Liberty Online PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikey Mikey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

Thoughts on Liberty University's Online PhD Programs in Psychology? I would like to pursue this degree for my own benefit but I wonder if anyone has any experience with these programs???

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, just no. If you want to study for your own benefit, a library card is much cheaper.

Reactions: 5 users
Thoughts on Liberty University's Online PhD Programs in Psychology? I would like to pursue this degree for my own benefit but I wonder if anyone has any experience with these programs???
What are you hoping to do with a Ph.D. in psychology?

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't even suggest going there for an undergrad degree in psych, let alone graduate training.

Reactions: 3 users
Can I ask why?
The online nature, the vague nature ("psychology" is an extremely broad field), the... morally questionable university, the lack of licensure eligibility, etc. If you really want a PhD to make you a better clinician, get a reputable, funded, APA-accredited one from a brick and mortar program.

Reactions: 2 users
To improve my own knowledge of psychology to benefit my current occupation (working in mental health).
Getting an online Ph.D. is a very expensive way to improve your own knowledge. Looking at their website, it looks like the program is estimated to cost around $40,000. You mentioned benefiting your current occupation; how are you expecting the Ph.D. to do that?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Or just click the link below. Feel free to venmo me the difference in price between a Liberty PhD and Beck courses.

Beck Institute

If you are aren't interested in that, I'll give you readings, slides, and a 3 virtual Q&A sessions for $40k. Mostly to take money out of @WisNeuro's pocket.

Bonus: I'll keep my pants zipped for all pictures.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Or just click the link below. Feel free to venmo me the difference in price between a Liberty PhD and Beck courses.

Beck Institute

If you are aren't interested in that, I'll give you readings, slides, and a 3 virtual Q&A sessions for $40k. Mostly to take money out of @WisNeuro's pocket.

Bonus: I'll keep my pants zipped for all pictures.
I don't appreciate either of you low balling my low balling.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
35k, and for an extra 5 k, I will not keep my pants zipped for pictures. And for an extra $5k I will make sure to quote some hypocritical bible verses after the fact.

I see someone goes to same yacht parties as Jerry Falwell, Jr! :rofl:

To improve my own knowledge of psychology to benefit my current occupation (working in mental health).

read books, articles. Go to CE trainings

Also, Liberty U=Protestant whiny nonsense

Last edited:
Greetings,

If this is just for your own benefit, I’d suggest attending workshops/certifications for deeper training in an approach or even taking a few undergrad classes if you didn’t take some of the elective psych classes the first time around. Or auditing a course you’re interested in.

Online doctorates are not viewed favorably by anyone in our field for several reasons: they are predatory and expensive, they don’t typically lead to licensure, they don’t include any training in practice, they don’t include mentoring by faculty, and almost anyone can get admitted to them. They are the lowest standard of a doctorate you will ever see in our field. I try to steer folks as far away as I can for their own sakes, although certainly some folks choose not to take the advice of professionals in our field. But we do try to steer folks far away from these types of programs.

Just for grins, I checked out the program website. For the “general track,” an identified learning outcome is “learn effective clinical techniques.” So… learn about them without being able to practice them? Gonna need someone to explain that to me.

Just for grins, I checked out the program website. For the “general track,” an identified learning outcome is “learn effective clinical techniques.” So… learn about them without being able to practice them? Gonna need someone to explain that to me.
The main technique you learn is how to give the university your money, of course!

For anyone reading this thread thinking that the mocking tone is a display of snobbery, a word of unsolicited advice: this is how you would be seen by employers if you tried to apply for jobs with a degree from this or similar programs.

Don't do it.

Reactions: 11 users
For anyone reading this thread thinking that the mocking tone is a display of snobbery, a word of unsolicited advice: this is how you would be seen by employers if you tried to apply for jobs with a degree from this or similar programs.

Don't do it.

It is an odd world when people who are products of the public education system are considered snobs for not taking out massive loans to attend a private school owned by a rich dude who was handed the business by his daddy and had to take a leave of absence from his position with a $10.5 million severance package because he embarrassed himself at a yacht party.

Reactions: 6 users
It is an odd world when people who are products of the public education system are considered snobs for not taking out massive loans to attend a private school owned by a rich dude who was handed the business by his daddy and had to take a leave of absence with a $10.5 million severance package because he embarrassed himself at a yacht party.

Proles rise up!

Liberty also just has a bad reputation in general, and I think you'd get stigma no matter which program you attended unless you stick to really conservative areas. But, even then you might run into issues because--from my experience--our field is pretty liberal.

Liberty also just has a bad reputation in general, and I think you'd get stigma no matter which program you attended unless you stick to really conservative areas. But, even then you might run into issues because--from my experience--our field is pretty liberal.
This is what happened with their law school. It's a tier 4, which is on the level of diploma mills like Argosy, but the Bush Administration filled the DOJ with Liberty grads, because they were ideologically reliable.

Or the OP can just join Division 36, where most of the leadership actively tries to argue for conversation therapy and against LGBTQ+ anti-discrimination policies...

• Sad
  • Angry
Or the OP can just join Division 36, where most of the leadership actively tries to argue for conversation therapy and against LGBTQ+ anti-discrimination policies...

Hey now. Don't you infringe upon the right of religious people to openly discriminate based on their shoehorned interpretations of scripture.