Level of (Clinical & Research) Exp PSYD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrjbb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched this subject on the forum, and didn't come up with a great deal of information, at least anything recent.

I'm planning to apply to PSYD programs this cycle. My only clinical experience comes down to about 1 year in the Emergency/Behavioral Health Dept of a Hospital where I volunteered at. I also volunteered at my church for 3 summers mentoring some of the youth group that were having problems in their household.

This was over 4 years ago and I don't think I'm able to get an LOR anymore because the program director isn't there any longer.

I do not have any research experience at all, and I'm about to graduate in Spring '15. One of the things that I had planned to do was become a mentor to distressed high school students, the program requires a full year's commitment. I've also lined up an observership with a local Psychologist.

My questions:

#1 Is the above enough experience clinically if I'm applying broadly, or should I try to gain more experience?

#2 Would becoming a mentor help my application at all? (I wouldn't become a mentor soley to beef up my application, but I'd like to know if it would help it as well)

I believe the only way I can gain any research experience at this point, is if I start a Masters program, however, from what I gather, most of the Psyd programs I've looked into do not require a great deal of research experience either.

I'll have a 3.5 gpa after this semester. I plan on graduating with a 3.7. I Haven't take the GRE yet, but I will in the next 2 months.

p.s. sorry for the long post.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you set up an opportunity to observe with a psychologist? I have tried this before but was told that privacy laws prevent me from being able to do so, in addition to making the clients uncomfortable and less likely to share with the psychologist.

I also do not have any research experience, as I completed my bachelors online. I'd be interested to know how your apps worked out, as I apply in December.

I will be attending a psyD program starting in the fall so hopefully I can help a little. Clinical experience is important because it shows some dedication and I did get asked a question here or there about it during interviews. However, I got asked much much more about my research experience. Most of them know that any clinical experience undergrads have is very hands off. Plus, most psyd programs still make you complete a dissertation. So I would focus on getting some research experience because it will help you hugely in getting in!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending a psyD program starting in the fall so hopefully I can help a little. Clinical experience is important because it shows some dedication and I did get asked a question here or there about it during interviews. However, I got asked much much more about my research experience. Most of them know that any clinical experience undergrads have is very hands off. Plus, most psyd programs still make you complete a dissertation. So I would focus on getting some research experience because it will help you hugely in getting in!

Thank you for the reply. I'm actually surprised that they put so much emphasis on research in the PsyD programs, because in the research I've done it seemed as though it wasn't really necessary since it's clinical based, rather than research based. Some universities specifically mention on their sites that they prefer clinical over research experience. Good to know, though! May I ask what schools you applied to?

Also, does anyone have any idea how to get research experience after undergrad? I'm no longer a student, so it's been a challenge for me to find something research oriented, and have therefore been focusing on volunteer and work that focuses on more of a clinical basis. I did email a professor with a research lab today about potentially finding an opportunity with her..is this the only way to get these types of positions?

Thank you for the reply. I'm actually surprised that they put so much emphasis on research in the PsyD programs, because in the research I've done it seemed as though it wasn't really necessary since it's clinical based, rather than research based. Some universities specifically mention on their sites that they prefer clinical over research experience. Good to know, though! May I ask what schools you applied to?

Also, does anyone have any idea how to get research experience after undergrad? I'm no longer a student, so it's been a challenge for me to find something research oriented, and have therefore been focusing on volunteer and work that focuses on more of a clinical basis. I did email a professor with a research lab today about potentially finding an opportunity with her..is this the only way to get these types of positions?

This can be a common misconception, particularly when looking at Psy.D. programs. The daily practice of clinical psychology, regardless of setting, is (and appropriately should be) heavily-based in a solid understanding and application of research, which is had both by formal coursework and conducting some type of research yourself. Thus, any grad program worth its salt (even those aiming to train clinicians, which is actually what the majority of Ph.D. graduates also go on to become) is going to include research training and provide opportunities to conduct (or at least direct participate in the conduction of) original research.

Think of it this way--applied psychology is a continually-evolving field, and being able to stay abreast of the latest findings and practices is crucial. Doing this requires a solid understand of research methodology, as unfortunately, just because something's published doesn't mean the findings are highly valid or relevant/applicable. And once you're an independent practitioner, there won't be anyone around to tell you what or what not to do, or which recent findings may or may not be particularly legitimate.

And finally, a potential added benefit is that professionally, if you work in a multi-disciplinary setting, it may often be the case that non-psychologist co-workers will approach you assuming you know a little bit about research. If you're able to scientifically "hold your own,", this can lead to all sorts of collaborative opportunities. Or, if nothing else, it may result in your co-workers valuing you to an even greater degree.

Last edited:

I interviewed at U. Of indianapolis, roosevelt (Chicago), xavier (Cincinnati ohio), and marshall (West Virginia). I would also take a look at the "competencies" section that schools typically list because PsyD programs typically have "research" or some variation of that. There is definitely much less research in a psyD than PhD but admissions will want you to know how to conduct and be a part of research. Part of that is there are skills learned from research that can be applied to more areas of psychology than just actually doing research. And again, you will probably have to do a dissertation and will be encouraged to join a lab to work in so they want you to have experience in that prior to joining the program.

Also, if you were a psych major in undergrad than I would suggest contacting someone from that psych department because typically someone there can help you (especially if you know that professor). The chair of our psych department is pretty consistently sending out job postings for post bacc RA jobs and such.

Hope this helps!

I interviewed at an MS and a PsyD program, and neither asked about my research experience. Maybe because it was already listed in my letters and CV, I don't know, but they were more interested in my clinical experience for the PsyD and in my personality working with others for the MS.

