Letter writer not replying!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omegaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My work supervisor is not replying to my email request for LoR, and it's been a week. We're kind of close and she's really nice to me. Should I send a follow up email or just ask another supervisor because even if she ended up agreeing to write, the letter might not be strong?

Members don't see this ad.

can you call her? she might be too busy to reply to your email/ just havent gotten around to reading yours.

put "urgent:......." in the email's subject line. worked for me

Members don't see this ad :)
My work supervisor is not replying to my email request for LoR, and it's been a week. We're kind of close and she's really nice to me. Should I send a follow up email or just ask another supervisor because even if she ended up agreeing to write, the letter might not be strong?

For future letters, and everyone in the future who is reading this post, you should always ask for the letter in person. Now, you can email asking to set up a time to talk about future plans and stuff like that, but the actual letter request should be face to face. My letter writers took the meeting to ask me more specific questions about my goals and hopes for medical school, and I was able to actively gauge their enthusiasm for writing said letter.

Reactions: 1 users
For future letters, and everyone in the future who is reading this post, you should always ask for the letter in person. Now, you can email asking to set up a time to talk about future plans and stuff like that, but the actual letter request should be face to face. My letter writers took the meeting to ask me more specific questions about my goals and hopes for medical school, and I was able to actively gauge their enthusiasm for writing said letter.
I really wish that I could ask her face to face but she's 2000 miles away from me.

I really wish that I could ask her face to face but she's 2000 miles away from me.

Sorry about that! Took work supervisor to mean direct contact. Is there a number you can call/message to leave? It is just too easy to go a week without responding to an email, even if you really mean to get to it.

Sorry about that! Took work supervisor to mean direct contact. Is there a number you can call/message to leave? It is just too easy to go a week without responding to an email, even if you really mean to get to it.
Yes, I have her number but I'm not sure if I should call her, because what if she's avoiding me on purpose? But then again she could've just replied no if she didn't want to write me one.

Yes, I have her number but I'm not sure if I should call her, because what if she's avoiding me on purpose? But then again she could've just replied no if she didn't want to write me one.

I had a similar situation happen with me. I was getting a LOR from a faculty member that knew me well and could write me a good letter, but he didn't respond to any of my emails over a 4 week period.

Just call her and be very courteous and grateful about it. Ask her how she is doing, then get to the point and ask if she has started on your letter yet, and that it is crucial to the timeliness of your application. Ask her if she can have it done by "x" date, otherwise you might need to ask someone else. Then give it 2-3 days and call back if you don't hear anything.

I had to call my letter writer twice, but I eventually got it. It's well worth it. Don't be shy or think it's the wrong thing to do. Just be very polite and thankful at every step.

Just to be clear, she hasn't replied to one email? That means nothing. People miss emails. People read them and intend to reply later and forget. People can be on vacation and forget to put up an away message. Unless she's been silent to multiple emails, your next step should be to send another email politely asking again and explaining the timeline, followed by a call if she doesn't reply in 24-48 hours.

UPDATE: I wrote a follow up email asking if she's gotten my email requesting the LoR, then BAM! She uploaded the letter to interfolio the next day! What does this mean? Does this mean the recommendation letter she wrote for me is sub-par or something? I have other people as backup writers, should I use this letter? Sorry, I'm just a paranoid premed.

Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE: I wrote a follow up email asking if she's gotten my email requesting the LoR, then BAM! She uploaded the letter to interfolio the next day! What does this mean? Does this mean the recommendation letter she wrote for me is sub-par or something? I have other people as backup writers, should I use this letter? Sorry, I'm just a paranoid premed.

Not necessarily. If you read an LOR, you will realize that they take no time at all to write (even strong ones), especially if the person is experienced at writing them. They are only a page long and follow a general formula

If you're applying this cycle and the person who wrote your letter knows you well, I would go with it. It is already August and if your lettters aren't in yet you won't be complete at alot of schools.