Letter of Intent for Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. Now that I've got my letters of rec squared away for the internship match, I'm starting to think about what I should write about in my letter of intent. Any pointers? Is it something similar to a personal statement for vet school? Do I talk about cases I saw during clinics that impacted me? Or just what I want to do with my life? Or a mixture of both?? HELP. Tre importante.

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote more about what I wanted to do with my life. I talked about wanting to do clin path and the reasons why, my reasons for pursuing an internship (internships are highly preferred but still not absolutely required for clin path yet), and then a couple examples of traits I thought would make me a good candidate for an internship. Maybe that wasn't the way most people go about it, but it worked out. I had read residency LOIs from the residents in the specialty at my school and modeled it off of those, not necessarily an internship LOI.

Reactions: 1 users
What kinds of internships are you applying for? SA rotating my guess would be what you bring to the table simply because the competitiveness. My LA was focused around my dedication to the field and why I was applying for both FA and LA internships.

Members don't see this ad :)
SA rotating, if that helps at all (primarily focused on private practice, but throwing a few academic programs into the mix as well).

Mine was more about what I could bring to the table and what I wanted to get out of an internship at their practice. I originally applied to private internships, then tweaked my statement for the match.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to SA rotating internships this past match and I talked about what I hoped to get out of an internship, residency plans, and what I could bring to the internship.

I included the following:
1) The position I was searching for (small animal rotating internship)
2) Ultimate goal (future plans)
3) Positive personal characteristics/traits (i.e. detail oriented, calm in stressful situations, etc.) that I could offer
4) Tied in several previous research experiences and studies participated in
5) What I hoped to gain from the internship - i.e. further education from journal clubs, book clubs, etc
6) Personal philosophy about continuing education, working partnership with clients, communication
7) Summarized with something like...I would appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate how I can be an asset etc etc. Please feel free to contact me with any questions about my application

Reactions: 1 user
Another question in regards to the match for SA rotating internship:

Option A: a LOR from a clinician who you worked a lot with on clinics (in the trenches, per se) and can vouch for your abilities first hand

Option B: a LOR from a very well known and respected senior clincian/service chief who has made it clear they feel the same way as Option A but was not directly involved with you in clinics.

Thoughts?

Option A: a LOR from a clinician who you worked a lot with on clinics (in the trenches, per se) and can vouch for your abilities first hand

Option B: a LOR from a very well known and respected senior clincian/service chief who has made it clear they feel the same way as Option A but was not directly involved with you in clinics.

Thoughts?

Caveat: I went straight into practice and didn't do internship/residency. That said, I think I'd go with Option B. If they're going to say the same things about you as A, it probably carries more weight.

Couple questions: First, can people co-write LORs for match/internship? If so, maybe you could have the two of them do it. And, is there a reason not do do both Option A and B? (Limitations on how many letters you can have, I take it?)

I definitely have thought about a co-authored LOR but haven't really heard of anyone doing it for the match? It may end up with the number of LORs limiting, but also A and B are both outside my specialty of interest (end goal ECC residency). Does the specialty affiliation of the writers matter for internships if you're very clear to them about plans for a residency?

Thoughts?

Why can't you have both? I submitted 4 for my internship, 3 for my residency.

Why can't you have both? I submitted 4 for my internship, 3 for my residency.

3 for residency? Does that mean you didn't include the one where I wrote "She's hot and your clients will pay for more diagnostics because of it!"?

So disappointed.

Reactions: 2 users
3 for residency? Does that mean you didn't include the one where I wrote "She's hot and your clients will pay for more diagnostics because of it!"?

So disappointed.

I think that one was part of the supplemental.

Thoughts?

I think both if you can swing it, Option B if not. Names/connections do carry weight in the process.

Three letters are fine for internships, right?