Letter of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych84

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll have to construct this letter by Sept, as I'll be applying for some grad programs. I remember somebody posting an article that outlined all the "dont's". I'm considering a school psychology program and I want to sort of write something that speaks of my "eventful" childhood, but I don't want to make it sound like I feel I'm more qualified because I can relate to children going through difficult circumstances, and I'm sort of unsure if I should be bringing those things up at all. But I fear as much making it sound like every other letter and not standing out.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

and would it be a bad idea to talk about poor motivation/not knowing what you wanted to do in the past?

being gay? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I would really stay away from all those things. Speak broadly about your inspiration, but a "Statement of Purpose" (from an admission comittee or POI perspective) is really mostly about asessing whether goals and interests fit with what the program can offer.

I would really stay away from all those things. Speak broadly about your inspiration, but a "Statement of Purpose" (from an admission comittee or POI perspective) is really mostly about asessing whether goals and interests fit with what the program can offer.

Ah ok. That gives me good idea about what to write about.

I'm supposed to be talking on the phone to the academic coordinator of this program next week. I had some questions for her on email, she suggested that she can call me to discuss it more. I wonder if this is a bit of a "test"..pre-interview kind of thing.

Ah ok. That gives me good idea about what to write about.

I'm supposed to be talking on the phone to the academic coordinator of this program next week. I had some questions for her on email, she suggested that she can call me to discuss it more. I wonder if this is a bit of a "test"..pre-interview kind of thing.

Don't forget that it's a statement of purpose not a personal statement - Once I realized that and really thought about what that distinction meant, it was a little easier to write my SOP.

Reactions: 1 user
To echo what some have already said and to add some more information to possibly help you: avoid those personal disclosures that can be seen in a negative light by the admissions committee. Your main focus should be on your applicable qualifications/experiences (i.e., research, clinical, and/or teaching experiences) and how they tie into the objectives of the program. For example, the convergence of your research and clinical experiences lead you to pursue a PhD in clinical psychology at a scientist practitioner model program.

The only place for disclosure may be to create a thoughtful narrative. But, again, this should not be your sole focus. You might devote 1-2 sentences for a small, funny story that demonstrates your passion for the particular training program.

avoid those personal disclosures that can be seen in a negative light by the admissions committee

This is key. YOU might think you've written this compelling narrative, but it is very hard to do this kind of disclosure and NOT have it come off as "and because of this I am especially suited to work with this population."

That's the thing, I don't have research or much of direct volunteer experience. (but this program doesn't need research experience as its a terminal masters/course-based, no thesis) Since it is school psychology, should I bring up my positive high school experience as one reason? I do have experience coaching kids competitive sports as well.

Not only does the lack of any relevant experiences make writing the SOP more difficult, but it makes selling yourself as an applicant more difficult as well.

I would personally (lol) avoid talking about high school experiences in a graduate application. This would make sense for an undergraduate application because up to that point all you've acquired are experiences since high school. Graduate admissions committees would be more interested in the experiences you've acquired during your undergraduate years. In the mind of an admissions committee, talking about high school experiences may lead them to think there is a hole in your application (i.e., what has this person been doing since high school other than taking undergraduate courses?).

In your SOP I suggest you talk about ANY strengths of your application and how they relate to the specific graduate program. Relative to doctoral programs, you will be held under less scrutiny when applying to master's programs.

And here is the kisses of death article for applying to graduate programs: http://psychology.unl.edu/psichi/Graduate_School_Application_Kisses_of_Death.pdf

That's the thing, I don't have research or much of direct volunteer experience. (but this program doesn't need research experience as its a terminal masters/course-based, no thesis) Since it is school psychology, should I bring up my positive high school experience as one reason? I do have experience coaching kids competitive sports as well.

you are probably not going to be competitive without any requisite experience.

you are probably not going to be competitive without any requisite experience.

I guess I'm wondering what sort of experience they would be looking for?
I'm sure some programs would accept coaching kids/youth competitive soccer as experience?

I'm sure some programs would accept coaching kids/youth competitive soccer as experience?

It shows you are interested in children and perhaps good at working with them. But not much else.

Members don't see this ad :)
It shows you are interested in children and perhaps good at working with them. But not much else.
It is a lot like teaching, which is seen as the "ideal" experience. As a coach you need to be a good leader, you need to communicate well, you teach them skills, etc

Are you applying for a job as a teacher though? If I am looking at your application, I would want to see that you have some basic experience or exposure to the topic/field at hand. I also want to see indicators or ability for academic achievement at the graduate level.

