Letter of Intent Before Decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andybshaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I interviewed at my first choice school and confirmed in my mind that it is absolutely the best fit for me. I would definitely attend if accepted. What are thoughts on sending a letter of intent before a decision is announced in order to increase the chances of acceptance?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did that and got waitlisted. Who knows though? Could have just been bad luck. Or not...

I wrote a strong letter of interest to a school I'm going to attend if I don't get into a state school. I was accepted 7 days after my interview and other people from my interview weren't accepted until over month after me.

Depends on the school; won't hurt to try

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I interviewed at my first choice school and confirmed in my mind that it is absolutely the best fit for me. I would definitely attend if accepted. What are thoughts on sending a letter of intent before a decision is announced in order to increase the chances of acceptance?

Thanks!
If you just interviewed and haven't written your interviewer Thank You cards, include your intent in them. Remember, the interviewers are your advocate in the committee meeting. If you concisely and eloquently say "School X is where I want to go if I'm fortunate to get accepted" that can go a long way to helping your cause.

Reactions: 1 user
If you just interviewed and haven't written your interviewer Thank You cards, include your intent in them. Remember, the interviewers are your advocate in the committee meeting. If you concisely and eloquently say "School X is where I want to go if I'm fortunate to get accepted" that can go a long way to helping your cause.
Or not... it depends on the school. As an interviewer, I submit my comments within 24 hours and I'm out. Getting a thank you letter is nice but it will have no influence on the admission decision at my school.

Most Deans, I think, find the letter of intent to be bull sh *t because they've seen too many times that the applicant who professes their undying devotion to the school will jump ship when a better financial offer or a more prestigious school comes to call.

Reactions: 3 users
First, find out if they accept LOI.

If not, forget about it. How would you interpret a nonbinding contract from a desperate candidate?

The only thing that will really work will be a large donation check.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Or not... it depends on the school. As an interviewer, I submit my comments within 24 hours and I'm out. Getting a thank you letter is nice but it will have no influence on the admission decision at my school.

Most Deans, I think, find the letter of intent to be bull sh *t because they've seen too many times that the applicant who professes their undying devotion to the school will jump ship when a better financial offer or a more prestigious school comes to call.
Is it your opinion that there is no efficacy in sending one at all? It's more likely to have negative effects than beneficial.

Not likely to be damaging but it wastes your time and mine if I'm the office staffer who has to handle the communication.
Okay, thanks for the insight! Hopefully everything will work out.