and a knee synvisc injection...

Are meds/opioids the differentiating factor?
Opiates definitely make any situation stickier.

But I don't know. It could be your star patient and the nicest little old lady in the world and maybe fine. But I feel weird just seeing my patient's in Walmart let alone having their kid in my house, watching my kid, while I'm not there.

Reactions: 1 users
if you have tickets to U2, id say yes. if its just a dinner out? probably not.

No.

What if patient requests something because she knows your family?

Keep family and business separate.

Surprised this is even a Q. Absolutely not.

How small of a town are we talking about?

In general, my motto is to go with what the SO says, especially if it's about their/our kids.

No way would I allow this, especially since I my kids are only 1. Even if I have a great relationship with the parent and meds weren't an issue, I wouldn't do it because I just don't want patients knowing where I live or what might be in my house. You never know when it could become a problem and it might force you to move if say somehow that patient told another patient where you live that had an issue with you and came with their problem to your doorstep and told other likeminded people where you live as well, it could become a nightmare real quick. While that is probably a far fetched situation, you never know with our population. I think there something on here awhile back about a surgeon in Montana's house getting burned down by patient with a bad outcome, so I would be careful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m surprised this is even a question! I’m still wondering if I should give an early refill of oxy and Xanax because my patient keeps losing his bottles and this is the 9th time this month!

Easy answer

Okay, when I was growing up: My mom's OB/GYN's son lived down the street and we were the same age. His big sister would watch us all the time. Sometimes, my other friend, whose Dad was a pediatrician, would invite us over their house to swim. The pediatrician also coached my soccer team and after games I would hop in his car and go for pizza. My best friend in high school's Dad was our family dentist. I used to watch his little sister sometimes who was friends with my sister. Finally, when I five years old my Dad did stint as a school counselor/psychologist. He used to let one of his students, a developmentally delayed girl babysit me. Once I asked him, "Did you every worry about leaving me in the care of a mentally ******ed a girl?" He said, "No," and that he didn't think she too delayed (she was...she was in high school but couldn't figure out the "Speak and Spell") but only paid her twenty-five cents an hour which was a good deal!

None of these people including my Dad, my mom's OB/GYN, my pediatrician, nor our family Dentist ever cared if their kids hung out with kids of patients/clients/students. People were at people's houses all the time. I think our Kid is going to encounter a lot of people growing up who are "Daddy's patients."

What's changed?

Okay, when I was growing up: My mom's OB/GYN's son lived down the street and we were the same age. His big sister would watch us all the time. Sometimes, my other friend, whose Dad was a pediatrician, would invite us over their house to swim. The pediatrician also coached my soccer team and after games I would hop in his car and go for pizza. My best friend in high school's Dad was our family dentist. I used to watch his little sister sometimes who was friends with my sister. Finally, when I five years old my Dad did stint as a school counselor/psychologist. He used to let one of his students, a developmentally delayed girl babysit me. Once I asked him, "Did you every worry about leaving me in the care of a mentally ******ed a girl?" He said, "No," and that he didn't think she too delayed (she was...she was in high school but couldn't figure out the "Speak and Spell") but only paid her twenty-five cents an hour which was a good deal!

None of these people including my Dad, my mom's OB/GYN, my pediatrician, nor our family Dentist ever cared if their kids hung out with patients/clients/students. People were at people's houses all the time. I think our Kid is going to encounter a lot of people growing up who are "Daddy's patients."

What's changed?

dentists, OBs, and pediatrician work is a lot different than what we do. i think we are projecting our thoughts about our "typical" patients into your situation. i can barely stand it when i run in to one of my patients at the grocery store.

i think there is a potential for a problem, and it would be wiser to avoid, but if you really trust the principles involved, i'd consider it.

dentists, OBs, and pediatrician work is a lot different than what we do. i think we are projecting our thoughts about our "typical" patients into your situation. i can barely stand it when i run in to one of my patients at the grocery store.

i think there is a potential for a problem, and it would be wiser to avoid, but if you really trust the principles involved, i'd consider it.

Okay, let's flip it: You're helping coach your Kid's Lacrosse team. You get the roster and notice that one of the players (a reputably good one) is one of your patient's kids. You have three away games and two overnights scheduled for the season. Do you:

a) Ask to be re-assigned to a different team (though you lose the convenience of traveling with and hanging out your kid)?
b) Ask the community ed office to re-assign the patient's kid to another team (potentially forsaking a good player to another team)?

Okay, let's flip it: You're helping coach your Kid's Lacrosse team. You get the roster and notice that one of the players (a reputably good one) is one of your patient's kids. You have three away games and two overnights scheduled for the season. Do you:

a) Ask to be re-assigned to a different team (though you lose the convenience of traveling with and hanging out your kid)?
b) Ask the community ed office to re-assign the patient's kid to another team (potentially forsaking a good player to another team)?

this is a gray area. if i am treating the parent for a sensitive issue (involving opioids, or if i think they are crazy/psych issues/secondary gain) i probably would recuse myself. if its knee OA or stenosis, probably not

this is a gray area. if i am treating the parent for a sensitive issue (involving opioids, or if i think they are crazy/psych issues/secondary gain) i probably would recuse myself. if its knee OA or stenosis, probably not

So, is it the diagnosis or the treatment that is controlling of the decision?

Awkward situation: I just saw a pt yesterday as a new consult. Her PCP notes indicate that she has had her meds tapered due to + UDS for meth. As usual, I didn't confront her about this situation - that's between her and her doc, and I'm not prescribing. So we talk about the rest of my plan - PT, injections, etc - and at the end she says "are you Mrs. Rosenronsen's husband?" I admit that I am and she tells me she's the mother of a friend of my daughter. My 16 year old daughter sees this friend very rarely - old summer camp friend - but probably every couple of months as they live in our town. This is a small town and I am the only pain doc. I can't recuse myself. What would you do with this sensitive information acquired under the heading of doctor-patient confidentiality?

Last edited:

None of these people including my Dad, my mom's OB/GYN, my pediatrician, nor our family Dentist ever cared if their kids hung out with kids of patients/clients/students. People were at people's houses all the time. I think our Kid is going to encounter a lot of people growing up who are "Daddy's patients."

What's changed?
Medicine is, as you may have mentioned, is a business now, not a calling. When it was a calling, and doctors did treatment not based purely on financial remuneration, the social standing of physicians was beyond reproach. Who in town would you trust more?

That is no longer the case.

In your second case, do nothing. You are not the head coach and have equal “rights” for your kid to play on that team. No interference.

And if you are head coach, you shouldn’t be bored at work as you should be constantly searching more drills and teaching techniques for your players...

Awkward situation: I just saw a pt yesterday as a new consult. Her PCP notes indicate that she has had her meds tapered due to + UDS for meth. As usual, I didn't confront her about this situation - that's between her and her doc, and I'm not prescribing. So we talk about the rest of my plan - PT, injections, etc - and at the end she says "are you Mrs. Rosenronsen's husband?" I admit that I am and she tells me she's the mother of a friend of my daughter. My 16 year old daughter sees this friend very rarely - old summer camp friend - but probably every couple of months as they live in our town. This is a small town and I am the only pain doc. I can't recuse myself. What would you do with this sensitive information acquired under the heading of doctor-patient confidentiality?

Don't let your daughter carpool with them...I'm serious.