It doesn't state what sort of experience is counted for the University I'm applying to, but I checked maybe the best school in Canada and their school psychology, program (University of Toronto), and it says this:

"
Your professional reference letter can come from anyone who has knowledge of your
ability to work with children and families. Examples may include a supervisor at a
volunteer setting or summer camp or an employer at a setting where you worked with
children or families as part of your job (e.g., daycare centre, community recreation
program). "

---------------------------------

Seems my experience should be ok.

To add to what erg mentioned, although that may be an applicable experience at that school, it is important to show how qualified you are at the graduate level. Sure, it might be a good experience for that particular school, but, from what you've told us, it sounds like it was only a high school experience. Typically you should focus on detailing your experiences from your time as an undergraduate (or graduate, if applicable). If I was on the admissions committee and read your SOP, I might ask how a high school student's application for our undergraduate program got in with the graduate program apps.

And keep in mind that you quoted a section about who you might get a professional reference from. That may not translate to what you should include in your SOP.

To add to what erg mentioned, although that may be an applicable experience at that school, it is important to show how qualified you are at the graduate level. Sure, it might be a good experience for that particular school, but, from what you've told us, it sounds like it was only a high school experience. Typically you should focus on detailing your experiences from your time as an undergraduate (or graduate, if applicable). If I was on the admissions committee and read your SOP, I might ask how a high school student's application for our undergraduate program got in with the graduate program apps.

And keep in mind that you quoted a section about who you might get a professional reference from. That may not translate to what you should include in your SOP.

No. This was not an experience in high school lol. I coached soccer in 2007. I finished high school in 2002.

My bad. Wrongly lumped your comment about positive high school experiences with your soccer coaching.

In that case, it would be fine to talk about in the SOP. However, if you possess any research training, teaching experience, or exposure to the field of school psychology, then those would be preferable.

What sort of experiences can I get? I can't get teaching experience as I don't have that kind of qualification.

What sort of experiences can I get? I can't get teaching experience as I don't have that kind of qualification.

I'm not entirely clear on what program you are applying to or what your career goal is.

I'm not entirely clear on what program you are applying to or what your career goal is.

The program is called School Psychology/Applied Child Psychology. (not sure if you meant just the title of if you'd like to know what the program teaches so... The program has three practicums (completed each time after courses on academic assesment, cognitive/neurpsychological assesment, then one after social/emotional/behavioral assessment) Also courses on learning about childhood disorders, 3 courses on research methods, interventions, ethics). Then there is an internship. (1200hours)

My goal would be to be a School Psychologist, and to maybe have a part-time private practice on the side.

Are you talking about OISE's SCCP Program? If so, the MA program is a scientist-practictioner program and they will want to see some significant research experience at the undergraduate level. If you don't have relevant research experience, you might consider delaying your application by a year while you pursue this (or apply anyway, but pursue research experience in the mean time in case you don't get in to any graduate programs this year).

Last edited:
Masters in school psychology programs (in the USA) generally look for any type of exposure to children. This can include coaching, as you previously mentioned. Obviously working with children in an educational context is more valuable for a school psychology degree program, but I think your experience is fine. Research exposure isn't really necessary in applying for a school psych masters, but it could help I guess.

The program is called School Psychology/Applied Child Psychology. (not sure if you meant just the title of if you'd like to know what the program teaches so... The program has three practicums (completed each time after courses on academic assesment, cognitive/neurpsychological assesment, then one after social/emotional/behavioral assessment) Also courses on learning about childhood disorders, 3 courses on research methods, interventions, ethics). Then there is an internship. (1200hours)

My goal would be to be a School Psychologist, and to maybe have a part-time private practice on the side.

I dont think the research componet is obviously as necessary here as it is for Ph.D programs, but given that this is a degree that requires clinical interest and contact, I would want to see that you have some history of interest/experience in mental health.

I dont think the research componet is obviously as necessary here as it is for Ph.D programs, but given that this is a degree that requires clinical interest and contact, I would want to see that you have some history of interest/experience in mental health.
In Canada anyways, we tend distinguish between professional programs and research programs. So this University I want to get into, they have Counselling Psychology (M.C (professional), then Msc and Phd.). Then they have School Psychology/Applied and have M.ed (professional), Msc, Phd. Professional programs are course based with no thesis (essentially terminal masters). Research programs of course need research experience, the pro, def prefer that you have experience (but not always needed)

Had a discussion with the academic coordinator of this program. She essentially said that gpa wasn't the most important thing and that they look at the whole application, especially letter of intent. She said it is important that the letter of intent shows that the person knows about the field and explains why they would be a good fit. For whatever reason, their school psychology is not that popular (essentially 40% acceptance rate, because there are only about 70 applicants each year). I guess School Psychology is not that sexy. She says though that you can make good money because a lot of people are willing to pay for private assessments (not go through school).

