Letter of Rec - Ophthalmologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Paraguayo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I worked in an ophthalmologist's office last summer, and haven't spent much time shadowing optometrists.

Do you think schools would mind if I had a letter of recommendation from an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on where you go, the dean of admissions at NOVA told me he could care less about any ophthalmology experience and just blows it off when looking at an application. I dont know if that is actually true but if i were you i would get to shadowiing ASAP! i also worked at an ophthalmology office but after hearing what the dude at NOVA said i didnt bother getting a LOR. which kinda sucked bc the ophthalmologist i worked for was from HARVARD! and i thought it would have looked good on my resume

You need one from an optometrist. If you worked for an ophthalmologist and have a better relationship with them, then use him to your advantage too and get a letter from him. Ask the opthamologist if you know a good optometrist I can shadow. My doctor I worked for ended up setting me up with quiet a few people, it worked out nicely.

Members don't see this ad :)
i already submitted my application i sent in 2 optometrists and 2 science professors LOR's, i was telling you that i would do a decent amount of shadowing as well

depends on where you go, the dean of admissions at NOVA told me he could care less about any ophthalmology experience and just blows it off when looking at an application. I dont know if that is actually true but if i were you i would get to shadowiing ASAP! i also worked at an ophthalmology office but after hearing what the dude at NOVA said i didnt bother getting a LOR. which kinda sucked bc the ophthalmologist i worked for was from HARVARD! and i thought it would have looked good on my resume

Short-man syndrome

hahahaha he actually is a tall guy but he does have a bit of a 'tude i will admit....he is a tall guy with short man syndrome do you know who im talking about a NOVA?