Letter of Rec Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjfarrell21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently scribe for a Family Practice and have developed a close relationship with two of the physicians on staff--both of whom I'm sure would be willing to write me very strong LORs. Both of the physician's know me well, but Dr. A knows me better than Dr. B since her and I work more together (2-3 days/week vs. 1-2 days/week with Dr. B). All things equal I would ask Dr. A to write my letter for me, HOWEVER, Dr. B is the founder of the practice and more well known and respected physicians in the area--he does rounds at the local hospital, works in the ER, and has affiliations with his alma mater. Additionally, I plan on mentioning my time with Dr. B in my personal statement, but at the same time I could easily write about my experiences with Dr. A.
Who would I be better off asking to write me a letter, Dr. A or Dr. B? Also, would it be appropriate to ask them to write a conjoined letter, if possible? Or should I ask both of them to write me letters even though the letterhead will show I received LOR's from the same location?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I currently scribe for a Family Practice and have developed a close relationship with two of the physicians on staff--both of whom I'm sure would be willing to write me very strong LORs. Both of the physician's know me well, but Dr. A knows me better than Dr. B since her and I work more together (2-3 days/week vs. 1-2 days/week with Dr. B). All things equal I would ask Dr. A to write my letter for me, HOWEVER, Dr. B is the founder of the practice and more well known and respected physicians in the area--he does rounds at the local hospital, works in the ER, and has affiliations with his alma mater. Additionally, I plan on mentioning my time with Dr. B in my personal statement, but at the same time I could easily write about my experiences with Dr. A.
Who would I be better off asking to write me a letter, Dr. A or Dr. B? Also, would it be appropriate to ask them to write a conjoined letter, if possible? Or should I ask both of them to write me letters even though the letterhead will show I received LOR's from the same location?

Thanks.
It might be a good idea to ask both to write you letter. Stored them on inter folio. Then send them to your premed advisor or dean at your school. Even if you already graduated some deans will still be willing to work with you. Then ask them to help you decide which one to use for application. They can't tell you the content of the letter, but they sure can say, use one over the other. Some schools like mine, write composite letter that include excerpts from letter that are not part of the package.

Also, LOR from someone who knows you better>>>LOR from someone with a big title over his or her head who know you less well (in some cases, they might not know you at all...). This has been restated over and over again by various deans and adcoms I met.

Reactions: 1 users
It might be a good idea to ask both to write you letter. Stored them on inter folio. Then send them to your premed advisor or dean at your school. Even if you already graduated some deans will still be willing to work with you. Then ask them to help you decide which one to use for application. They can't tell you the content of the letter, but they sure can say, use one over the other. Some schools like mine, write composite letter that include excerpts from letter that are not part of the package.

Also, LOR from someone who knows you better>>>LOR from someone with a big title over his or her head who know you less well (in some cases, they might not know you at all...). This has been restated over and over again by various deans and adcoms I met.

Hmmm ok. My school has it's own letter service so I've just been sending some of the letters I have received to it and having them hold them until I apply. The only problem is there is a max of 6 letters it can hold, and I only am going to have one spot left when I ask one of the physicians. Because of this it sounds like I'm going to lose the ability to receive feedback from my pre-med adviser...

Even though both know me pretty well, you're still saying go with the physician who I am closer with?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm ok. My school has it's own letter service so I've just been sending some of the letters I have received to it and having them hold them until I apply. The only problem is there is a max of 6 letters it can hold, and I only am going to have one spot left when I ask one of the physicians. Because of this it sounds like I'm going to lose the ability to receive feedback from my pre-med adviser...

Even though both know me pretty well, you're still saying go with the physician who I am closer with?
Talk to your dean, the max number may not be a fixed one. If you send them 7, they'll ask you which ones you want to keep and then you can ask them which ones you should keep. A lot of things the school tell you are not law, they are suggested guidelines and rules that are subject to maneuver. If you can show that something would be in your best interest then most likely they'll make exceptions. My school's committees pack don't usually include more than 3 letter, but they decided to attach 6 in mind because all of them were very good.

Thanks.

Ask both. You can send letters directly to AMCAS too.

/thread

+1

Talk to your dean, the max number may not be a fixed one. If you send them 7, they'll ask you which ones you want to keep and then you can ask them which ones you should keep. A lot of things the school tell you are not law, they are suggested guidelines and rules that are subject to maneuver. If you can show that something would be in your best interest then most likely they'll make exceptions. My school's committees pack don't usually include more than 3 letter, but they decided to attach 6 in mind because all of them were very good.

Cool cool thank you for the heads up. I will tak to my advisors and see what they say.

I think I will ask both as you all have suggested. Thank you all for the help and advice!!