Some good points have been made above, and since you are applying to Canadian programs, they are going to differ in terms of admission, so I won't speculate on that end. If you are in a position for which you have little to no experience in research or applied psychology, you will need to play other components of your life to your advantage. One thing I have discussed on many occasions with my PI is my background, I have a unique one, and I am sure many of us do. If I were in your position, I would start "re-framing" many aspects of my life to essentially make-shift plausible evidence that I have certain reasoning skills, aptitude and work ethic capabilities. If your program includes an LGBT emphasis to help LGBT children, I would emphasize this to a certain extent, certainly not in a crude or awkward way, but to at least provide that acknowledgment that you are part of a certain minority group and that you identify with this group and can provide such insight in the practice of school psychology with LGBT children.

I would recommend that any compelling stories of possible accomplishments that were achieved in dire situations should be emphasized. This in itself can provide some evidence of perseverance and persistence as could information on coming from a disadvantaged background and attaining what you have today. As a former professional musician, I had the privilege to work with many "greats", the "Nelson Butters" of trombonists if you will, the one thing I can tell you is that being a student at Juilliard or New England Conservatory didn't mean you had to be the greatest player at that moment in life, but you needed to be better than most and most of all, you needed to be "teachable."

I think if you can touch up on the "teachable" aspect of your application, many faculty members will like this. Before doing neuropsychology, I came from a music background, then to a sociology background, now I do neuropsychology, so, I may not be the best GRE test-taker, but I know how to achieve and learn, and I certainly know how to overcome the Debbie-Downers of our profession, every profession has them...they are the "pragmatists."

Most of all, curtail your statement to each school, some schools have the letter of intent/personal statement very specific and want to only know what you have done in research or clinical aspects, some will ask you to summarize why you feel that program is a good fit for you, why school psychology is your choice in career, and most have a variation on these themes. Obviously you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip, but if you have even minor experience in psychology, start re-framing :)...something psychology loves to accentuate in its practices.

afaik, school psych's in ontario work on contract with the boards, and there aren't a ton of new positions (for anyone; cf the thousands of unemployed teachers waiting to sub). ask the coordinator about placement stats, not just info like 'it's probably fine if you go private'. (and then report back :) ).

it's hard to get a sense of the regulatory environment SPs deal with, even. the website for their professional body has no section on education or standards (and looks like a blog from 1998). unless it's an association, not a college.

See look: http://www.acposb.on.ca/FAQs.html

^^ link different from the blog mentioned -- i can't find that anywhere today.

i think SP is unregulated in ontario (which, really, something left unregulated! shock ). They go on about regulation of psych associates and CPA accredited PhDs, and then about school psychology:

Who provides psychological services in schools?

Psychological services staff have post-graduate level education and professional training and experience in psychology. They are specifically trained in and are knowledgeable about child and adolescent development, human learning, psychological assessment as well as social-emotional functioning. The profession is regulated by the College of Psychologists of Ontario and operates under a code of ethics, as outlined in the Regulated Health Professions Act and the Psychology Act. Confidential psychological services are provided under the supervision of the Chief Psychologist of the board.

Providers of school psychological services have many different titles, including Psychologist, Psychological Associate, Psycho-educational Consultant, Psychometrist, Psycho-educational Associate, etc. Psychologists and Psychological Associates are registered members of the College of Psychologists.

that said i know the doctoral bit o f OISE"s SCCP is accredited, and the MA would prob be fine for registration as an associate

Last edited:
I'm looking into Alberta, sockit.

I spoke to the Coordinator today and she says there is a lot of need there for School Psychologists.

Ah, ok. (But then you have to live in Alberta ;) )

Volunteer your time in a school, pediatric clinic, domestic violence shelter, facility that treats children with learning disabilities. Gain some exposure to children outside of those that require teaching certificates. You will need to be trained to do these positions but you can start looking into them now. When I was an extern at a pediatric outpatient clinic in a large urban medical center, there were volunteers that would play & sit with the children in the waiting rooms. Of course, they were cleared by the hospital and went through security clearance and orientation (as all hospital volunteers do), but they were volunteers so the prerequisites were 18 years of age, drug-free with no criminal records. There are plenty of opportunities that would impress school psychology programs, you just have to be resourceful and find them in your area.

