LGBT student in a conservative state DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
really? I'm all about shorts & tank tops, especially if I'm dancing.

Lol, oh no, I'm a layer type of guy. I love the long coat, dark pants, boots, and thick sweaters lol. But I do LOVE summer and the warm weather every once in a while. Mind you this is coming from someone who grew up in the Southeast Asian jungles, haha. Sorry for derailing the thread, folks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I spoke with a student at ACOM and she said that the school itself is very accepting, but the area is conservative.

A few deans in the semi-rural South are openly gay. It's no big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
really? I'm all about shorts & tank tops, especially if I'm dancing.

Im a north east boy too, and one of the reasons why i decided LECOM-B was location, and weather, i hate winter and the cold, and am looking forward to wear shorts all year long lol!

Come to TUNCOM, it's a very accepting school environment, plus we have students actively running a LGBT club on campus! Plus we're in the very livable part of the Las Vegas area!

Im a north east boy too, and one of the reasons why i decided LECOM-B was location, and weather, i hate winter and the cold, and am looking forward to wear shorts all year long lol!

I'm probably going to apply there. Do you like it? I'm from the snowy NE too.

I am GLBT (not all of them, i'll let you guess), and attend ACOM. No one cares. And the people that do, I don't care about. The people who are out bring their partners and such to events, and no one bats an eye. Also, there isn't a gigantic gay scene in South Alabama, but it's way bigger than I imagined for sure.

I am GLBT (not all of them, i'll let you guess), and attend ACOM. No one cares. And the people that do, I don't care about. The people who are out bring their partners and such to events, and no one bats an eye. Also, there isn't a gigantic gay scene in South Alabama, but it's way bigger than I imagined for sure.

DO you have many that identify as LGBTQ in ACOM right now? Is there some sort of club or group etc?

DO you have many that identify as LGBTQ in ACOM right now? Is there some sort of club or group etc?

There is a minority group on campus, but there is not a focus in LGBTQ. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be supported, but it's just not anything I actively have looked into. We have about five people (that I know of) who are out in some way or another (gay, lesbian, bi). I know there's a bit more, but maybe not out.

There is a minority group on campus, but there is not a focus in LGBTQ. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be supported, but it's just not anything I actively have looked into. We have about five people (that I know of) who are out in some way or another (gay, lesbian, bi). I know there's a bit more, but maybe not out.

Good to hear, thanks! I am definitely looking forward to apply to ACOM.

I don't have much to add, other than it's also something I've also been concerned about (though the Virginia campus). So you're not alone! My SO has stated that she would like to move with me wherever I go, since she has the capability of working remotely. At the end of the day it's 4 years, hopefully with some forays into perhaps more LGBT friendly areas for away rotations.

Hi, I was wondering if any students have any experiences or stories of LGBT students attending a DO school in a very conservative state. I don't actively display my sexual orientation wherever I go, but I'm hoping that I can at least be comfortable talking about certain topics with friends without feeling repercussions/judgement. I know most of the students at this school will mostly be coming from other conservative states and would like to give them the benefit of the doubt that not everyone is homophobic. This school does have an anti-discrimination policy for sexual orientation. Am I just worrying myself over nothing?

There are a few classmates of mine who are LGBT and I go to school in one of the more conservative states, quite a few of the students in my class I would say are on the conservative end of the political spectrum, that being said most of the LGBT students report mixed reactions to their sexuality.

If this is a big concern, it would probably be in your best interests to go to a school located in a large city. Also apply to schools that do not have any kind of religious affiliation, public schools are preferable.

I'm a conservative Christian, accepted to LUCOM, and can say that I could not care less about what your sexual orientation. Although I do not prefer that lifestyle, I accept that I live in a pluralistic society with many walks of life independent from mine and I respect the decisions of others. Sorry to hear that you're nervous about a conservative region. I hope my opinion helps, in whatever way, calm your concerns about the move.

Reactions: 2 users
My best advice would be to apply to public schools and to avoid schools that have religious affiliations. It is also best to go to schools in or near large cities.

Being gay myself, I got accepted to CUSOM, and ACOM, and while great schools, I thought it would be rather difficult attending a school in the south. I chose LECOM-B because Florida IMO is more accepting and diverse than NC and Alabama. It was only a small factor, but I would like to feel comfortable where I attend

Hey I decided to read this thread because you wrote 'conservative state', I'm going to VCOM-CC and can tell you I am from Florida, and I think many incoming students are as well. I am straight, but I will tell you I would never judge you and it seems like the incoming class is very open-minded and welcome. I don't think you'll have any problems. Also, it's the 21st century so don't worry about what others might think. Looking forward to attending VCOM with you! @BobTheBuilder34

I'm a conservative Christian, accepted to LUCOM, and can say that I could not care less about what your sexual orientation. Although I do not prefer that lifestyle, I accept that I live in a pluralistic society with many walks of life independent from mine and I respect the decisions of others. Sorry to hear that you're nervous about a conservative region. I hope my opinion helps, in whatever way, calm your concerns about the move.

That whole "I don't care, but I actually do care" attitude is something I sincerely recommend you lose if you want to be an ethical and sincere physician ( Or generally well adjusted).

Reactions: 1 users
That whole "I don't care, but I actually do care" attitude is something I sincerely recommend you lose if you want to be an ethical and sincere physician ( Or generally well adjusted).
I respectfully disagree.

I respectfully disagree.

That's fine. You'll find sometime in your experience someone will drill into your head that you need to respect your patients autonomy and treat them as a full package, not pretend that them being gay is a modifiable aspect of them or one that you should disrespect. Simply put your approach of I don't care, but I actually find you disagreeable is just childish and the fact that you pretend it isn't will get a few doctors to chew you up one day.

That's fine. You'll find sometime in your experience someone will drill into your head that you need to respect your patients autonomy and treat them as a full package, not pretend that them being gay is a modifiable aspect of them or one that you should disrespect. Simply put your approach of I don't care, but I actually find you disagreeable is just childish and the fact that you pretend it isn't will get a few doctors to chew you up one day.

I treat people based upon the fact that they're people not based on what sexual orientation they are. I don't see anything wrong with that.