Letting patients read their own progress notes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
our patients are offered a "clinical summary", includes the A&P of the note but leaves out exam and HPI. I can still hide stuff that I want only other physicians to see which is nice. Forces me to get the note done while they're in the office or we mail them a copy.

Have only had a couple patients ask to have something changed. Overall doesn't affect me much.

I always document in a way I wouldn't mind the chart being read by the patient, a judge, jury, attorney, etc

Why? Because it might.

That doesn't mean I candy coat the chart, make it politically correct or leave out signs of aberrant behavior. But I keep to just the facts.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
notes are written to appease billers, insurers, audits, and lawyers. patients will never understand this

Reactions: 1 user
I rotated with a pmr physician who would always say "I am going to say this and this in my note. Does that seem right?" I always thought that was brilliant.

Isn't it a meaningful use requirement to allow pts full access to the notes? At the VA, for the past year, pts have full access to their notes electronically.