I just commented on another post that I'm a sexual assault and domestic violence program volunteer and we are trained for child cases too, and are available when children need our services (sadly). Also, there are volunteer suicide hotlines, like Samaritans that would also require you to be mature and at least 18 years old. These are the types of experiences that would provide you experiences that would help make you a competitive applicant...and besides the program research that is usually involved in these social-type programs, they do not require research experience...only commitment and maturity.

OP, not that I am knocking your experience as little league sports coach (because my husband coaches all our kids' sports teams...and it's tough work), but someone with those experiences PLUS 1-2 years (or even 6 months) volunteering in a clinic that assesses developmental disabilities (even if it is helping parents complete paperwork or occupying the children/siblings' time while the parents are interviewed during intake appointments) will fare much better during application time, than just the coaching experience alone.

Last edited:
afaik, school psych's in ontario work on contract with the boards, and there aren't a ton of new positions (for anyone; cf the thousands of unemployed teachers waiting to sub). ask the coordinator about placement stats, not just info like 'it's probably fine if you go private'. (and then report back :) ).

it's hard to get a sense of the regulatory environment SPs deal with, even. the website for their professional body has no section on education or standards (and looks like a blog from 1998). unless it's an association, not a college.

See look: http://www.acposb.on.ca/FAQs.html

^^ link different from the blog mentioned -- i can't find that anywhere today.

i think SP is unregulated in ontario (which, really, something left unregulated! shock ). They go on about regulation of psych associates and CPA accredited PhDs, and then about school psychology:

Who provides psychological services in schools?

Psychological services staff have post-graduate level education and professional training and experience in psychology. They are specifically trained in and are knowledgeable about child and adolescent development, human learning, psychological assessment as well as social-emotional functioning. The profession is regulated by the College of Psychologists of Ontario and operates under a code of ethics, as outlined in the Regulated Health Professions Act and the Psychology Act. Confidential psychological services are provided under the supervision of the Chief Psychologist of the board.

Providers of school psychological services have many different titles, including Psychologist, Psychological Associate, Psycho-educational Consultant, Psychometrist, Psycho-educational Associate, etc. Psychologists and Psychological Associates are registered members of the College of Psychologists.

that said i know the doctoral bit o f OISE"s SCCP is accredited, and the MA would prob be fine for registration as an associate

I checked with the College, got a quick reply.

So all those other professionals (titles) can only work in schools under the supervision of Psychologists and Psychological Associates. Furthemore, only Psychologists can offer a diagnosis. So it is regulated.

Essentially, a Psychologist who has the competence to be a school psychologist can change their title to such.

Volunteer your time in a school, pediatric clinic, domestic violence shelter, facility that treats children with learning disabilities. Gain some exposure to children outside of those that require teaching certificates. You will be need to be trained to do these positions but you can start looking into them now. When I was an extern at a pediatric outpatient clinic in a large urban medical center, there were volunteers that would play & sit with the children in the waiting rooms. Of course, they were cleared by the hospital and went through security clearance and orientation (as all hospital volunteers do), but they were volunteers so they prerequisites were 18 years of age, drug-free with no criminal records. There are plenty of opportunities that would impress school psychology programs, you just have to be resourceful and find them in your area.

I just commented on another post that I'm a sexual assault and domestic violence program volunteer and we are trained for child cases too, and are available when children need our services (sadly). Also, there are volunteer suicide hotlines, like Samaritans that would also require you to be mature and at least 18 years old. These are the types of experiences that would provide you experiences that would help make you a competitive applicant...and besides the program research that is usually involved in these social-type programs, they do not require research experience...only commitment and maturity.

OP, not that I am knocking your experience as little league sports coach (because my husband coaches all our kids' sports teams...and it's tough work), but someone with those experiences PLUS 1-2 years (or even 6 months) volunteering in a clinic that assesses developmental disabilities (even if it is helping parents complete paperwork or occupying the children/siblings' time while the parents are interviewed during intake appointments) will fare much better during application time, than just the coaching experience alone.

Thank you. This was a valuable post. :)

I should also ask. Since I intend on taking a terminal Masters (no thesis), is there a way that I can get research experience aside from going back to finish an honours psychology undergrad degree (where a thesis is usually required)? Just in case I change my mind in the future and want to get a Phd.

