Letter of Reference from a Statistic professor? Good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

For one of my science professors LOR requirement, I would like to use my statistic professor who taught me . I don't personally him that well, but he is the nicest professor I ever know. He even say HI initially to me when seeing me on the campus.

anyone asked a science professor who taught non-biology related subject to write a LOR and worked? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Smooth Operater said:
anyone asked a science professor who taught non-biology related subject to write a LOR and worked? Thanks!

I had a professor in one of my writing classes write my letter of recommendation. Are you sure a stats professor will count as a science LOR though?

Smooth Operater said:
Hello guys,

For one of my science professors LOR requirement, I would like to use my statistic professor who taught me . I don't personally him that well, but he is the nicest professor I ever know. He even say HI initially to me when seeing me on the campus.

i had my calculus professor write one of my recs, but you want i didn't use it for the science req. from my experience it doesn't hurt to send extra letters to AADSAS since they copy and forward them. Each school has different req. so sending extra letters will make sure you meet all of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using my calculus professor to write one of my science LORs. I don't see a problem with it since AADSAS considers math a "science" course, why wouldn't the university?

Reactions: 1 user
whiskeysour said:
I'm using my calculus professor to write one of my science LORs. I don't see a problem with it since AADSAS considers math a "science" course.

yea i think that's fine, and I think stats is fine too.

I used an english, calculus, biology, and chemistry professor to show my wide range of capabilities. I think it helps more than hurts. Go for it

For what it is worth, Tufts counts math professors as science professors and I imagine so do all the other schools.

whiskeysour said:
I'm using my calculus professor to write one of my science LORs. I don't see a problem with it since AADSAS considers math a "science" course, why wouldn't the university?

Be careful...A lot of schools require 2 LOR's, one from a bio and one from a chem. Some schools require a third from a non-science. Others strongly recommend a LOR from a dentist.

whiskeysour said:
some schools will not consider calc a sience...just the BCP classes. I have a great relationship with my calc teach ...i wish i could ask her!