Letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocSqd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the appropriate length and content of the message w you send to your number one program? Do you explain at length why you are choosing them? Do youake a final case for yourself? Or do you simply state your intentions in a couple of sentences. I know this has been touched on elsewhere but I'm looking more for what not to do.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Short and direct.

First sentence should go something like, "Thanks for the opportunity to visit your program . . ."
Second should go like, "I wanted to let you know that I'm ranking you #1 . . ."
Third should go like, "Though I had the opportunity to visit many excellent programs, I feel yours will be the best fit because . . ."

Thanks GFunk. I will begin editing down the one page letter I currently have. It would be appropriate to include this as part of my thank you note as well? I only just interviewed at the program recently and thus haven't sent thank you notes yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I incorrect in thinking you can send multiple letters of intent? Obviously you should only tell one program they are ranked #1, but what's wrong with telling two-three others they will be ranked very highly?

Am I incorrect in thinking you can send multiple letters of intent? Obviously you should only tell one program they are ranked #1, but what's wrong with telling two-three others they will be ranked very highly?

"Ranked Highly" = "Not ranked #1"

Basically, it's not saying very much and particularly sensitive PDs may find it borderline insulting.

I was advised to send letters to the "non-number one" top programs, expressing my interest in the specific program, with reasons, but without saying anything about rank. Like Gfunk said, "highly ranked" = not #1. Obviously there is only 1 number one and so I didn't want my number 2 program to feel equivalent to my number 13 by not receiving anything and having no idea whether or not I liked their program. I also understand that even sending a letter to your number one program, will most likely not effect their initial rank lists. :oops:

Bumped to clarify:

Clearly letting the number one know is well accepted wisdom but I had a couple follow up questions!

1) If you feel like your number 1 e-mail may carry more weight with one program or another you shouldn't change you rank list accordingly? Right?

2) For the number 1 e-mail, is their a preferred format? E-mail, phone call, etc?

3) So whats the consensus about sending letters to those programs towards the top of the list but not number one? I surmise that you can send it if you want, or don't, and it won't make much of a difference.

Thanks for helping to clarify for those of us entering the tail end of interview season!

1. Rank programs based on your own preference, period. Don't try to "game" the Match.

2. Depends on you, the program and your relationship. For me, a phone call would have been somewhat awkward so I went with email.

3. Follow the advice in Radbio22's post.

I know that faculty at a lot of programs get together right after interviews to put their lists together and letters of intent have absolutely no purpose. If you really liked a program you probably already sent them a thank you card saying why you liked them. I personally think there is no reason to send anything to programs other than your #1 at this point. One of the best things about rad onc is its generally not as super hyped up type a as other competitive specialties. You can seriously relax and leave most of the "games" behind you in med school and enjoy your new lives. Starting today :)

I have not been sending any thank yous out to any programs and I don't (err didn't) intend to start. Is this bad form? I've heard (albeit entirely speculation based) that most rank lists are constructed almost immediately after interviews and irrespective of TYs. However, I have heard that depending on the program (some are set in stone) a LoI can influence a candidate's final rank. Is this bad form and am I not going to math for not sending these thank you things? I don't imagine that is the case but would you advise doing so for the remainder of interview season?

I suspect thank yous may sometimes affect where someone matches but I doubt they rarely if ever determine if someone matches. It can't hurt to start for the remaining places. I wouldn't send for anywhere you have already gone though...wouldn't look genuine.

I know that what Gfunk says is correct, in that the best strategy is to just rank programs in the order in which you would like to go to them, and that it is best not to try to game the system. Is that also true of the school that you inform is your #1 choice??

I have heard some people say that telling a school that they are your first choice is a "bullet that you only get to fire once". If I have a reach dream program that I interviewed at, and a pretty good program that I interviewed at, is there any sense in choosing the pretty good program as my "#1" over the dream program because it is safer? I guess my question is, does telling a program that they are your #1 change enough on the rank list that it would be a good idea to discard the conventional wisdom that you should just rank the programs in the order in which you would like to go them?

I know that what Gfunk says is correct, in that the best strategy is to just rank programs in the order in which you would like to go to them, and that it is best not to try to game the system. Is that also true of the school that you inform is your #1 choice??

I have heard some people say that telling a school that they are your first choice is a "bullet that you only get to fire once". If I have a reach dream program that I interviewed at, and a pretty good program that I interviewed at, is there any sense in choosing the pretty good program as my "#1" over the dream program because it is safer? I guess my question is, does telling a program that they are your #1 change enough on the rank list that it would be a good idea to discard the conventional wisdom that you should just rank the programs in the order in which you would like to go them?

This is what I was asking, but said much, much more eloquently. Thanks Lamount for writing that out. I have the same question, hopefully those further along can shed some light!

As a current applicant, this is all very interesting. My question is, why would a program care if an applicant is going to rank them first on his or her list or not? Why would that sway them? Why would they (like us) not simply rank the best top to bottom regardless of who expressed the most interest?

But assuming that telling a program is your #1 is beneficial, then maybe Lamont has a point--maybe it's best not to waste your one bullet on a program that is likely out of reach.

Last edited:
I suspect this is more of a factor come February when certain programs send out feelers to their top targets to gauge their interest in that program. The programs which do this are probably the most responsive to a letter or verbal intent and therefore may be higher yield and might be worth ranking over that reach school as telling them they aren't #1 will probably slide you down their rank list relative to those applicants that do.

Of note, this whole thing is probably rigged anyway.

I suspect this is more of a factor come February when certain programs send out feelers to their top targets to gauge their interest in that program. The programs which do this are probably the most responsive to a letter or verbal intent and therefore may be higher yield and might be worth ranking over that reach school as telling them they aren't #1 will probably slide you down their rank list relative to those applicants that do.

Of note, this whole thing is probably rigged anyway.

I know this happens every year and I feel every year we offer the same advice... rank programs you value highly and let the cards fall into place. I know as an applicant, you want to maximize your chances and do all that you can do, but from my experiences on both sides, it really doesn't matter.

Good luck and welcome to the field!

There is a big blurr between fact and legend. Even if a pd cares where you rank them to buff their numbers it only helps you if you are near their top anyway. Sit back and enjoy match day. Those programs are the minority anyway. Seriously, I know it feels weird but you already finished the game. There is nothing left to do but wait for the results, except spend a couple thousand more dollars on interviews of course :)