Bump for my last question.

If there is a university or clinic or university-affiliated hospital around you with clinical, counseling or school psychology, you could allocate 15-20 hours a week as an unpaid intern to conduct research and gain valuable clinical experience. This was an option I had to entertain myself while I have been in my master's program. I would suggest trying to get out some posters and manuscript within your first year there as an intern and getting psychometric experience.

If there is a university or clinic or university-affiliated hospital around you with clinical, counseling or school psychology, you could allocate 15-20 hours a week as an unpaid intern to conduct research and gain valuable clinical experience.

Agreed. Although most of my research experience came from being a clinical research coordinator in two major clinical/research departments (surgery & oncology) in a large urban medical school/medical center, which was full-time paid work for many years (I was older than the average applicant), and I actually got to travel to research conferences (all over U.S. and Europe) on my departments' bill. :cool:(Tooting my own horn for past efforts.)

For those of you out there: if you're young enough & determined, but find yourselves not competitive straight out of undergrad (Lord knows I was not), think about about putting in the time & effort to be a 'professional researcher' for a while. It is not necessary, but certainly helps. I also worked these jobs while getting a masters degree in general psych (which I did in 1.5 years because I powered on through as fast I could)...so all things considered, I took that (LOOOOOOONG) route to get here. I was never satisfied just being a research assistant/project coordinator...and intended to be a clinical psychologist the entire time.

Last edited:
Agreed. Although most of my research experience came from being a clinical research coordinator in two major clinical/research departments (surgery & oncology) in a large urban medical school/medical center, which was full-time paid work for many years (I was older than the average applicant), and I actually got to travel to research conferences (all over U.S. and Europe) on my departments' bill. :cool:(Tooting my own horn for past efforts.)

For those of you out there: if you're young enough & determined, but find yourselves not competitive straight out of undergrad (Lord knows I was not), think about about putting in the time & effort to be a 'professional researcher' for a while. It is not necessary, but certainly helps. I also worked these jobs while getting a masters degree in general psych (which I did in 1.5 years because I powered on through as fast I could)...so all things considered, I took that (LOOOOOOONG) route to get here. I was never satisfied just being a research assistant/project coordinator...and intended to be a clinical psychologist the entire time.

Exactly. I started off a year ago unpaid, spent minimal time in getting through the basics of data cleaning, etc. Finally I got my own project, then that turned into 3-4 posters really fast for NAN then a paper as a second author, now getting on a couple of other manuscripts, one as a primary author. After I spent one year doing this, bouncing around as a clinical extern during my GRA stuff I got to work in neurology and an alzheimer's disease center which lead to my spot in psychometry that I officially start this next Monday!

It's a pain in the ass, but considering I came in with a lack in formal research and being a master's student, these really have helped secure many LOR's at a large medical university, which happens to also be an institution where I would like to complete my Ph.D. at. Plus, I get to work on tons of topics in forensic neuropsychology, clinical neuropsychology, teleneuropsychology.

Tooting my horn as well, but it is none-the-less a pretty viable way to achieve the necessities. Also, I happen to live in a state where mental health is considered a luxury and is typically viewed as not being a real "issue"...but a problem with finding Jesus/God. :p (Texas)

Exactly. I started off a year ago unpaid, spent minimal time in getting through the basics of data cleaning, etc. Finally I got my own project, then that turned into 3-4 posters really fast for NAN then a paper as a second author, now getting on a couple of other manuscripts, one as a primary author. After I spent one year doing this, bouncing around as a clinical extern during my GRA stuff I got to work in neurology and an alzheimer's disease center which lead to my spot in psychometry that I officially start this next Monday!

It's a pain in the ass, but considering I came in with a lack in formal research and being a master's student, these really have helped secure many LOR's at a large medical university, which happens to also be an institution where I would like to complete my Ph.D. at. Plus, I get to work on tons of topics in forensic neuropsychology, clinical neuropsychology, teleneuropsychology.

Tooting my horn as well, but it is none-the-less a pretty viable way to achieve the necessities. Also, I happen to live in a state where mental health is considered a luxury and is typically viewed as not being a real "issue"...but a problem with finding Jesus/God. :p (Texas)

CogNeuroGuy...I hope you are looking at funded programs as well (I thought I read that you may not). Search Jon Snow's old threads (he consistently makes valid, logical points about intended financial investments during doctoral programs - swayed me to the other side)....friends don't let friends do professional schools. It was by the Grace of God (since we're on the subject...literally, LUCK at the time) but after being super-determined, I got a spot in a funded program and it ended up being a pretty sweet deal after all the hard work I put into it..not to mention all the hard work I have been putting into it for the past 6+ years. But, alas, it is worth it in the end. I love my career now and wouldn't want to be any other kind of professional (maybe an astronaut...but, that's a moot point).

