Letter of Intent for dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should you send a letter of intent to your dental school?

• Total voters

jkbaltimore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to what people think!
Should we send a letter of intent to our top choice dental school?
I'll create a poll, but if you'd like to elaborate as to why you chose what you chose, that'd be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on who reads your letter of intent. I am not too sure, but I just have this gut feeling that it'll be seen more negatively than positively.
A letter of intent seems to try and bypass the system. Maybe it would be wise to call the school and find out their stance on LOI before sending one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I voted "Yes to any school you have interest" for two reasons:

1) At one of my interviews, the Dean of Admissions came to us and explicitly told us that writing a letter of intent is appreciated and that they look at it while considering our file. This Dean recommended that we submit the Letter of Intent ASAP.

2) I have spoken with several dentists who received interviews to their dream schools 1-3 days after demonstrating their intent in that program.

Let's be real. Dental schools have thousands of applicants and only a few hundred interview spots. If you were an admissions officer, wouldn't you be more likely to pay some attention to the file of an applicant who demonstrated genuine interest and enthusiasm in your program?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

1) At one of my interviews, the Dean of Admissions came to us and explicitly told us that writing a letter of intent is appreciated and that they look at it while considering our file. This Dean recommended that we submit the Letter of Intent ASAP.

2) I have spoken with several dentists who received interviews to their dream schools 1-3 days after demonstrating their intent in that program.

Let's be real. Dental schools have thousands of applicants and only a few hundred interview spots. If you were an admissions officer, wouldn't you be more likely to pay some attention to the file of an applicant who demonstrated genuine interest and enthusiasm in your program?
LOI here, we are talking about the handwritten letter correct? not just an e-mail
Sorry if I'm being stupid haha

Reactions: 1 user
LOI here, we are talking about the handwritten letter correct? not just an e-mail
Sorry if I'm being stupid haha

So the Dean of Admissions from the interview was fine with an e-mail and told the entire interview group that it really helps them if they know that you want to go there.

I emailed and then personally called to follow up. The Dean mentioned that they had made notes on it and would present it to the entire admissions committee.

So the Dean of Admissions from the interview was fine with an e-mail and told the entire interview group that it really helps them if they know that you want to go there.

I emailed and then personally called to follow up. The Dean mentioned that they had made notes on it and would present it to the entire admissions committee.
But then wouldn't everyone be e-mailing that they have interest of going there? then the whole value of LOI would be gone.
Would you mind if I ask at which school you were informed of this LOI thing?

Reactions: 1 users
But then wouldn't everyone be e-mailing that they have interest of going there?

Good question- It's not just stating your interest. Anyone could make a generic statement of interest.

It is more than simply saying "I love your school and will attend if accepted"- the Dean encouraged us to explain it. I had a 7 minute convo with the Dean where I went over the exact parts of the program, in deep detail, to justify my sincere interest.

And I was 100% honest- if I am accepted there, I will be putting my deposit down within 24 hours.

I always got the feeling that a letter of intent is more for an applicant that already has acceptances elsewhere, but really wants to get into a school s/he is waitlisted at.

for what it worth, after i got done interviewing at my #1 school, i sent my interviewers a letter of intent and they said they would let the admission committees know of my strong interest in their program. honestly, it can't hurt so why not give it a shot.

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone have a template for this??

Good question- It's not just stating your interest. Anyone could make a generic statement of interest.

It is more than simply saying "I love your school and will attend if accepted"- the Dean encouraged us to explain it. I had a 7 minute convo with the Dean where I went over the exact parts of the program, in deep detail, to justify my sincere interest.

And I was 100% honest- if I am accepted there, I will be putting my deposit down within 24 hours.
Yea.. UDM is my top choice and I have no doubt that I would put my deposit down right after receiving that acceptance. I would love to send the LOI, but then I'm worried it would be seen negatively. Like someone else mentioned, that I am trying to bypass the system, or for any other reasons.

Yea.. UDM is my top choice and I have no doubt that I would put my deposit down right after receiving that acceptance. I would love to send the LOI, but then I'm worried it would be seen negatively. Like someone else mentioned, that I am trying to bypass the system, or for any other reasons.

If it makes you uncomfortable, then don't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Could I ask you what school this was for?

Just for clarification, are talking about sending a LOI to a school where you have already interviewed or to a school at which you still HOPE to receive an invitation to interview?

send LOI ONLY if the school asks you for one....Admissions dislike it when you try to bother them and try to influence their decision with things like this...they will call you if they like you as an applicant...simple.

Just for clarification, are talking about sending a LOI to a school where you have already interviewed or to a school at which you still HOPE to receive an invitation to interview?

We're just discussing in general!
The pros/cons of sending one before interview, post interview, post waitlist, or whatever other situations I haven't thought of yet

Thanks Doc! I looked through that thread, but it seems like everyone's saying different things heh
Would you say each school probably views letters of intent differently? As in some appreciate them whereas others see them as annoying?
If an applicant has great stats "some appreciate them", but if an applicant has mediocre stats "others see them as annoying".

would you mind sharing at which school you were told to send the LOI?

How long are letters of intent usually?
Do you just say I would come here if I'm accepted because....?

How long are letters of intent usually?
Do you just say I would come here if I'm accepted because....?
I'd say 2-3 paragraphs of 3-5 sentences each :)

I would mention new extracurricular and academic, if applicable, updates, when you interviewed, what insight you gained from that interview (why you were affirmed that that school was for you), and how you feel you would be a good addition to that school!

How can one really say how they would be a good addition?
I'd say 2-3 paragraphs of 3-5 sentences each :)

I would mention new extracurricular and academic, if applicable, updates, when you interviewed, what insight you gained from that interview (why you were affirmed that that school was for you), and how you feel you would be a good addition to that school!