LF tips on how well I should be scoring on practice tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rackham

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just looking for tips on how well I should be doing on my chapter tests in my kaplan review books. I work full time and can only study in the nights so I've been slowly working through them (averaging 0.75 chapters a day) (trying to take the test late Jan 2017). I'm honestly shooting for a 500 for my first time with the test.

The chapter tests have been kicking my ass, usually only getting 9/15, and I'm at about the same % when I do the focused passage based sections on the kaplan website. The passages also only seem to guide you down a thought path (for the biology section at least) not actually help you answer the questions, is that what its supposed to be doing? or am I not using the correct strategy?

Also, should I even be bothering with the Kaplan study books? I know I'll only even be able to finish a few more of them before I plan on diving into the practice tests in my last month. I've been out of school for over a year now so I'm definitely a little rusty on some of the subjects.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about the discretes at the end of each chapter. Do them for practice if you want, but disregard the scores- just learn from them. The free stuff on the website is useful if you have time too since it's passage based. The passages won't lead you directly to the answers though, as you are seeing.

If you want to test in Jan 2017, I would aim to be done with content review by Nov 1. You want time to work through all of the AAMC stuff and do practice tests. The books can be helpful but don't let them scare you. They contain a bunch of extra details so focus on the main concepts, systems, equations, and how they are related.

Reactions: 1 user