I had several years of research experience in undergrad, a year of clinical research, and two years of clinical experience before grad school. I recall a few questions about research in my interviews.

P.s. Sdn loves to screw around with the PsyD capitalizations. My screename used to be all lowercase, but sdn made it all uppercase one day.

This can be a common misconception, particularly when looking at Psy.D. programs. The daily practice of clinical psychology, regardless of setting, is (and appropriately should be) heavily-based in a solid understanding and application of research, which is had both by formal coursework and conducting some type of research yourself. Thus, any grad program worth its salt (even those aiming to train clinicians, which is actually what the majority of Ph.D. graduates also go on to become) is going to include research training and provide opportunities to conduct (or at least direct participate in the conduction of) original research.

Think of it this way--applied psychology is a continually-evolving field, and being able to stay abreast of the latest findings and practices is crucial. Doing this requires a solid understand of research methodology, as unfortunately, just because something's published doesn't mean the findings are highly valid or relevant/applicable. And once you're an independent practitioner, there won't be anyone around to tell you what or what not to do, or which recent findings may or may not be particularly legitimate.

And finally, a potential added benefit is that professionally, if you work in a multi-disciplinary setting, it may often be the case that non-psychologist co-workers will approach you assuming you know a little bit about research. If you're able to scientifically "hold your own,", this can lead to all sorts of collaborative opportunities. Or, if nothing else, it may result in your co-workers valuing you to an even greater degree.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you! Given that I currently have no research experience, and plan to apply in December, would it be enough if I get some in before I apply and continue it until I start a program (assuming I get accepted somewhere)? Or would it be more beneficial to take the extra time and money to invest in getting a masters in experimental psychology and then applying to PsyD or at that point, PhD's as well?

I interviewed at U. Of indianapolis, roosevelt (Chicago), xavier (Cincinnati ohio), and marshall (West Virginia). I would also take a look at the "competencies" section that schools typically list because PsyD programs typically have "research" or some variation of that. There is definitely much less research in a psyD than PhD but admissions will want you to know how to conduct and be a part of research. Part of that is there are skills learned from research that can be applied to more areas of psychology than just actually doing research. And again, you will probably have to do a dissertation and will be encouraged to join a lab to work in so they want you to have experience in that prior to joining the program.

Also, if you were a psych major in undergrad than I would suggest contacting someone from that psych department because typically someone there can help you (especially if you know that professor). The chair of our psych department is pretty consistently sending out job postings for post bacc RA jobs and such.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing, I will work on finding research somewhere. I can't use my psych professors from undergrad because I completed it online..which I thought was a benefit because I could still work full-time and I learn really well in that format, but I lost a lot of the opportunities I would have had on a traditional campus, such as lab experience, professor relationships, and clinical volunteer opportunities. Now I feel like I'm playing catch up post grad, which is much more difficult.

If the fit is there apply to both. In the meantime, I think it would be wise to at a minimum present a poster of some sort. As Wis stated it is a common misconception that PsyD programs are bereft of any appreciation for research.

I come from a university-based Psy.D and it seems that most everyone had pretty extensive research experience (e.g., worked in labs, honors thesis, posters, etc) before applying. We also have multiple labs throughout the program and complete an empirical dissertation. However, when it comes to research requirements there is FAR MORE variability in Psy.D programs so YMMV.

While gathering more mentoring experience would be nice, gaining research experience would be looked upon very favorably I'd imagine.

Also, if you get some solid research experience and your other stats are good (GPA and GRE) you could add some applications to fully-funded PhD programs which are generally going to be advantageous for a variety of reasons. I went to a PsyD program and am glad that I received excellent clinical training but I have two regrets. First, I would like to have had more research experience. Second, I wish I didn't have the student loan debt!

Also, if you get some solid research experience and your other stats are good (GPA and GRE) you could add some applications to fully-funded PhD programs which are generally going to be advantageous for a variety of reasons. I went to a PsyD program and am glad that I received excellent clinical training but I have two regrets. First, I would like to have had more research experience. Second, I wish I didn't have the student loan debt!

Yes, this is something I am considering as well. There are only a couple well funded PsyD programs and I believe Baylor is the only fully funded. So, adding PhD apps would give me more selection without adding $100k+ debt.

If I do an independent research project (both of my bosses are doctors who I think would be willing to help me with the process) would this count as legit research experience, or does it need to be in a lab with a professor? Also, if this is an option, could I then use my boss as an LOR?

Yes, they are competent in research. I would assume they have access to an IRB as I have seen their research projects around the house. Assuming they do, my question is whether this counts and would help my chances of being accepted? I am working on getting into a lab, but I'm also trying to think outside the box.

If you don't have anything helpful to add, just don't reply. Please.

Last edited:
There are only a couple well funded PsyD programs and I believe Baylor is the only fully funded

James Madison School-Clinical combined PsyD is APA accredited and fully funded. Or at least it was during the past application cycle.

Doing an independent research project in psychology can be ethically problematic, especially when it involves human subjects. That is the reason for the questions about an independent review board. Even when students use archival data there is a review process by the institution under which they operate. These processes are in place to protect the public from some of the unethical practices in the past such as experimenting with using insulin induced seizures on asylum patients which was discontinued in favor of electroshock because of the high fatality rate.

Doing an independent research project in psychology can be ethically problematic, especially when it involves human subjects. That is the reason for the questions about an independent review board. Even when students use archival data there is a review process by the institution under which they operate. These processes are in place to protect the public from some of the unethical practices in the past such as experimenting with using insulin induced seizures on asylum patients which was discontinued in favor of electroshock because of the high fatality rate.

Thank you for the explanation. I do remember reading about the ethical issues now, and it makes sense.