Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marysaurus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 1st year graduate student right now, and just joined a research lab. I would like to submit my AMCAS application in early June, but am worried about letters of recommendation.

I have 3 or 4 good references from my undergrad institution, but since this is my first year here and I have just barely started in my lab, I don't think I'd have a strong letter from grad school yet. So, which would be looked more favorably upon?

1. Submit application early and have undergrad letters submitted right away, and then have my major professor write me a letter in September after I've been doing research full-time for a summer.

2. Wait on submitting my application, because I should have a grad school letter and don't want to get secondaries sent out before I know I'll have one.

Would it be possible to have the minimum # of letters sent ASAP as to complete my application and let the universities know that another is pending?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would submit your application ASAP...if you've only been there a short while then don't need a LOR now from your PI, which as you said wouldn't be very good. I was a research tech when I applied, and I had just started a new job...I waited a few months to submit a LOR from my new boss (who was an MD) and I think I already had gotten interviews @that time.