Letters of Recommendation - Letterhead and Signature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if this is an absolute requirement for all schools or only for some? As I am filling out my secondaries, I am finding this out. Better early than late.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if this is an absolute requirement for all schools or only for some? As I am filling out my secondaries, I am finding this out. Better early than late.

I would take the safe approach and assume it is a requirement for all schools.

Just out of curiosity, was it BU that had you redo the LOR on a letterhead?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your LORs should all be on letterhead. Some schools are rigid about this and it will hold up your app. When I was applying I had to contact a school to see why I wasn't complete. At that point, they informed me one of my LORs was not on letterhead and would need resent on letterhead. This was a letter from a PI whom I worked for. Not sure what happened, I am sure he knew this should be on letterhead... maybe he emailed to an assistant and told them to print it out and mail it? Anyway, an LOR from a professional (and you wouldn't ask for one from a non professional) just should be on letterhead...

Your LORs should all be on letterhead. Some schools are rigid about this and it will hold up your app. When I was applying I had to contact a school to see why I wasn't complete. At that point, they informed me one of my LORs was not on letterhead and would need resent on letterhead. This was a letter from a PI whom I worked for. Not sure what happened, I am sure he knew this should be on letterhead... maybe he emailed to an assistant and told them to print it out and mail it? Anyway, an LOR from a professional (and you wouldn't ask for one from a non professional) just should be on letterhead...

Good thing I caught this early. Some I will be able to convert to letter head and others not. However, I should be able to get by. I just call to double check for the institutions that will need new letters.

PS. The requirement may vary depending on what institution you go to. It is not specified at LECOM.