Letter of Recommendation from laboratory professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjbmwm3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

Firstly, I attend a large public university and I was a transfer student, so in the short time I've been there ito has been extremely difficult to connect much with a professor that could write letters of recommendation for me. The first person that came to mind that I became closest with is my orgo lab professor, since it was a smaller class size I was able to communicate with him more than the large lecture classes. Would it be okay to have a lab professor write a LOR? He is a PhD and adjunct faculty I believe. I excelled in his lab and got an A+.

Another option would be my anatomy professor with whom I connected with almost as much as the forementioned orgo lab prof., maybe slightly less. I did fairly well in her class (A-) and I got to talk to her in the lab section of the course. She is also a PhD.

My last option would probably be a professor who has been my undergraduate advisor, but I haven't taken any courses with him. We haven't had much of a connection other than discussing my desire to go to dental school and discussing advising matters.

My other LORs will be from my boss who is anot orthodontist and the other a long time friend of mine who is a general dentist.

I apologize for the length of this but I wanted to explain my situation in order to get a good opinion from you guys/gals.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I think as long as they are professors it should be fine. (though i heard research lab professor LOR's are not good at some schools)
LOR's are more about your relationship with professors rather than just the academic achievement which can be seen on your transcript.

I was in the same situation in a large public school and I actually didnt even realize I wanted to be a dentist until the end of my last year.
I had to ask my professors very late for LOR's and I'm sure that it's not as great as it could have been.

I think as long as they are professors it should be fine. (though i heard research lab professor LOR's are not good at some schools)
LOR's are more about your relationship with professors rather than just the academic achievement which can be seen on your transcript.
I was in the same situation in a large public school and I actually didnt even realize I wanted to be a dentist until the end of my last year.
I had to ask my professors very late for LOR's and I'm sure that it's not as great as it could have been.
DS probably couldn't care less if prof and student met for drinks at the local pub, but they might be interested in knowing if the applicant has what it takes to handle professional school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for the reply. I am asking quite late as well and hopefully it all works out.

You were successful in getting offered admission?

DS probably couldn't care less if prof and student met for drinks at the local pub, but they might be interested in knowing if the applicant has what it takes to handle professional school.

Very true, but in order for a professor to actually see that, there probably has to be some type of relationship present where the professor is at least aware of your existence. I think that's what they meant.

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah I think so, too. Rather than just a typical "this student got an A in my course" recommendation, it would be nice to have the professor talk about the applicant's capabilities and study/work ethic.

Thank you for the reply. I am asking quite late as well and hopefully it all works out.

You were successful in getting offered admission?

Very true, but in order for a professor to actually see that, there probably has to be some type of relationship present where the professor is at least aware of your existence. I think that's what they meant.

I will be starting this fall :)
Thanks for clarifying what I wrote, that's a better way describe what I wanted to say.