Licensing and DEA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ActionFigure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you only practice medicine in one state at a time? If you have a DEA number, and you obtain a medical license in another state and switch your DEA registration address to that state, can you still practice medicine in the original state?
You need a license per state you practice in, but does it matter which state medical license your DEA is associated it? Because right now after going through this process, my understanding is your DEA is paired with one state license only.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a good question for me too, because I'm pursuing multiple state licenses right now. As far as I know, there's nothing preventing you from having multiple simultaneous active licenses. But, I thought you only needed to register your DEA once. Some states have a separate scheduled drug registration (which of course, would be state-specific). If I find out anything, I'll let you know, but I'm sure some of the regulars know this already.

I have 5 active state licenses currently. Everytime I do a job in another state I go online and update the new practice address with the DEA. You have to do this with every change. However, if you constantly go back and forth between 2 states (like you live on the border of cali and Nevada) it may be more convenient to apply for 2 separate DEA numbers to make life easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thanks this answers my question.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

In addition to above comments yes you need a separate dea and state license for each state you practice in. You also need to make sure that your dea number is registered for all scheduled drugs. CII narcotics and CII non narcotics 3 narcotics and 3 non narcotics and so in and so fourth. For example some prescribers for whatever reason think Adderall is a CII Narcotic. They try to prescribe and their dea gets rejected because Adderall is a CII non Narcotic and they did not register their dea number for CII non narcotics.

In addition to above comments yes you need a separate dea and state license for each state you practice in. You also need to make sure that your dea number is registered for all scheduled drugs. CII narcotics and CII non narcotics 3 narcotics and 3 non narcotics and so in and so fourth. For example some prescribers for whatever reason think Adderall is a CII Narcotic. They try to prescribe and their dea gets rejected because Adderall is a CII non Narcotic and they did not register their dea number for CII non narcotics.

You do not need a separate DEA. You just need to go on the DEA website every time you change your location and update your address. I work in 5 states and I only have ONE DEA license/number.

Reactions: 1 user
You do not need a separate DEA. You just need to go on the DEA website every time you change your location and update your address. I work in 5 states and I only have ONE DEA license/number.
Yes let me restate that. You only need one dea number as long as you only have one practice location in one state. If you relocate you only need to update. If you have 5 separate practices in five different states you need a dea number for each state you have a location in.