Licensing Timeline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesails

Tufts c/o 2018!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is related to my status as a non-US citizen attending veterinary school in the US, but I was wondering if someone could outline a timeline of senior year vet school in terms of taking the NAVLE, taking state license exams (if applicable), hearing back about your NAVLE / about whether you're licensed. Do all the graduates of a school take the exams for the state where their veterinary school is, or do they just take the NAVLE + whatever state they plan to practice in? If you took the NAVLE in Nov/Dec, when would you hear back? Do you need to hear back before applying to get licensed in a specific state? And how long would that then take?

Sorry this is so detailed a question but again it has to do with work authorization after vet school. Just something I'm thinking about because I'm applying for work authorization the summer between undergrad and vet school.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly....no one can answer this unless you say what state you want to go to. It legit differs for every single state. If you have no idea what state, apply to sit the NAVLE for the cheapest one.

If you take the NAVLE in Nov/Dec....you will hear end Jan/beg Feb ish....maybe. Every state notifies you in a different way.
Some states go though the NBVME, and you only pay $50 and find out on the portal. Other, you have to go through a whole process with the app.

As for state licenses....well....that is a cluster...and I am currently trying to get one for the state I will be working in....
I took my NAVLE for MD, but will skip taking their license exam for now, and transfer my score to another state, along with applying for their license, and taking their exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly....no one can answer this unless you say what state you want to go to. It legit differs for every single state. If you have no idea what state, apply to sit the NAVLE for the cheapest one.

If you take the NAVLE in Nov/Dec....you will hear end Jan/beg Feb ish....maybe. Every state notifies you in a different way.
Some states go though the NBVME, and you only pay $50 and find out on the portal. Other, you have to go through a whole process with the app.

As for state licenses....well....that is a cluster...and I am currently trying to get one for the state I will be working in....
I took my NAVLE for MD, but will skip taking their license exam for now, and transfer my score to another state, along with applying for their license, and taking their exam.

Is MD a cluster specifically? :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

This is related to my status as a non-US citizen attending veterinary school in the US, but I was wondering if someone could outline a timeline of senior year vet school in terms of taking the NAVLE, taking state license exams (if applicable), hearing back about your NAVLE / about whether you're licensed. Do all the graduates of a school take the exams for the state where their veterinary school is, or do they just take the NAVLE + whatever state they plan to practice in? If you took the NAVLE in Nov/Dec, when would you hear back? Do you need to hear back before applying to get licensed in a specific state? And how long would that then take?

Sorry this is so detailed a question but again it has to do with work authorization after vet school. Just something I'm thinking about because I'm applying for work authorization the summer between undergrad and vet school.

Thank you!
what SnS said. Yes, you need to hear back