letter of reference from clinical researcher?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pascal1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm a first year medical student thinking of doing a clinical research internship. My favourite residency program would be combined family medicine/internal medicine at the eastern virginia medical school (at least that's what I would choose now). So, I'm wondering if I should try to do the internship with a clinical researcher at the eastern virginia medical school and get a good reference from that researcher as well for residency application. The other option would be to do it at my home university. The advantage I see with the latter is that I could finish the project during term time if I didn't manage to finish it during the summer holidays ... that would make it a bit more likely that I could end up publishing my work? What would you do? Would a reference from a clinical researcher at the med school/hospital I wanna do my residency at be useful?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I'm a first year medical student thinking of doing a clinical research internship. My favourite residency program would be combined family medicine/internal medicine at the eastern virginia medical school (at least that's what I would choose now). So, I'm wondering if I should try to do the internship with a clinical researcher at the eastern virginia medical school and get a good reference from that researcher as well for residency application. The other option would be to do it at my home university. The advantage I see with the latter is that I could finish the project during term time if I didn't manage to finish it during the summer holidays ... that would make it a bit more likely that I could end up publishing my work? What would you do? Would a reference from a clinical researcher at the med school/hospital I wanna do my residency at be useful?

Only if it is an MD or a DO and it can't be a Fellow... it must be an attending.