Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hogfan12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two questions:

1) When asking for a letter of recommendation, should I include all the envelopes addressed to the various locations I want them sent or is it weird that I just ask for the letter itself and make copies and send it to the places I need it to be, to save my letter writer trouble?

2) I have having 2 physicians writing me letters, a family friend who is a pharmacist and was my boss, and my volunteer supervisor for the past year who is a nurse. I currently do not plan on having a professor write me a letter, on account of most of my classes have had 350+ students and I haven't really had much of a reason to talk to my professors and haven't got to know any of them exceptionally well. Will this be a red flag in my app?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have two questions:

1) When asking for a letter of recommendation, should I include all the envelopes addressed to the various locations I want them sent or is it weird that I just ask for the letter itself and make copies and send it to the places I need it to be, to save my letter writer trouble?

2) I have having 2 physicians writing me letters, a family friend who is a pharmacist and was my boss, and my volunteer supervisor for the past year who is a nurse. I currently do not plan on having a professor write me a letter, on account of most of my classes have had 350+ students and I haven't really had much of a reason to talk to my professors and haven't got to know any of them exceptionally well. Will this be a red flag in my app?

Thank you!

1. To maintain confidentiality you should never take possession of the letter. There are instructions on AMCAS. Print out the letter request form and have your writers follow the instructions given.

2. Most medical schools require letters from your science project professors. You can find these requirements on the websites of the schools you are applying to.

Reactions: 1 user
1) They will only need to send the letters to AMCAS (or a service like Interfolio). The AAMC will include the letters with your primary application. More information here. As Leslie_Knope said, you should have your letter writers submit the letters rather than giving you a copy to mail.

2) I can't think of a single school that doesn't require at least one letter from a professor, although you will need to check the website of each school to make sure. Just so you know, in the US the term "physician" refers to MDs or DOs. Nurses and pharmacists could be considered "clinicians." Not a huge deal, just something you don't want to mess up on your applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools require at least one letter from a science professor; most of the ones I am applying to want two.

1. Some schools have a service for collecting letters of recommendation. Mine does not, so I just ask my letter writers to upload them to Interfolio--I will transfer them to AMCAS when it is time for me to apply.

2. You will need at least one letter (probably two) from a science professor. I'm pretty sure this is a requirement at most schools. Even if it isn't, it is considered strange to not have a letter from a professor.

Bump..

I have another question: I am planning on shadowing a DO soon, solely to get a LOR (decided I'm going to apply to a couple of DO schools). Is it considered rude to ask for a LOR after shadowing for one day? Or should I try and shadow him for a couple weeks and then ask him?

Thank you!

I'm tagging onto this. Question: What qualifies as a science professor? I am asking a professor whom I had for a neuroscience course as well as a psychology course (I'm a Neuro major). Both of these lie in the College of Science for my university. Does this professor qualify as a science professor? I am also planning to ask my TA from physics. Thanks! (My PI is a science professor too, but I've only done research under her. Would this work if the neuro/psych professor doesn't?)

Bump..

I have another question: I am planning on shadowing a DO soon, solely to get a LOR (decided I'm going to apply to a couple of DO schools). Is it considered rude to ask for a LOR after shadowing for one day? Or should I try and shadow him for a couple weeks and then ask him?

Thank you!

It's not rude either way.

The difference is one will be as good as a letter can be with one days experience and the other will be as good as a letter can be with more experience.