Letters question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DS Bach

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In filling out mstp applications, I'm finding that a lot of schools seem to require several (2-3) letters of recommendations from faculty who you had done research with and can attest to your potential as a researcher. I've only worked for 1 lab throughout undergrad and the PI has already written her letter but I don't have anyone else in the lab to obtain a letter from (all of the post-docs have left). Although I've told the professors who wrote my other letters that I am applying md/phd, I'm not sure that these will count.
Any advice on what to do would be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You can also talk to your PI about having a collaborator write a letter if you are working on a project with another lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately my project isn't in collaboration with another group, but thank you for the advice.

Programs will typically make an exception for you. Occasionally what people will do is find a post-doc or instructor to also write them a letter. It doesn't hold much weight but it can help clear this hurdle.

thanks for the input, I'll try to explain my situation in secondaries, would schools screen me out if I don't meet the letter requirement?

You should email the program coordinator once you think your file is complete. Your application may not be reviewed until they think the application is complete, which may leave it an incomplete status until the application deadline is passed. The coordinator can fix this, assuming they're willing to accept just the one research letter in these cases (which I assume is all/most programs, but I really don't know).

In fact, maybe you should just email all the coordinators now to make sure it's ok that you're applying with just one letter. I know people who have applied with just one research letter, but I don't know if it's ever been a problem for specific programs.

I had a professor who sat on my honors thesis committee write me a letter and every program I applied to (including the one I eventually wound up at) accepted it for this purpose.