Letters wont be ready until August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicianScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spoke with my school's pre-med committee today and they told me that they won't forward letters to AMCAS until mid August. Is this considered late? I was planning on submitting my application in June but am worried that having to wait until August will hurt me. I am applying to MD/PhD if this makes a difference. Any advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It's later, not necessarily late. But you really can't do anything. Just make sure everything is complete asap in mid august. gdluck.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are they forwarding letters only in August? That puts their applicants at a great disadvantage. Many schools begin reviewing applications as soon as they come in, so submitting in June or July at the latest is usually the best to optimize your chances. Are they doing that as a rule or because of some special circumstance?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's pretty awful of them.

Same story for me... It seems horrendous. I wonder if I'd be better off submitting without the committee letter, but I assume that would be a red flag. But people from my program seem to do just fine getting into good schools so I dunno.

Why are they forwarding letters only in August? That puts their applicants at a great disadvantage. Many schools begin reviewing applications as soon as they come in, so submitting in June or July at the latest is usually the best to optimize your chances. Are they doing that as a rule or because of some special circumstance?

I have no idea why.. when I asked why it was so late the adviser just said that schools know the process..

Same story for me... It seems horrendous. I wonder if I'd be better off submitting without the committee letter, but I assume that would be a red flag. But people from my program seem to do just fine getting into good schools so I dunno.

I also heard submitting without a committee letter is a red flag. It seems like we are basically stuck with them :(. If only they could send it a bit earlier >.>

I was in the same situation last year as OP. My univ did an early pmac session in the spring, then the main group of students had interviews with the committee starting in Sept, so my pmac letter did not get sent out until mid Sept and some letters did not get sent until Oct.
I also was MD/PhD. I was complete except for the pmac letter by Aug 1. I think being complete in mid Sept did hurt my chances at some schools, but I applied to 25 schools and got 14 II, went to 10, was accepted at 3. So OP you will be a month earlier than I was, just apply broadly.

I spoke with my school's pre-med committee today and they told me that they won't forward letters to AMCAS until mid August. Is this considered late? I was planning on submitting my application in June but am worried that having to wait until August will hurt me. I am applying to MD/PhD if this makes a difference. Any advice appreciated!

My understanding is that LORs are considered part of the secondary app. So in theory this should not affect your ability to get a secondary request. Of course some schools send secondaries in late June so that still puts you behind the 8 ball. For those schools I might consider informing the school that your committee letter is forthcoming in August and that you do not have control over the timing.