Letter of Interest Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pearmail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear people's thoughts re: letter of interest? Timing? Formal letter vs email etc? One program vs. multiple? - Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts re: letter of interest? Timing? Formal letter vs email etc? One program vs. multiple? - Thanks

Are you talking about before or after your interview?

Before? They know you're interested, you applied to the program.

After? A TY note saying how much you liked their program is fine. Send ONE AND ONLY ONE "love letter" at the end of interview season to your top program. Method doesn't matter although a calligraphied scroll carried by a passenger pigeon is considered slightly more impressive than an email.

Are you talking about before or after your interview?

Before? They know you're interested, you applied to the program.

After? A TY note saying how much you liked their program is fine. Send ONE AND ONLY ONE "love letter" at the end of interview season to your top program. Method doesn't matter although a calligraphied scroll carried by a passenger pigeon is considered slightly more impressive than an email.
Thanks so much. I'm fresh out of carrier pigeons unfortunately. But seriously, should the love letter post- interview season be a more formal letter? I think that emails are becoming more accepted for things such as this...agree?

Thanks so much. I'm fresh out of carrier pigeons unfortunately. But seriously, should the love letter post- interview season be a more formal letter? I think that emails are becoming more accepted for things such as this...agree?

Use email.

Keep it simple and rational. Don't kiss anyone's ass.

Simply state you are done interviewing and the program keeps popping to the top of your list, give a few short reasons why (has a strong sub-sub-specialty you are interested in, protected research time, a mentor you want to work with, etc.) but it should give a logical and rational reason for your "love". Thank them for the interview and tell them you will be ranking them number one.

Done.

Do not expect a response back.

Do not expect that it will make a difference at a top program.

Do NOT send more than one of these emails. Not only is it bad form, but you can easily get caught, ask any PD and they will tell you stories about this kind of behavior - remember it's a small group of people fellowship PDs and they all sort of to really well know each other, so you never know how you might get caught slippin'.