Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigantron

Robot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When it comes to sending letters, do we have to use a letter sending service like Interfolio or Virtual Evals, or can we just have our letter writers mail them directly to the schools themselves? My university currently does a committee letter/package and I have a DPM who has agreed to write me a letter as well. Would this be a problem if they didn't come from a letter sending service like Interfolio or Virtual Evals?

Members don't see this ad.

All my LORs were mailed. If you go to each school's website, they should say how they like to receive letters.

All of my LORs were also mailed the old fashioned way and it worked out just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
All my LORs were mailed. If you go to each school's website, they should say how they like to receive letters.
How they "like", as in how they "prefer" to receive letters, or ways that they can receive letters?

I believe how they "can" receive letters. I believe all schools "can" receive letters via mail, but just double check that. I'm pretty sure it says what methods each school uses on the application if I'm remembering correctly.

The problems with doing that are the letter writers have to send them out to each individual school, letters can be lost, if you need them again it's a pain to ask the writers. Interfolio does charge a bit for signing up but it makes the process a bit easier.

The problems with doing that are the letter writers have to send them out to each individual school, letters can be lost, if you need them again it's a pain to ask the writers. Interfolio does charge a bit for signing up but it makes the process a bit easier.
I'm only applying to two schools, and I don't think asking these particular letter writers will be such a pain thankfully.