Last edited:
Yes, this is a consideration. I was talking to my husband about it last night and I may or may not just stay where I am at for another year or so and try to find a way to rationalize re taking/studying the GRE. That is probably the biggest thing counting against me. I still personally feel that my major in sociology with my minor in psychology is hindering me when I apply to a school that has mostly psychology majors. I am hoping my master's in cognitive neuroscience will help offset that (really hope).

My program director always beamed at what wonderful psychologists English majors make because of their eloquence with words and command of the English language (even those non-native English speakers who majored in English Lit). Just create a strong narrative from your personal, academic, and work history and go for it. I wouldn't feel 'behind the 8-ball' b/c you didn't major in psych. You'll be exposed to all you need to about psych in graduate school (and then some)...so consider yourself more well-rounded for having branched out in UG majors. One of my favorite people in my cohort was a business major, and she is a pragmatic, thoughtful, awesome therapist (who picked up some major research skills along the way in her doctoral studies). ;)

Yes, this is a consideration. I was talking to my husband about it last night and I may or may not just stay where I am at for another year or so and try to find a way to rationalize re taking/studying the GRE. That is probably the biggest thing counting against me. I still personally feel that my major in sociology with my minor in psychology is hindering me when I apply to a school that has mostly psychology majors. I am hoping my master's in cognitive neuroscience will help offset that (really hope).

I'd agree with CheetahGirl in that I don't think a non-psychology major is going to hurt you very much, if at all, so long as you have the appropriate coursework completed. And with a psychology minor, I'm guess that's going to be the case. But yes, that masters in neuroscience will also help, particularly for neuropsych-oriented programs (I remember talking with a very well-renowned faculty member within the past couple years about how they actually preferred neuroscience to psych majors when it came to accepting neuropsych students).

The GRE is certainly a pain, but if you do end up taking it again, perhaps you'll be able to transfer some of the skills you use in preparing for that to your EPPP prep.

So I`ve been looking into getting some volunteer research experience, I found possible opportunities with my University, but wanted to ask you what experience would be the best out of these options.

What tasks would you be willing to do? (Please select one or more options)

Quels types de tâches seriez-vous prêt a faire? (Veuillez choisir une ou plusieurs options)

Data entry/ entrée de données ____

• Recruitment (posters and flyers)/
recrutement (affiches et pamphlets) ____

• Recruitment in classes/
recrutement dans les classes ____

• Internet research/
recherche sur internet ____

• Clerical work (e.g. filling, create abstract database, etc)/
tâches de bureau

``

Cheers

And how many hours should I be willing to commit to per week?

This is couples research.

Those are all great rudimentary tasks involved in the research process, and, ultimately, it will be up to you on how much time you're willing to commit. Be mindful that you don't over-commit yourself so that you can't excel at these tasks. Part-time (~20hrs/wk) is usually a healthy medium.

You'll want to prove to your supervisor that you're more than capable acting in all of these tasks. Be reliable and trustworthy so that they might allow you to work in a larger capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
But would this kind of research experience make you competitive for Phd programs, or do you actually need to publish some research ? (be an author)

I don't think it would necessarily make you competitive as it would put you on a more even playing field. Most, if not all, applicants have done these sort of tasks (i.e., data entry, participant recruitment, literature reviews).

Psychology research is much like getting a job elsewhere. Unless we came into a lab with previous experience, I doubt few of us who volunteered as undergraduate research assistants were immediately trusted for creating conference presentations and writing manuscripts. Most of us worked our way up the ladder: start an an entry level position performing basic tasks, such as literature reviews and participant recruitment, making our way up to a supervisory or managerial position (e.g., coordinating a research project as a whole).

Sure, these entry level tasks are all easy and (almost) anyone can perform them; however, I think it's more important that you demonstrate yourself as trustworthy and reliable to your supervisor. Schedule set times with your supervisor, show up on time, and excel at the tasks you're given. These are the people we look to hire as research assistants and then trust to present posters and write manuscripts.

So I see another opportunity for research at my University (as a volunteer research assistant, in regards to neuropsychology research). Would I need to have some sort of experience for such a position? or could this be doing rudimentary tasks again?