Licensure in two states simultaneously

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fallen625

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pursuing licensure in one state (NY), and considering pursuing licensure in another state (CT). Does anyone have experience pursuing licensure simultaneously in two states? Do you just apply for the two states separately? How does that work with the EPPP? I need the NY licensure for my primary job (academic), but also considering the CT licensure since that is where I would like to do a little bit of private practice work.

Members don't see this ad.

I am pursuing licensure in one state (NY), and considering pursuing licensure in another state (CT). Does anyone have experience pursuing licensure simultaneously in two states? Do you just apply for the two states separately? How does that work with the EPPP? I need the NY licensure for my primary job (academic), but also considering the CT licensure since that is where I would like to do a little bit of private practice work.

You apply separately and follow the requirements of each state individually. You take the EPPP in whatever state allows you to sit and forward the score the other state. If there are any state specific requirement (classes, state laws test, etc) you complete those as well. It is fun times.

Reactions: 3 users
I got my second license in CT (first in MA), though not at the same time. Maybe look to see which state is more difficult or has more stringent requirements, and do that one first. CT was pretty easy in terms of reciprocity if already licensed elsewhere (though I seem to recall that it might have been something about being licensed for few years in good standing in another state). I've heard that NY is tougher. CT is relatively expensive ($500+ every year, vs. ~$270 every other year in MA). CT also has a ridiculous (IMHO) "veterans issues" CEU requirement, like a 1 hour training every other year is going to make me competent to work with a population I have no formal training or experience with (surprisingly, I don't see a lot of veterans in my toddler assessment practice).

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, people doing IME and forensic work are commonly licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Some have reciprocity, some have a streamlined process for ABPP people, some make you go through everything. As ABA noted, make sure you know the CE requirements for everywhere you are licensed.

Reactions: 4 users