Letters of reference for externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CloudlessNights

Tufts c/o 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I had a quick questions about letters of reference for 3rd/4th year externships. Obviously I only just finished my first year a few months ago, but I was curious about several zoo externships that say the earlier the better on externship applications.

I would plan on getting these out near the end of my second year. When they ask for letters of reference, do they have to be from professors/clinicians at school? I've worked as a tech for one doctor at a clinic for my house for several years, and I feel like she knows me better than I know myself sometimes. I plan to work with her next year as well. If they should be from clinicians or professors at school, that's fine, though. I just wasn't clear on typical protocol.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't use a private practice vet unless you really get stuck. Since you're applying as a student of Tufts, you should be able to have someone from that school who can vouch for you.