Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dh2020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I had a question on how the LOR are supposed to get uploaded on the optomcas. One of the doctors I shadowed emailed me saying every time they try to upload the recommendation later it signs them off. What is the reason for that? Is it because the application begins on July 1st? If anyone could help me figure this out.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure ... Don't start anything on optomcas till it becomes available

apps don't open till july, so just ask the optometrist to please save it and OPTOMCAS will send them an email of how they will submit it.

When the app opens, you will input their name and email and some other info. And after that you will get an email, that OPTOMCAS has sent an email to the people you are asking for letters of recommendation for.

Unfortunately OPTOMCAS doesn't let you use a letter service life interfolio that saves recommendations.

Check out FAQ on OPTOMCAS, it will show you directions on how this will be dealt.

Members don't see this ad :)
IIs anyone else applying to Nova or have they in past years? I have a question about LORs and I've tried contacting the school but have not received any response to emails or a voicemail. I guess I should be more patient, but I'm ready to submit my application. I'm just holding off until I can get an answer...anyway under LOR on OptomCAS it says Nova wants three letters. A science professor, general professor, and optometrist are REQUIRED. It says a composite letter is ACCEPTED. I'm assuming its this way for a reason. At my school we had to get two general and two science professors to write LORs before interviewing with the pre-health committee. Then they write a composite letter. Since its made up of general and science LORs will they accept it? I know it'd only count as one letter but I'm just curious. Any input would be great. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
If all else fails, get your letters in a sealed envelope from your recommenders and send them to OptomCAS yourself once the time comes. Some of my letters were from teachers I had a few years ago who no longer worked for the university I went to (adjunct faculty) so their phone numbers on the letterhead had been reassigned. Therefore, I couldn't get them to upload the letter online. This also works well if your professor is an old geyser who doesn't quite get the technology and it may be easier to ask for a paper letter in an envelope.

As far as Nova's requirements, I'm a 2nd year and don't remember them having any particular teacher requirements. An OD letter is obviously required, but I had 4. One OD, one OMD, both of whom I worked for, and 2 science profs (not one 'general'). However, I was told that the 2nd teacher letter was optional and that the OD, OMD, and professor letter would suffice. Then again, this was the 2011 cycle and things may have changed. Ask Fran in admissions if you need clarification, she's the best!

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll have to contact her to see if she can help me figure things out!