Let the fellow take the credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Somedaydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm an intern and have been working on a GI project (yes that project, found someone at my school to help). My PI is new to research and assigned me a fellow to guide me. But the fellow hasn't guided me other than asking me to forward my work. Now the fellow says they will present the info tomorrow to the faculty and is asking me to update them on everything done so far (including work by the med student I recruited). This fellow will be a third year when I apply to my program and probably? will have a say. So I'm not sure whether to just keep them happy or talk to the PI myself without a middleman (I have the PI's cell phone-not that I've used it). But the fellow and faculty talk daily so I don't want to piss anyone off. Ugh these situations. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

-Some attendings prefer to talk to a middle man and dont want to talk with the guy at the bottom of the chain.
-If this is being presented to the faculty for the first time, I think you should give the fellow the benefit of the doubt. Because he is likely to polish it and hit the points that the faculty really want to hear. Spending the most time on the research doesnt necessarily mean that you u will make the most refined of presentations.
-I agree dont burn bridges with the fellow. However going forward you need to sit down periodically with the attending and update him on what you are doing. Meet him every now and then to discuss questions that Fellow might not know answers. Am sure he gave you his phone number for a reason.
-And also a good fellow will give you attending face time and will not try to take credit for everything. Asess how it goes this time, if you think u werent acknowledged then u will have to be aggressive
-Congrats on starting early in intern year