Letters of recommendation dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htdt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have finished asking for all of my letters of recommendation. I attend a large and reputable public university where all of my classes so far have 300+ students. I am a Chemistry major, and all of my 3 academic LORs are from Chemistry professors. Here they go:

- Professor A: I got straight A from both the lecture and the lab of his upper-level Chemistry course. I went to his office hours a couple times during the semester, and when I asked for a letter he said that he would be happy to write me one. He is a very amiable guy, but I doubt that he knows me well.

- Professor B: I took a lab class with her, got an A. Went to her office hour one time. I asked, she said yes but she also has to consult the TA for the content of the letter since the TA was the one who directly taught me.

- Professor C: I took Ochem 2 with him a year ago and got an A-. I literally went to his office hours every week and I even had lunch with him once. So of course the guy remembered me when I asked for a LOR today. However, he also pointed out that he doesn't know me outside of the classroom; thus he will only be able to write about how good of a student I am in a rather dry letter. I asked him if the letter will be strong, and he assures me that it will be indeed. But again, he said that almost all LORs received by adcoms will be strong. Honestly, I am disappointed. This guy is among the professors who I had a lot of interaction with, and yet even he can't say much about me as a person. What else can I do besides of going to office hours. And if this prof's letter is "dry", I can't imagine how the LORs from the other 2 profs will be since they know me even less. It would be unfair if I can't get strong enough LORs just because I go to big schools. Well, I guess I'm lucky enough that no one turned me down, so at least I have enough LORs to submit to schools. I did not do much research since I know dental schools don't require them, thus I can't get a LOR from a research faculty.

About my other letters:
- Dentist: I have been shadowing this dentist for 30 hours so far. He is a very amiable guy, and I think he likes me. He is very willing to write me a LOR.

- Job supervisor: This person is my best hope for a personal LOR since she knows me well. However, only a few schools that I'm applying to want to look at a supervisor's LOR.

So my 4 LORs that will be included in AADSAS would be the 3 from my profs and from 1 from my dentist. How do you define a "strong" LOR? Given that all my LORs will be strong in a sense that they will only say good things about me, how bad are they if they don't go in depth about me as a person?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
An lor from a prof is intended to highlight your academic capability; not to inform adcoms about how "amiable" you are after sharing a 12 pack of beer with them.

Doc's right. I got a LOR from a professor that I only knew from visiting with him during office hours. Your LOR doesn't need to say that you're a nice person to be around, but that you are focused and determined, academically. The schools will get a sense of your personality from your personal statements/essays and your interview/school visit, if they choose to offer you one.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are fine on your letters man, amazing letters are not going to be the reason you get into dental school IMO as long as other aspects of your application are good like DAT, GPA, interview.

As long as they fit the bill and aren't negative letters, you will be fine on that portion IMO.

An lor from a prof is intended to highlight your academic capability; not to inform adcoms about how "amiable" you are after sharing a 12 pack of beer with them.
This! Therefore, a prof is only qualified to speak about my academic capability, i.e. my performance in his class, right? How on earth can he talk about who I am outside of class, and how is that related to whether I'll be a good dentist? I am under the impression that a great LOR should be from a prof that knows me outside of class, which doesn't make any sense. And I quite positive that in my LOR my prof will say that I'm a hard-working student who has done well in his challenging class.

@Brosephbro: Was your LOR from that prof a good one? Thanks!

P.S: Another question regarding LOR: My non-science prof said that she would be very busy from now until mid-June. Even though I asked her last week, she said that she can only finish the LOR in late June. Her LOR won't be 1 of my 4 letters, but I'll have her send it directly to schools. If I plan to submit my AADSAS application within the first few days of June, would having her LOR that late really affect my chance? Also, should I use Interfolio?

This! Therefore, a prof is only qualified to speak about my academic capability, i.e. my performance in his class, right? How on earth can he talk about who I am outside of class, and how is that related to whether I'll be a good dentist? I am under the impression that a great LOR should be from a prof that knows me outside of class, which doesn't make any sense. And I quite positive that in my LOR my prof will say that I'm a hard-working student who has done well in his challenging class.
It is so hard to see the forest with all those trees in the way.