Letters of Rec.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelly11

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if both letters of rec had to be from science professors? I was originally going to do 2 science professors, and one physician. But one of my psychology professors in undergrad was my mentor, and I was very close to her (had her last year). Does it look bad to have 1 science and 1 non science?

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools will ask for 2 science and 1 non-science professors. Some even ask for four professors. I would suggest obtaining a letter from the two science professors, the psychology one, and anyone else who would be able to recommend you well.

TMDAS asks for 2 professors and a third letter. I'm just worried because I did not know my science professors very well, except the one i'm getting for sure. I took her in a lecture hall, and maybe had a couple of conversations with her. Do med schools look down at lackluster letters from professors that really don't know you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do med schools look down at lackluster letters from professors that really don't know you?
Yes. A good professor won't write you a letter if they don't know you well enough to speak to your abilities.

So then I should just go with 1 science and 1 nonscience? I remember reading a document posted here a year ago that listed what each schools want. Texas schools seem to want 1 science and 1 from any faculty, so hopefully i'm good!

Do you have a PI or employer who can write a 3rd?

I've done 4000 clinical hours of shadowing and volunteering with a specific physician; I was going to have him write the 3rd?

Yes. A good professor won't write you a letter if they don't know you well enough to speak to your abilities.
Does everyone actually have time to become best friends with 4+ professors?

If you're planning to apply to med schools outside of Texas, I'd recommend getting two letters from science professors who have taught you in a class. A few med schools are very specific about this so your Psych LOR may not meet this requirement. You can still include your Psych professor LOR and physician LOR in addition to the two science professor LOR.

With the science professor you may not know very well, you can schedule an appointment with her to discuss your LOR . In that meeting convey your why you want to become a physician and how her letter can help. In general, try to ask science professors that you've interacted with more often so they know you better and will write more about you in the letter than just the grade you got in their class.

With the science professor you may not know very well, you can schedule an appointment with her to discuss your LOR . In that meeting convey your why you want to become a physician and how her letter can help. In general, try to ask science professors that you've interacted with more often so they know you better and will write more about you in the letter than just the grade you got in their class.
It also doesnt hurt to send them your CV and Personal Statement in advance of the meeting so they can learn a bit about your character and motivation.