Letters of Rec trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Im in a bit of a tight spot. Im trying to apply FM but the doctor who said he was going to write my FM letter of rec isn't responding to my emails. Which is terrible because my next FM rotation isn't until September 1st. I'm on an OMM rotation now though which is basically just FM w/ a touch of sports med. Is there any way to turn a letter from an OM rotation into a FM letter? FM board certified doctor. I'm terrified that I'm going to have to apply FM w/o a true FM letter if I can't somehow figure this out. .

(IK this situation is mostly my fault. Combo of unlucky rotation order spin with the school, and trying to dual apply to psych....but yeah. here I am in the hot seat...)

Board scores were 220-225 for step 1, 240-250 for step 2 if that helps with navigating the situation...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it matters you got it from an OMM vs FM rotation. Is it from an FM doc? If yes, then it's an FM letter.

I don't think it matters you got it from an OMM vs FM rotation. Is it from an FM doc? If yes, then it's an FM letter.
Nice okay. If I give it to previously MD residencies do you think it'll be a problem if he mentions OM stuff or something ? Nervous...

Nice okay. If I give it to previously MD residencies do you think it'll be a problem if he mentions OM stuff or something ? Nervous...
Just talk to him/her, explain your situation, and tell him/her what you would not want in the letter. I've found my letter writers to be pretty open about these kind of stuff. They usually understand. They've gone through the same process as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user